April 3rd, 2008

Clinton denies telling Richardson Obama can't win

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Thursday disputed a report that she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election.

"I have consistently made the case that I can win because I believe I can win, and you know sometimes people draw the conclusion I'm saying somebody else can't win," she said at a Burbank, California press conference.

Pressed further if she had said Obama can't win, Clinton said, "That's a no."

Earlier Thursday, citing sources with “direct knowledge of the conversation,” ABC News reported Clinton once told Richardson, "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win."

UPDATE: A Hillary Clinton staffer tells reporters covering her campaign that the New York senator did not correctly hear the follow up question about whether or not she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election. The aide said Clinton thought she was being asked if she would divulge the private conversation that she had with Richardson and answered no.

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Barbara

And we know Richardson can't be trusted. He is out for himself. Anyone involved with Obama can't be trusted and forever loses my vote.

April 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. CHERYL

HOW LOW WILL THEY STOOP?

MAN WHY HASN'T SOMEONE COME OUT WITH THE REZKO DIRT ON OBAMA?

I WANT THIS DIRT BAG GONE!!!!!!

BEFORE HE CAN BUY THE NOMINATION AND WE END UP WITH McCAIN!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR HILLARY PEOPLE!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. HRC, it's over babe

Is this what we are going to be facing if Hillary should ever get back to the White House.
    This whole episode stinks and I would really not want our President to always be the subject of Perjury investigation always. As a result, I am switching to Obama, at least he has got intergrity.

April 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Dallas

What's wrong with saying that?

April 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. Carol

She should start writing down her lies so she can keep track of them. She keeps getting caught.

April 3, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. FrankSmith

If this nation can fall for the lies of the Clintons in recent years, I do not think Richardson has a chance here. I mean those people who go out to vote for any Clinton after all the sins of the past that they have presented to this nation should stop and think again!

April 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Tae

I'm sure she's lying because both she and Bill have publicly said that McCain and Hillary would be good Presidents and loved the country, but Obama was "questionable". Now why should we believe that she wouldn't say that on a private phone conversation?

April 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. pmet

She is lying! What a disgraceful, sad woman.

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. Angie, Charlotte NC

I believe her. Richardson must have misunderstood her with all that sniper fire going on.

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Beetlejuice

And Bill claimed Richardson told him that he would not endorse Obama. Clinton claims Richardson said this "to my face 5 times".

In print, in an editorial earlier this week, Richardson denied he ever told Clinton that. Ever.

I think the truth and the Clinton's are becoming more and more estranged...

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. Cindy

I just love it when people say, "shes lying, she's lying, she's lying."

Do you hear yourselves? You sound like a bunch of 1st graders!! lol

April 3, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. sumner

Presumably, the "direct sources" have no inherent reason to lie. She has every reason to lie, as she did with the story about bullets flying around her head.

If it's Clinton vs McCain, I might have to sit it out. I don't trust anything she says, nor do I think she could unite the country in any way at all. Probably just the opposite.

April 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. Miguelito

Bill says otherwise Hillary. Which Clinton is lying this time? WAKE UP LATINO/AS It's time to switch sides.

April 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  14. Dan

Maybe she was sleep deprived. This is ridiculous on her part. An answer like, "I don't recall it that way but hey does it really matter. Let's just call it a wash and move on," would sound so much more honest.

April 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. Bryan

"""""""""Hilliary""""""""
    """""Don't worry""""""
    The higher OBAMA surporters raise him""" the harder he will Fall """"
    I am quite sure that a lot of American people will wet their pants with
    laughter when OBAMA looses the nomination I am sure that I will.

April 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  16. Think - FL

Somehow I believe Mista Richardson more... Dunno quite what it is, but I just do! (heaviest sarcasm imaginable).

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. Guillermo

Richardson is a traitor and do not represent the Latins because in New Mexico the winner was Hillary., same as in the other States with
    big Latin population. He is always looking for his personal convenience and his recent attitude against the Clintons reveal him as a not reliable person .

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  18. Daryl

JEFF- Amen! I dispise Hillary but I agree with you. Thank god I don't have to vote for her in the general election.....I think.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Devon Perry

Seriously how desperate is this lady? Obama '08 the first politician to treat us like adults in 25 years.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  20. mary

Richardson won't tell the truth.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. DFoster

She did say McCain would make a better President. I guess she would vote republican if she doesn't get the nomination.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. Brian, Allentown

After listening to the lies that have come out of her mouth this year, I'm disinclined to believe Hillary on this. It seems that she's simply upset that she lost another supporter.

Looks like the ship is taking on water and the captain is still trying to keep it afloat.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. Kristina

hillary sure is sending mixed messages

I just think she's trying to save her reputation once Obama gets the nomination.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  24. Amit, NY, NY

She MISSPOKE. It's not her mistake.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  25. Jen B.

Methinks the lady is "misspeaking" again.

April 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |