April 3rd, 2008

Clinton denies telling Richardson Obama can't win

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Thursday disputed a report that she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election.

"I have consistently made the case that I can win because I believe I can win, and you know sometimes people draw the conclusion I'm saying somebody else can't win," she said at a Burbank, California press conference.

Pressed further if she had said Obama can't win, Clinton said, "That's a no."

Earlier Thursday, citing sources with “direct knowledge of the conversation,” ABC News reported Clinton once told Richardson, "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win."

UPDATE: A Hillary Clinton staffer tells reporters covering her campaign that the New York senator did not correctly hear the follow up question about whether or not she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election. The aide said Clinton thought she was being asked if she would divulge the private conversation that she had with Richardson and answered no.

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Celia Ann

WOW!!!! Bill didn't have a meltdown either, the 16 people in the room were lying and so was the newspaper. We just have to video tape everything from now on.

She is trying to smear Gov Richardson. Its pretty shallow

April 3, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. vanchava

She's lying

AGAIN

wow... this women is truly a disgrace

April 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Jeff Radun

Uless you had someone sitting with Bill, Hillary and Richardson there is no way you know what they said

April 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. truth matters

So Hillary is calling Richardson a liar?

Who is she to be calling someone else a liar? When did Richardson ever claim on three occasions that he dodged sniper fire?

April 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Jeff in WI

Like I believe you.

April 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Obama Supporter

Maybe the sniper fire in the background during the discussion caused her to misspeak.

April 3, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. yogi

She said it just like she said she ws under sniper attack

April 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Sean

She's constantly said that Obama can't win against McCain. She said it again today. Why is she lying again?

April 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Brandy

You can't believe a word that comes out of that woman's mouth! He say, she say....all day long. Hillary just do the Dems a favor and exit this presidential race!

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Angus McDugan

She seem to have another issue with the truth or her recolection of events.

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Marc in DeKalb, IL

... uhm, but yet you'll run smear campaigns that are designed to convince America that he can't win, yet you feel that, based on your statement... he can.

Oh, no wait, you are using DoubleSpeak... I'm sorry, I thought you had stopped being Hillary Clinton for a second.

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. matt w

what I would pay to hook hillary up to a lie detector. She would break the machine.

Pathetic, can't you even be honest during your final days?

April 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Greg

Yet another distortion of the truth by Hillary Clinton.

Stop the presses.

April 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. TAHARI, CT

Ummm, who ran...ducking snipper fire?

Why should we believe anything for the Clinton camp anymore?

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. mp

Is anything out of her mouth the truth?...Look elsewhere Cintonites.

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Grif

He's just digging deeper in his Garbage Can... Hillary..
    I would'nt worry ... He the Loser!!!

Come next Spring, he's Roots will also in question

April 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. maya

Why is the media attacking Hillary?! This is ridiculous and offensive- why air a private conversation – just to fan the flames and stir up something?! Come on- imagine if private conversations btwn Barack and Rev Wright were aired?! I'm sick of this.

I'll stick with Hillary. Because she has a better health care plan and a more progressive and detailed economic plan. Period.

April 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. michael, ny

It will be funny if it turns out somebody had recorded this conversation.

April 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Justin

oh, c'mon, even my 11-year-old son would image you've siad it. I am not a Richardson's fan, but it is the most nature and logical conversation you would have with him based on your personality.

Just admit it , it is off record, so what..

April 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Alonzo Demetrius

Lord help us, I sure hope she is right and that Obama can't win....

April 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Rancher in Hawaii

I can understand the misunderstanding. "Win" is the sound that a sniper's bullet makes.

April 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. DeWayne Jackson

You never say never, but she is definitely most "electable" of the two based on her experiences and solutions to the problems facing the USA.

She has become very humble and I know she knows that O'Bama is a force to reckon with, but I feel she knows that she is up against strong competition, but Hillary, just hang on in there. These last remaining 10 states along with Florida and Michigan will carry you on to the nomination in August.

Just continue to work hard and stay as consistent as you can.

You will be our next "President of these our United States of America".

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Ilene

Gee Hillary,
    Guess which one of you I believe. I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Dan (TX)

No one but me is supposed to win! It's not fair! Boo Hoo!

No, wait, where's that phone at 3 a.m. again? I "misspoke" dodging sniper fire answering the question.

Did I say that out loud?? 🙂

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Mike in Houston

"...I can win because I believe I can win". That's her "consistent case"?

April 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |