March 21st, 2008

Bill Richardson to endorse Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/03/21/obama.richardson/art.obamafay.gi.jpg caption="Obama will receive the endorsement of former presidential rival Richardson on Friday."] (CNN) - Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico plans to endorse Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic race for president Friday, an Obama campaign spokesperson told CNN.

Richardson plans to join Obama at a rally in Portland, Oregon, at 12:30 p.m. Friday.

In an e-mail to supporters, Richardson said Obama will be a "historic and a great president, who can bring us the change we so desperately need by bringing us together as a nation here at home and with our allies abroad."

Richardson also said in the e-mail that he was touched by Obama's recent speech on race in America, saying he "understands clearly that only by bringing people together, only by bridging our differences can we all succeed together as Americans."

Richardson is the nation's only Hispanic governor. Hispanics have tended to support Obama's rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Full story

1. Sharon in FL

Appalling! I've lost all respect for Bill Richardson.

March 21, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. sharon

I truly agree with richardson, Obama could be a historical leader if elected President. I believe he is the only one that can really make a change in America. His speech, which was a very difficult one to make, shows that he is not afraid to do the unthinkable, talk of race and the problems with race, religion and the reason he chose to stay at his church.. Not only does he show his courage in addressing this issue, but can you imagine this man bringing together leaders of the world, and making real change. We may not agree with everything he says, or does, but he is not afraid to mention mistakes he has made. (That is something the other candidate has yet to do. ) Richardson's endorsement shows that he selected the best candidate to make change, even after he has been friends of the Clintons for a long time.

March 21, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Carlos

I am a Latino and a U.S. Citizen who has lived in the U.S. since I was 8 years old. I am 30 now and I cast the first vote in my life for Obama. I registered to vote because of Obama. I'm sure you can put me into a demographic pie chart that says young voters are for Obama and young Latinos are more likely to vote for Obama.

But my decision to vote Obama has nothing to do with my race, my religion, my income, or my age.

Initially I was going to vote for Clinton. But I watched ALL the debates, I heard all that every candidate had to say. Republican & Democrat. I can tell you the position that each candidate has on almost any issue. I looked up information about some candidates. I watched how each candidate conducted themselves during this election.

Obama is by far the best candidate (Republican or Democrat). Not because of his race, his age, or his religion.

Because he will not only do what is right for America; he will do it with Honor and Dignity.

March 21, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. Mildred

I think Richardson is a coward, and an opportunist. He just wants to be the VP and skate into the White House after Barack has been courageously taking blows by the Clinton machine, and others. If Barack wins the nomination he has won on his own merit, and doesn't need Richardson's support.

No VP for Richardson.

Obama 08

March 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. Jaime, Edinburg, TX

We Hispanics don't support Bill Richardson, so this attempt from Obama to get the Hispanic vote will not help at all. Sorry.
    Vote for Hillary!

March 21, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. James McBride

Bienvenido, Senor Richardson.

March 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. Krissy

This is HUGE!

March 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. Dan

Who NEEDS him?

Obama 08

March 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Hillary supporter

The Obama people are arguing that superdelegates should go the way the people in their state go. They should either not accept this endorsement, or shut up and let the independebt superdelegates vote their conscience. They cannot eat their cake and have it too.

March 21, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. ALBO

It is further important because of his influence on Latinos, especially in PUERTO RICO and in FLORIDA (should the be a re-vote there, even conidering that hi influence on the"caribbean" is less than on the
    "Mexicans" !

Will EDWARDS now follow up ??

ALBO

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. D N DC

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Saad

Richardson is a fine man.... and so is Senator Obama.... but in the context of heading the white house, unfortunately both of them, at least of this moment, are not qualified.

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Rohit Singh

Wish it was before Texas, Nevada and California but ok...better late than never.

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  14. Florida voter

I guess Bill R. didn't think a woman president would be historic? Puh – lease , talk about speaking in codes ... no matter, Obama (and his surrogates) can't seem to take their feet out of their mouths re: the Wright/race thing ... at this point, its just going more harm than good (looking to November), in my view.

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Jesus

As a Latino Richardson holds less clout in the community. It will all come down to Michigan and Flordida revoting and if they are not allowed to do so, do not expect Democrats there to just forget what happened in the primary.

Either allow a revote or lose the White House in November, it's as simple as that.

March 21, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Laura

omg!!!! our world will be in trouble if he gets the nomination.....GO HILLARY

March 21, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. Nick

And the truth emerges!

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  18. Connie

Thanks to Governor Richardson! I see this as a very meaningful endorsement, and think it would be nice to see him on the ticket with Barack.

OBAMA '08

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. Cliff CA

I thought Richardson had more integrity than that.

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  20. Jones in California

Bill Richardson, you did the right thing; even though, it seems it is coming a little bit late, but it is a wise choice. I commended you for this.
    Bill Richardson is a great man he doesn't own Clintons anything like other Hispanics think they do. He knows the problem, future, and solutions of this country home and abroad.
    We know that you will be a good president soon..
    God bless Gov.

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  21. JJ in NY

OH MY ! Time for hillary to start crying again .

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. Larry

I think Richardson is afraid the VP offer will go to Edwards. Plain and simple. This man is an opportunist and wants to sneak into the White House through the political backdoor, while others are working very hard to combat Clinton, McCain, and Bush.

Where was he earlier, Oh, hiding in Clintons' shadow.

Obama 08

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Chalermpol Intha

I disagree with Gov. Richardson.

March 21, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. The Perpetual Student

Great news!!! It will be interesting to see how the Clinton backers will spin this one!

March 21, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. fullbodytransplant

Would he make a great running mate, or what?

This may be the beginning of the unification. Three or four more on this level will seal the deal.

Thank you sir, this feels like a sigh of relief.

March 21, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |