April 3rd, 2008

Clinton denies telling Richardson Obama can't win

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

Clinton said Thursday she never said Obama can't win.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Thursday disputed a report that she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election.

"I have consistently made the case that I can win because I believe I can win, and you know sometimes people draw the conclusion I'm saying somebody else can't win," she said at a Burbank, California press conference.

Pressed further if she had said Obama can't win, Clinton said, "That's a no."

Earlier Thursday, citing sources with “direct knowledge of the conversation,” ABC News reported Clinton once told Richardson, "He [Obama] cannot win, Bill. He cannot win."

UPDATE: A Hillary Clinton staffer tells reporters covering her campaign that the New York senator did not correctly hear the follow up question about whether or not she once told Bill Richardson she didn't think Barack Obama could win in a general election. The aide said Clinton thought she was being asked if she would divulge the private conversation that she had with Richardson and answered no.

Filed under: Bill Richardson • Hillary Clinton
  1. Kathy Jourgeson

Hillary and Bill are desperate. They continue to lie and distort the truth. If she is doing this now what's to say she won't lie while in office. Barack is the only honest person in this race.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. Slick Hilly

I didn't say he can't win. I said he can't be allowed to win. Because it's my turn. Mine! Mine! Mine!

That said, Obama can't win because I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure he loses - either in the primaries or the general.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Phil Thompson

Jeff – Thats just the point – the story says there WAS someone sitting there in the room with Bill, Hillary and Gov. Richardson. This is a first hand account of an unamed source of what they heard not what they were told or read. You can argue with the story based on the anonymity of the source but not what they say they heard.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. Ruben

No no no she IS NOT LYING... remember she is just "misspeaking"...

America, let´s not vote for the biggest, unashamed liar in politics today.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Susan

The bottom line is that only ardent supporters care. Most people don't even care if she lies. We don't seem to care about that with politicians anymore. Sad.

But I'm old fashioned. I doubted her honesty but voted for her in the past in the primary and for senator. I can no longer vote for her, not for president, not for senator from my state of NY, not for governor.

I really don't know if she is lying now. Granted! But I'm inclined, since Bosnia, to think she is.

April 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. jyh1920

She said it. She gave too much of an explanation. Usually when people lie, they say too much.

She should have flat out said "NO! I never said such nonesense"

Instead she said,

C'mon, He isn't stupid.
    She said it...Now she's lying AGAIN...

April 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  7. Guillermo

Richardson do not represent the Latins because in New Mexico the
    winner was Hillary, same as in the other States with big Latin
    population. His recent attitude against the Clintons reveal him as a
    not reliable person.

April 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. Jeremy

Hillary Misspoke....take her words, Just Words!!

April 3, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. Jeff

Why even ask this woman something like that? NOTHING she says anymore has ANY credibility, so why bother to ask? Its like confronting a child known to lie, with chocolate all over her face, asking, "did you get into the candy?" "No" will be the reply. Why bother to ask? Do so just creates another oppotunity for the liar to reinforce their self-destrucitve behavior.

April 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Lorrie

Seems that desperate times bring on desperate actions and behavior. If Hillary loves America like she says she does, back away, so we can start a new America. If this goes on we will have 4 more Bush years, and America would truly be in a state of beyond repair. We should just come together and beat John McCain, and maybe we can all breathe again.

April 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  11. Alex

I suppose she just "mispoke" again.

April 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Kim Foster

Hillary Clinton has run the more honest campaign. With her, what you HAVE SEEN over these many strenuous, dedicated, and always "Democratic" with a big D, years is what you will get. The popularity contest OBama has run is discouraging and disheartening. The group think, including major media of all forms, surrounding Obama's rise to his current position has been a scary thing to watch. Oh fellow Democrats, do not think that blind faith and blind following is limited to only the Conservative Right Wing in our country.

April 3, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. C Watson

With all that noisy sniper fire in the background, maybe Bill thought she misspoke.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. Ryan

Why would Bill R. lie??

The Clintons have a history of lying.

STOP THE CLINTON MACHINE!!

To the people of the states left to vote. She is not who this nation needs as the democratic nominee. Vote against her in the upcoming primaries.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Cliff

Apparently, Governor Richardson is seeking the attention he was denied while campaigning for President. After a dismal performance at the ballot box, Mr. Richardson, who apparently can't get over himself, seeks publicity any way he can, none of which has been admirable.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. Texas4Obama

I don't believe anything that woman says!

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Ginia

I believe Hillary is telling the truth, just like the Bosnia landing. I now have made up my mind for whom I will vote.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Aaron G. West - Jackson, Mississippi

Yea Right..........!

Please Hillary stop it?

LIAR LIAR .............. pants on FIRE ......!

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. JL

4:41pm: I think they're saying they have people who were actually sitting with Bill, Hillary and Richardson, and those people are saying she's lying.

Which seems to be her way. Sad.

April 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. DB

Lie, deny, deflect, project. Clintons at there best. Please go away.

April 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Scott C

I think I can see her now 5% lead in Pennsylvania slipping a little more.

Again she is lying...

People are already abandoning her in huge numbers because of how negative she is... and because she is a liar.

This covers BOTH of those things... she is lying about being incredibly negative.

If the Bosnia LIE didn't sink her enough, here is another cannonball to the hull of her ship.

April 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Jack

I guess she is misspeaking again and again and again. She is not good at lieing at all.

April 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. Ken Barton

Just another sign that Clinton will do anything to win this election. I guess she doesn't realize that it is near impossible.

Now is the time that we support Obama as our nominee.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. Jordan

She lied again, bottom line. I'm asking for her to drop out not because i support Obama but for her own sake. With lies like this how can she expect to win in November.

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Nancy riley

how much truth comes out of Hilary...or should we clarify and say political truth?

April 3, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |