April 8th, 2008

Clinton: NCAA result is 'my kind of outcome'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/04/art.candid.gi.jpg caption=" The race appears to be narrowing in Pennsylvania."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Crossing paths with rival Barack Obama at a union event Tuesday morning, Hillary Clinton compared herself to the come-from-behind NCAA champion Kansas Jayhawks.

“A few of you were up late watching that game last night,” she told a gathering of the Communications Workers of America in Washington, D.C. “Great comeback, right? My kind of outcome.”

The Jayhawks tied the Memphis Tigers with just 2.1 seconds left to go in regulation before scoring an overtime victory Monday night.

She said that the union members knew what it was like to go up against big odds: “You know what it’s like to be told to go away, to quit. I know a little something about that too,” she said, to cheers from the crowd.

Both Democratic candidates, who got a warm reception from the labor corwd, were addressing a union audience Tuesday for the first time since Clinton’s chief strategist, Mark Penn, resigned amid controversy, after helping Colombian leaders push for a free trade agreement she opposed.

The New York senator focused most of her fire on John McCain as she looked to reassure them that she opposes a potential free trade pact with Colombia.

There can be "no trade deal with Colombia while violence against trade unionists continues," she said, adding that she would continue to push Congress to reject the deal.

Taking the stage after Clinton, Barack Obama - whose economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, grabbed headlines for allegedly assuring Canadian officials he was not as opposed to NAFTA as his campaign trail rhetoric suggested - also vowed to fight the deal, and pointed to a host of other trade agreements he had publicly criticized.

“What I refuse to accept is that we have to sign trade deals that put the interests of multinational corporations ahead of the interests of American workers. I refuse to accept that we should sign trade deals that lack enforceable labor and environmental standards,” said Obama.

The 700,000 member strong CWA is the largest remaining unclaimed labor prize, along with the United Auto Workers. The union decided last fall that it would not back a candidate during the Democratic primary process, although it freed its member unions to make their own endorsements.

1. VW, Montgomery, AL

Jan, Obama never said that he VOTED against the war, he said that he was AGAINST the war from the beginning. Just as I was, a regular citizen. So please get your facts straight. Just because he wasn't able to vote against it doesn't mean he was pro-war, pro-iraq....

April 8, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Colin

Hey Gary, please stop your uneducated ranting. I'm a young voter and I have a feeling I understand this election alot more then you do. You claim and I will admit that I am lacking the "mortality to vote." I'm not sure if you know but mortality is defined as the state or conditon of being subject to death, which unless I am much mistaken has nothing to do with voting. Do me a favor, if your going to yell at us, at least do it in proper English.

April 8, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. Leslie

Why is it that YOU the MEDIA have to be so negative against Hillary! Why can you not see she is a great person and someone who doing something so great! McCain and Obama have made so huge flubs and have sorry supporters who discriminates. I am beginning to feel some of YOU in the media are causing this DIVISION!

What is it? Are you afraid to have a WOMAN as our POTUS! Are you so sexist you have to smear her every day?

I am so disapointed in CNN and I am most importantly getting tired of all the smear tactics. I think some of you need to go back to school and retake Journalism 1001.

April 8, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Brad Burklow, Harrisburg, IL

Um how come Agnostic Democrats post about "jamming a basketball down her throat" is ok. Hello mr. moderator person!!!! What is CNN paying you for?

April 8, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Farren Ballanst

I give Hillary points for being willing to compare herself to anything from Kansas–now that's self-depricating!

April 8, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. Bennet

I sincerely hope that after Hillary loses the nomination that she will turn her fire to John McCain, and not continue to gripe about to officiating in the primary race. For some reason I can see her being a sore loser, and getting the "well, if I can't be president, Obama can't either" mentality. Hil' do us a favor and the right thing when you lose this primary race: back Obama with all you've got, because you know – it may be deep down and hidden behind your last months of campaigning, but you know – that Obama would be a better president than McCain.

You may have a tough time convincing your obstinate following though...

April 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Stacy Clarks,

Since when was Hillary the underdog?!?!

the same woman who acts like the nomination is her birthright?!?!?!

the same person who was supposed to have got this thing in the bag since super tuesday?!?!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. Michael

"A few of you were up late watching that game last night,” she told a gathering of the Communications Workers of America in Washington, D.C. “Great comeback, right? My kind of outcome.”

I can almost be certain she stole those words from Obama. lol.

April 8, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Herman LA, CA

This woman is so dam ignorant, arrogant and self-centered it a shame.

Just go Hillary, just go...

You make me sick on the stomach…

1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner an "arrogant official"

April 8, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Barb L. Miller Florida

So, let me get this straight....Clinton's supporters say its better to go
    with the devil you know (Clinton) , then to go with the devil you don't know (Obama). Are you people for real.? She can't run her own campaign and you think she's capable of running a country. Wait till Americans learn that Bill Clinton was paid consultant for INFOUSA ( a data base that targets senior citizens for scams). He has foreign governments paying him (both China and India) and investigations are currently going on right now to see who contributed to their Library. Eight years in the White House is enough, time for new blood. No more Clintons and no more Bushs.

April 8, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Marc in DeKalb, IL

EXCERPTS FROM CLINTON'S MIND:
    NCAA is "my kind of outcome" ... look at me, I am just like all of you blue collar sports fans!

Basketball is where you put a textured brown ball into some sort of hoop-like receptical, correct?

Hey, where did I put my Yankees cap?

Er, wait, does America have a team whose hat I can wear? I almost forgot what I was running for.

===

We see through you, Clinton.

Anyone but Hillary in '08

April 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. In Chicago

Damage has already been done – let's move on

April 8, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Saqib

I think a more fitting analogy would be to compare Clinton to Memphis. They played well and got a big lead, but then blew it. The only difference is that in the last 10 seconds or so of the game, when Kansas had a 7-point lead and Memphis they couldn't possibly come back, they stopped playing. They could have played dirty and kept fouling, but instead they lost gracefully. If last night's result were really Clinton's "kind of outcome", she would do like Memphis did in that last 10 seconds and bow out.

April 8, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Donald, SC

Joanne & Amy in Iowa,

Some politicians lie, others embellish their stories, and a few stick to the truth. Our hope is that we can find the most trustworthy of the folks who run for a particular office. Experience good, knowledge better, however honesty is the most important. Any time we consistently catch a politician lying and continue to support that person, we need to ask ourselves why and how bad the other candidates really are. If our answer is based on the fact that we simply like a particular candidate, then maybe we need to look at ourselves. Else, just go ahead a vote for which candidate you wish. In the end, we get what we ask for.

April 8, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Juliet

posted by Hillbilly

HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE STAND THERE AND TALK ABOUT A WOMAN WHO HAS FOUGHT FOR OUR CIVIL RIGHTS FOR SO LONG WHO HELPED WITH HER HUSBANDS PRESIDENCY AND MADE OUR COUNTRY STRONGER FOR IT
    SHE IS NO LIAR . GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU KNOCK HER SO. YOU NO NHOTHING ABOUT THIS OBAMA HE COULD BE A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING BE VERY CAREFUL BAND IT MAY COME AND BITE YOUECAUSE THE TIME WILL COME WHEN WE WILL FIND THE TRUTH AND IT MIGHT COME BACK TO BITE YOU.HILLARY IS THE ONE TO VOTE FOR WE KNOW HER
    DONT BE SO STUPID

I am sure you have not idea WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Whose civil rights yours lmao. Some people. I am a lunch bucket white person, that is what the clinton campagin is referring to us poor white folk as uneducated and lunch bucket hill billies. Too funny, BUT THIS HILL BILLY IS CERTAINLY A VERY SMART INDIVIDUAL WITH "COMMON SENSE" so there fore I say, Hillary needs to get a grip and bow out. because this lunch bucket uneducated white person is voting for OBAMA 08...

Hillbilly, you are showing your lunch bucket ignorance. Which is by the way what the Hillary camp banks on. Stupid people like you.

April 8, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. Lanny Davis

I am like Rocky.
    I am like Kansas.
    Is it really a comeback when once upon a time you were supposed to coronated and due to your 90s mentality you ride in Hillacopters in Iowa and stay in plush "royal" accomdations and waste campaign money to less than zero, you get your pantsuit kicked in delegate count, you have 48 different personalities (all w credibility issues), you wink-wink foreign govts and create lies to cover up, you fire but keep penn, you duck sniper fire ... this is all so 90s. Excess, waste, all trick plays, no fundamentals.

April 8, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. Fred TN

The Clintons are finally being seen for who they really are. Despite the public face they put on things; the spin is all the things we've seen throughout this campaign. I sit in awe of some of tactics. Barack made an interesting statement in one the debates "I'm beginning which Clinton I'm running against".. I'd wondered the same thing. I at one time admired the Clintons until many truths about their character has come into play. For the sake of the party, Hillary needs to wrap it up! If this is an indication of how she'll run the white house, I'm moving to Paris!

April 8, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. James

Hillary is kidding herself....When she fouls him, Obama can hit his free-throws. No overtime this time.

Jayhawks = #1 in '08
    Obama = the Prez '09

April 8, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Brian

So I guess her attacks on Obama were the last ditch foul efforts we thought they were. I can make comparisons too.

April 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Diane, Florida

Hillary – ALL THE WAY IN 08 !!

April 8, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  21. Laura, France

I am surprised at the level of ignorance and arrogance of Clinton's supporters. It's tragic for America.

April 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. Craig

Hillbilly, Youns is right, she is a fiter fer us small peoples. She will fight fer the doktor care wes need, and uther stuff two. I wish peeples would be nice to her, cause they should, you gnow like luvin yer naeber like Bill always done.

April 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. Marylou

I am surprised at the level of ignorance and arrogance of Obama supporters. Worse tragedy ever for the United States. Go Hillary, you are the best

April 8, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  24. Uncle Sam

Why is Obama the media favorite?

April 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. Amy

Who is this woman? One day she's running from sniper fire, Rocky; and now she's NCAA basketball player who will hit the winning shot. I guess next month, she will be Kobe Bryant.

April 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |