April 1st, 2008

Dean: Democrats will unify around nominee

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/02/art.deanhand0302.gi.jpg caption="DNC Chairman Howard Dean said Democrats will support the party's nominee."]
(CNN)—Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday a razor-thin margin of victory will not hurt the party’s unity so long as the elections are fair.

“One candidate is going to win with 50.2 percent of the votes and another candidate is going to lose by 49.8 percent of the votes,” Dean said. “I want to make sure that the candidate who doesn’t win this nomination feels they’ve been treated fairly according to the rules.”

Dean stressed again that he would like to see the race resolved by July 1—weeks before the party’s August convention.

Watch the entire interview today during the 4 p.m. hour of The Situation Room.

–CNN’s Emily Sherman

1. Ben-Portland

You all should know that you can vote for anyone by writing in; I used to think that was equal to throwing a vote away, and if you write in for Superman, I guess that is, but if it's for an actual candidate or former candidate with whom you're really connected and in whom you believe, I'm starting to think that it's not throwing a vote away... it's actually a good thing to do, which is why I'm voting for Obama no matter what. I really believe in him and I think he deserves, not only my vote in the Oregon primary, but also in the general election.

Those of you who claim to be Hillary supporters who'll vote for McCain I hope you're just kidding, because I can't figure out a singe issue in which that is a sane option... McCain over Obama? Write in for Hillary, if you're really that committed... unless you need to be committed, that is.

April 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. msk-

it will nor happen if the fl. and mic votes are counted. Clinton or MacCain.
    Hillary should consider going indepented. She will win.

08 Hillary

April 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Franky

Yeah, the party will "unify" just like Hillary's and Bill's marriage........OUCH!!!

TRUST ME guys, I got more where that came from....LOL!!!

April 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. Chris from San Antonio

Bunch of spoiled brat cry-babies, you Hillary supporters are.

"If my candidate doesn't win, I'm gonna let the Republicans controll the White House, the Iraq War, Healthcare and Social Security for 4 more years."
    Grow up.

April 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Alfredo

I agree with most of the responses. I have been a lifelong Democrat and if Hillary is pushed aside I and many of my friends will vote for McCain. So, Dr. Dean, you had better do something about Fla and MIch because that 40% number of Hillary supporters switching to McCain is not a fantasy but real.

April 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Josh

I don't care if Obama wins or loses in November as long as he beats
    Hillary. However, if hillary wins the nomination, I'll vote for her. I'll vote for either one of them as long is not McBush, (oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say McCain). Any true democrat will vote for either Obama or Clinton. The Clinton's supporters who said they won't vote for Obama if he wins the nomination have another issue, and we all know what it is.

April 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  7. Celia Ann

I am concerned about the Economy, I have family in Iraq. I am really concerned about my Step Daughter in Iraq. Terrorism here on U.S. Soil is extremely important to me. President Clinton pardoned 11 FALN members who bombed a restaurant in New York. The next year Sen Clinton won New York. That really scares and concerns me. I know that if Sen Obama is not the nominee, I have to vote for Sen McCain. I cannot vote for someone who would pardon convicted terrorists who are already behind bars.

April 1, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. Jot

How can Nancy Pelosi think that she can demand Bush to enforce demoncrancy in China when she is advocating to stop the democratic race before everybody has vote? Just because she supports Obama? Obama does not have the 2024 delegates required by the rules of the democratic party to win the nominee. There is no way you can support democrancy in another country when you are stopping it in your own.

April 1, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. YOU MADE THE RULES MR. DEAN

NOW YOU WILL LIVE BY THEM, EITHER FOLLOW THE RULES THE WAY THEY ARE WRITTEN, AND LETS ALL GO TO THE CONVENTION FLOOR, OR COUNT FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN VOTES.

IF NOT, YOU CAN SING HAIL TO THE CHIEF TO JOHN MCCAIN.

NO WAY WE ARE ACCEPTING A NOMINATION BY CHEATING.

April 1, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. Jo

According to Dean the contestants are separated by less than 1/2 of 1% and they are not counting 2 of the largest states and the losing side is supposed to think that is fair. Now that is wishful thinking.

Many of the Clinton supporters will vote for Obama because they are good democrats and really care about democratic issues. However every day that Obama supporters trash Clinton or insist that she withdraw more of her supporters tend to rethink voting for Obama if he is the nominee. Obama encourages and allows these horrible things to be said and one day he may wonder why 50% of the democratic party is not supporting him

April 1, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Hillary

I hope Hillary and her supporters start a new party. Then, Obama and his supporters can focus on the Republicans and the New Liars Party.

April 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. Independant

Everyone knows when the "smoke clears and the dust settles", only a Obama/ Clinton ticket will practically guarantee a Democratic victory in Nov.

April 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. kim portland, oregon

if only this were true, howie!

if it's obama, we've got a lot of insane hillary supporters who will vote mccain over obama-they better be careful what they wish/vote for....

so we will end up with a hot-head who needs anger management and who supports continuation of our occupation of iraq, another unwinnable occupation in iran, more bullying worldwide, tax cuts for the uber-rich, outsourced jobs, corporate welfare....all because some hilary supporters didnt get their way!

the longer this goes on the more rested mcsame gets, the more lies he creates, and the closer to becoming george bush he will become. obama needs to be free to fight mccain and all his lies and war-mongering ways, not fighting hilary waiting for the rovian way they plan on getting the nomination

April 1, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Bob, Bridgeport, Connecticut

I am wondering why Clinton supporters are blaming Obama for MI and FL not seating their delegates. WHY???? It was the democratic leaders of those states that put them in the situation. I have heard Hillary Clinton, PA Gov. Ed Rendell, and others in her camp say it is his fault. IT IS NOT HIS FAULT!!!! Oh, because he WON'T agree to BREAK the RULES. THAT would be politics as unsual! MI and FL democratic leaders are the reason. The Clinton says Obama is not allowing citizens have their voice heard because he WON'T agree the BREAK the RULES. The DNC made the rules and he WON'T BREAK the RULEs

April 1, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. Deb

Now I know why the Democrats are having such a hard time-It is you Howard Dean!

If the DNC had fully vetted Obama-he never would have been allowed in the race. Now we are stuck with an Ego Maniac that the press loves, but our children know as "The bad man who hates America"!

Hillary is the only viable candidate left, we should be backing her with everything we have, she is our only chance of getting the White House back.

I will never rally around BO. I will vote for anyone but BO.

April 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. Lala

Tampa; I want my vote counted! Go Hiliary or McCain 08

April 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. Michael Guinn- Ventura, CA

Nice to see the Hillary's Hate Club members are out in force.
    Are you REALLY Democrats?
    Clintonians for McCain--that's downright SICK.

April 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. jj

Sorry Dean, not going to happen, I want someone with Experience and that I know more about, things are just now coming out abut Obama, by Nov. there will be A LOT more. She lied about sniper fire, HE LIED ABOUT GOING TO CHURCH AND HAVING A MENTOR WHO IS A RACIST, about his house deal, about the people he has used and now backs down from. How many people does he own this campaign too>>>

April 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. Sinbad

End it Dean, so the dems can work towards getting indies and liberal repubs to replace these worthless” if it isn’t Hillary crybabies. Why waste your time waiting and telling people you will vote for McInsane, get on Mccain's train now. Hillary is going to lose. Tell your grandkids why they are fighting a war you idiots had an opportunity to stop. It is funny you think everyone in Fl and Mi feels like Hillary wanting a re-vote, because they don't. Hillary and those of her cult outside of those 2 states did not give a rat’s behind about them until Hillary found herself on other side of a Obama butt whipping. When she tries to run again in 2012 don’t think that everyone will forget how she and her cult tried to bully the party. No votes for you. Have a good day and God Bless.

April 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  20. RAY

The race won't be resolved until Florida and Michigan primaries results to be counted.

April 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. jp/michigan

It's to late Mr. Dean, the democratic party really made a mess of this. If you don't give Hillary , her fair share of the Florida votes, and you don't do a re-vote in Michigan so she has a fair chance. Hillary supporter will try to convince her to run as an independent, or we will vote for McCain. The DNC tried to hard to over look her and push Obama in the White House even though he is not the best candidate.

April 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. Jesse

I will not rally to Obama if he wins, with out counting all states.

April 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. demwit

Humpty Dempty sat on a wall; Humpty Dempty had a great fall.
    All the DNC’s horses and all the DNC's men couldn't put Humpty Dempty back together again..

April 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. Scott

sorry dean-o, you are out of touch with reality.........

you force an unqualified obama down our throats, we the Dem.

party base is going to revive the Regan Dem. syndrome.....

you and your superdelegates better listen up................

if you let the independents and turn coat republicans choose the nominee over your base. you will loose in Nov..

bowling green, Missouri

April 1, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. April in Texas

I pray this all gets resolved by July 1. MI and FL KNEW their votes wouldnt count and both canidates signed that they WOULDN'T count. To cry foul now is poor politics as when one breaks rules their are consequences. Take your anger out on those in the representatives in those states that thought they could move up dates without penalties. Its not Clinton's fault or Obama's fault its the state rep[s] fault. Clinton is attempting to be in the peoples corner but only because it will benefit her. Obama is merely trying to follow rules period. Wake up and do research. Use the internet ect..

Obama 08