April 1st, 2008

Clinton: How about a bowl-off for the nomination?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/01/art.clinton0401.ap.jpg caption="Clinton’s bowling solution was incredibly creative. And an April Fool’s joke."] (CNN) - Hillary Clinton challenged Barack Obama to a primary season bowl-off Tuesday, with the winner to top the party’s ticket this fall.

“And when this game is over the American people will know they’ll have a president who’s ready to bowl on day one. We don’t have a moment to spare because it’s already April Fools Day,” she told reporters at a Pennsylvania press conference.

The New York senator that added it was time for the Obama campaign “to get out of the gutter. For all the pins to be counted…” and said she would spot him two frames.

Clinton may have been joking – but in a winner-take-all bowl-off, she might have the edge. This Saturday in Altoona, Pennsylvania Obama came in a distant third in a three-way bowling game, finishing with an underwhelming score of 37 over seven frames.

“I was terrible,” the Illinois senator told the crowd at the bowling alley, according to the Associated Press. "My economic plan is better than my bowling.”

Responded one unimpressed bystander: "It has to be."

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Watch Obama struggle at the lanes

Watch Clinton issue her bowl-off challenge

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. William

I am so sick of Hillary it's not even funny.

All she tells is lies !

April 1, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. brandon

Finally something to smile about.
    Thanks Hillary, its been getting to tense.

April 1, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Hillary Clinton

Barack Obama is not a subversive radical..........as far as I know.

April 1, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Chris

Finally, a feud where neither of them ends up looking like a jerk.

April 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Ed from Ga.

That shows how little respect you have for the Commander in Cheif position. By the way, as for your Rocky analogy, remember that at least Rocky was pure of heart!

April 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. Steven from Seattle

How about dropping out of the race!

April 1, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  7. manny t

Clinton is getting crazy ideas since now she know she will not win I mean come on a bowl off the president of the united states is not won by bowling its won by have the best way to fix this countrys issues shows what kind of presidenet she would make.. Obama 08

April 1, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  8. Neutral

Is she serious? She's a joke.

April 1, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. sasha kando

I wonder whethe Obama was really trying to sweep the one already in the gutter down and away to the sewer? Yeah Hillary, reserve your words of praise for McCain and disdain for your democrat challenger. You and Bill have really shown yourselves in your true light these past months and if you are not the nominee this time, you should begin to wonder whether you would survive your next senate bid. As they say, you are what you "eat" and we have seen more than enough of what you've been "eating".

April 1, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. Theresa

Love it...great to see Mrs. Clinton keeping her sense of humour.. This is your race to win.

April 1, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. Kenneth M.

Good show Hillary. We in the Dem party must remember that Hillary is not a bad candidate. If not for Obama many of us would be supporting her. This display reminds us that we have more in common with her then not. I like Obama but like others this display reminds me that Hillary is on ourside, and should be respected as such.

April 1, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  12. Mark Webb

I don't like her humor.
    I feel no connection with her because of all her lies.
    She is so manipulative.
    Shewould surely tell lies from day one, that's all.

Show your tax returns first, and joke about yourself!

April 1, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. A MAMA THAT LOVES OBAMA!!!!

HILLARY WHY DON'T YOU JUST CUT IT OUT! YOUR JOKES AREN'T

EVEN FUNNY!! AND STOP TELLING MY MAN OBAMA TO GET OUT

OF THE GUTTER! TALK ABOUT DAY ONE, YOU'VE BEEN IN THE

GUTTER ATTACKING MY OBAMA SINCE DAY ONE AND I'M SICK OF

IT! HOW ABOUT YOU AND ME GET IN THE RING AND WRESTLE,

I BEAT YOU UP FOR TALKING SMACK ABOUT MY MAN, AND THEN

I WILL CROWN OBAMA FOR OUR NEXT PRESIDENT!!! NOW THAT'S

MORE AMUSING TO ME!!

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!! '08

April 1, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. Zac, OH

oooh, the cat takes a swipe...and misses...too bad...

April 1, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Lin

Bowl him over Hillary!

April 1, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. Tim, MN

I like her sense of humor...even though she is climbing an uphill battle. You are a strong woman/candidate Hillary!

April 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Ken, Austin TX

This lady is really deranged!

...and desperate to say the least!

April 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. shirley

Clinton wasn't trying to be funny here, she is insulting. How about Hillary release her tax returns from 2000 thru 2006, the other candidates have released theirs. She is not a viable candidate until she discloses her financial history. The Republicans will not ignore this non-disclosure.

April 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. joseph

to funny, i bowled an 80 something bowling between my legs, plus i thought blacks were better athletes than the typical white person.

April 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. Andrew

I challenge them both to a bowl off, I'm serious. Wait I'm not old enough to be president. Oh well, Amend the Constitution!

April 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  21. Your Conscience, CA

This is an Onion article right?

Tell me this is more than just an April Fools joke.

April 1, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. matt

That was halarius

April 1, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. BK

Thats probably what he is going to do to the country. Put it in the gutter.

April 1, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. Venus

Obama – just let Hillary keep going like she is or it's now time to start using sniper shots and her lies! This is why some people are calling for Hillary to get out! Hillary got upset with Bill Richardson when he had to tell her to tone it down.

April 1, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. The Dude

If it's a bowl-off Clinton wants, I think we should write-in The Big Lebowski. He'd win the nomination for sure.

April 1, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |