April 3rd, 2008

Clinton denies telling Richardson Obama can't win

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Thursday disputed a report that she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election.

"I have consistently made the case that I can win because I believe I can win, and you know sometimes people draw the conclusion I'm saying somebody else can't win," she said at a Burbank, California press conference.

Pressed further if she had said Obama can't win, Clinton said, "That's a no."

Earlier Thursday, citing sources with “direct knowledge of the conversation,” ABC News reported Clinton once told Richardson, "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win."

UPDATE: A Hillary Clinton staffer tells reporters covering her campaign that the New York senator did not correctly hear the follow up question about whether or not she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election. The aide said Clinton thought she was being asked if she would divulge the private conversation that she had with Richardson and answered no.

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jay Cunningham

This just goes to show the sense of entitlement that Hillary has to the Presidency. As polarizing a figure that she is, to suggest that she has a better chance of electability over Obama is laughable. I wonder what planet she is living on and how delusional she must be. After the last election though I guess when dealing with the general public anything is possible.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Chris from San Antonio

C'monl, guys. Clearly she misspoke.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. Rick

She may not have said it, but I will. He can not win the eletoral college. He can not win it if he can't win Ohio and Florida. MANY polls are showing that he would not win those states.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. op

If Obama can't handle a photo op do you think he is man enough for the job as a white african prez? He is only half black. Get your story right.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Venus

They are lying! The Clintons are doing in behind close doors because they don't want to lose black voters! They are pushing the Rev. Wright issue behind close doors big time!!!

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Kegel

Did Hillary Clinton "mis-speak" again??

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. California Voter

Anyone who accuses Hillary of lying with no actual proof is an ignorant fool. Show some respect for the former first lady, take her for her word, I dont believe YOU were there.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. Terry

Yeah Hillary, I believe you, just like I did when you ran for the Senate and you said you had no plans to run for President. If I had been a betting person I'd be rich now.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. Pho

I believe Bill. "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win" sounds typical HRC.

April 3, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. Unite the Democratic party

There is a common theme of the Clintons disputing verified accounts of other people. It's a shame that Clinton has led her ambition to trump any integrity she had left.

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. ATL - Atlanta

It's looking like it's time to vote republican unless Hillary can get it together.

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. Obama is a Joke

Bill Richardson is a joke just like Obama. I am Hispanic and I do nto support Barack...if Obama was the nominee, I will be voting for McCain.

I also remember Richardson indicating that endorements don't matter...so why did he endorse? He is like other politicians, they all say one thing and do the other...this includes Hillary and Barack...so don't hate Hillary for doin git if they all do it.

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. Tay

In 2 days she'll release a statement saying that she "misspoke".

I am not in the habit of publicly bashing Senator Clinton, but this whole business is verging on ridiculous at this point. While no one is willing to called her a bold faced liar, even her supporters should admit that she "miss-speaks" with alarming frequency.

These latest incidents are small things, but are symptomatic of a larger issue, I think. Questionable dealings and judgments have long been an earmark of the Clinton administrations (Flowers, Whitewater, Lewinsky, China...the list goes on).

Support Senator Clinton if that is your choice, but do it without the blinders on, if you please.

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  14. Bayou Joe

Let me say it for Bill. Obama you can't win. Not with the lack of experience and no record behind you. The Church connection is just icing on the cake. McCain and the Republican party will not be as nice to you as Bill and Hillary have been. You aint seen nothing yet,
    brother.

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. Dee JAY in miami

she said it she is a lier

obama 08

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Obama is a Joke

Bill Richardson is a joke just like Obama. I am Hispanic and I do nto support Barack...Richardson did not change my support....if Obama was the nominee, I will be voting for McCain.

Hillary 2008

April 3, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Jonah

I do not understand why the Clinton's are keeping the Richardson story alive, it just seems to be hurting them. What's the upside of this? A warning to other superdelegates that are considering switching..."we'll drag your name down in the press?"

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. KMAN

Hillary, you lost credibility a long long time ago ... so, if you're telling the truth now ... it's probably way too late to expect anyone to believe you!

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. chris from Oregon

Yes, while we will never know what what said or not, it sure smells like something she might say. It goes to her arrogance.

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  20. Jack

I will belive Bill Richardson any day before I will belive Bill and Hillary together. Even if my life was on the line.

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  21. tony

What this country needs is an African American/Mexican American Presidency to get us on track, so all of you Archie Bunker types calm down and enjoy the view.

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. Eagan

How do you know Hillary is lying?
    AS SOON AS HER MOUTH IS MOVING.

April 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  23. Chris Crew, WA

Before this campaign, I thought Hillary would make a good president.

Now, i have come to see that she is willing to tell one lie after another to get what she wants. Whether it be the specific details of Bosnian sniper fire or simply denying her past comments, it boils down to the same thing: She is not Trustworthy!

She also seems to be comfortable using FEAR tactics with her Ads containing 3am red phone moments mixed with sleeping children! lol That is just crazy and once again supports her not being trustworthy!

The saddest part is that she probably could have won if she would have been more honest with the public. Rather than calculate every word, Hillary should have given the public the honesty that we are so desperately looking for.

Every time Hillary is caught being dishonest, Obama wins over a few more past Hillary supporters like me. Its quickly becoming an Obama Naiton!

April 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. JN

"As far as I know" I didn't say he couldn't win.

April 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  25. An Agnostic Democrat

Oh, come on! Give her a break! She was under sniper fire and sleep deprived! Does anyone have a heart anymore for this poor, suffering, contrary candidate? When have we ever seen her "word" go against the "facts"?

April 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |