April 3rd, 2008

Clinton denies telling Richardson Obama can't win

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Thursday disputed a report that she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election.

"I have consistently made the case that I can win because I believe I can win, and you know sometimes people draw the conclusion I'm saying somebody else can't win," she said at a Burbank, California press conference.

Pressed further if she had said Obama can't win, Clinton said, "That's a no."

Earlier Thursday, citing sources with “direct knowledge of the conversation,” ABC News reported Clinton once told Richardson, "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win."

UPDATE: A Hillary Clinton staffer tells reporters covering her campaign that the New York senator did not correctly hear the follow up question about whether or not she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election. The aide said Clinton thought she was being asked if she would divulge the private conversation that she had with Richardson and answered no.

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Sara Shamili

Yes. Since you are so honest, everybody will believe you. Too late, my dear.

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Ruben

WOW... I kind of have this feeling SHE IS LYING AGAIN!!! I think she will go down in history as the candidate who lied the most during a primary election. Unbelievable!

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Melanie, Female Texan for Obama

She's a liar. Good for whoever leaked this. I was really wondering what the "uncomfortable" conversations with her are like.

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Mike, Arkansas

LOL here we go again. I really truely believe Richardson over Clintons anyday. Clintons lives have been so full of lies for many many years and I have not seen any long length of honesty to show me or prove to me that they have changed one bit.

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Madison , PA

One more lie Bill and Hillary Clinton: I did not have sex with Monica...
    I aws in Bosnian under snipers... What else... You are losing your credibility... We don't want a liar president.. Go Obama or Go Mccain....!!!

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. Tex'un

Perhaps Hillary was under sniper attack at the time–and her memory failed again.

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. bill

We had gone more than 7 minutes without a story trying to make hillary look bad based on rumors. Glad to see the unbiased media is right on top of things. When did he-said she-said become news over actual fact checking and important issues?

Way to feed the Obama cult. Obama can 'forget" when he was in church but any ugly rumor is fair game in tearing down a strong woman.

Hang in there Hillary!

April 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Jackson

Whether she said it or not ... NObama can't win!

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. TEO

Once again a selective memory! Give it up already. You're done and I use to like you.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. HRC, it's over babe

He says, she says....who should I believe?
    Can I believe someone who has been caught red handed telling bold face lies?
    Think twice Clintonites....

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. Theresa

Her "that's a no" reminds me of Bill's "i did not sleep with that woman." Who is she kidding? We haven't caught Bill Richardson misspeaking about sniper bullets.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Tex

Another Hillary "misspeak." Hillary and Bill no longer really know what the truth is. So sad! And Hillary and Bill didn't sic James Carville and let him attack the Hispanic New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. mimi de la cruz

THE CLINTONS ARE LIARS. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND

BELIEVES A WORD THEY SAY.

April 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Me

Dear Heavens are we suppose to believe she did not say this? Perhaps she was to busy dodging sniper fire to remember her comments.

April 3, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Deb

This is news???????????

April 3, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Cindy- St. Louis

Hillary is LYING AGAIN? This is news??

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. BRICE, GREENVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINE

this is too funny. are people actually going to vote for her now that she has been caught in another lie. lets count: 1. nafta 2. bosnia 3. he can't win. I know there are more. this reminds me of the bill clinton impeachment when bill tried to redifine the meaning of the word IS.

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. david goldman

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!THE CLINTONS LYING AGAIN. CAN'T BE.

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. Gobama from IB

For the love of God and Country, would somebody – anybody- please tie the bell on Hillary?!?

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I watched this interview with Hillary and she wouldn't deny that she told Richardson Obama couldn't win. Therefore, it leaves one with only the truth, she did say that to Richardson. Hillary continues to be her own worst enemy and create her own demise in this campaign.

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Michael

Another lie!

She goes around telling people that only she and NOT Obama can win and now denies it?

People of PA!

Observe this candidate very well, she's a liar and has no base. She'll do everything low and nasty to get your vote. Don't

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  22. A. Boston, MA

Is she a pathological lier or what?

April 3, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. marcus

too bad we cant believe a word out of you mouth Mrs. Sniper Fire.... ahem i mean Clinton

OBAMA\GORE08

April 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. No Hillary

Yea yea yea.... you and Bill Clinton are always right and others are always wrong......

April 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. Ceci

i don't think so either.

April 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |