April 8th, 2008

Clinton's bowling skills a bit rusty

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/07/art.clintonbowl.ap.jpg caption=" Clinton had a tough time bowling on the Ellen show."]

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton is lucky Barack Obama didn't bite on her April Fools Day wager.

Appearing on the talk show Ellen Monday, the New York senator showed her bowling skills may be every bit as lacking as those of her chief rival. On a makeshift bowling alley on the show's set, Clinton missed the pins entirely on her first try, and only knocked out one on her second and final attempt.

Her bowling performance follows that of Obama, who scored only a 37 at a Pennsylvania bowling alley earlier this month. Obama later called that score "terrible," and joked, "My economic plan is better than my bowling," to which a fellow bowler quipped, "It has to be."

Clinton herself later ribbed Obama for the display, challenging him to a "bowl-off" for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"A bowling night. Right here in Pennsylvania. The winner take all," she said. "I'll even spot him two frames." Clinton quickly revealed that was an April Fools Day joke.

She told reporters later on her campaign plane she even has her own bowling ball, bag, and shoes from her days in the White House, though acknowledged she hasn't bowled since those days.

1. Bayou Joe

That is the decider for me. Bowling skills are necessary to be President, so neither of them are qualified to be President. What if they had to bowl to win the war in Iraq. Or maybe just to raise funds for charity. Nope that does it for me. Mcain in 08

April 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Susan S.

I don't care how either of them bowls, I just want a candidate not in thrall to lobbyists.

That rules out Clinton. (The Mark Penn business is disgraceful but totally in character with everything we know about her.)

Obama 08 & 12.

April 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. @americans

this woman thinks the presidency is a joke; typical of Billary calling Obama names but not having the 'balls' to back it up!

Billary lied about Nafta/Colombia-trade deals; she got caught on it!
    Billary lied about Bosnia sniper fire-foreign experience; she got caught on it!
    Billary lied about the hospital/deceased woman-to boost her socialist healthcare agenda; she got caught on it!

BILLARY LIED ABOUT BOWLING, SHE CAN'T EVEN MOVE A MUSCLE – NOW THE JOKE IS ON YOU FAT LADY!!!!

BILLARY, DO US ALL A FAVOR AND DROOOOOOOOOOOOOP OUT!!!!

April 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Patriot

Were the bowling balls made in the USA or China. I bet China.
    LOL>BOWL me OVER.

April 7, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Goody - OR.

The Mark Penn story is huge? You mean as huge as the Samantha Power resignation was!!!

Go Hillary!

April 7, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. Tae

I can't stand Hillary, but this story is amusing. Both she and Obama need to stick to politics...lol.

April 7, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Kim

Tooo much! Ellen is my new hero. Can Hillary get Anything done right?

April 7, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. clinton

did anyone hear this press conference. it was off-tone, strange and ultimately just plain not funny.

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. Former Obama Supporter

I LOVE YOU HILLARY!!!!

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Realist

Although Hillary has experienced problems with her campaign and those who work for her, none of these problems can compare with Obama's history. CNN rarely mentions Obama anymore because when they do, people remember his pastor and they hope people will forget about his 20 year experience as a major player in a racist and America hating church which is an integral part of Obama's resume. I've spoken with a lot of people and believe me Obama fans, people are not going to forget this. Being a part of a racist church is not something Obama is going to be able to overcome believe me.

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Mike

Well of course, it matches her character and political phylosophy.

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. Hispanics now for Obama

This looks familiar. Didn't she use her "I'm still a human" image in the media on SNL and the Daily Show right before the Ohio and Texas primaries to win. I wonder if Ellen and Jay Leno can help her this time 🙂

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. george

Give me Obama anytime. Days to be fooled are over. Can anyone remember Bush lying and taking us to war with comic? Time to be serious with our next President!

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. John

Can she make a fool of herself anymore than she already has?

April 7, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Hispanics now for Obama

April 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Mike NY

Why is she always trying to chase the joke lately? I think it may have worked once in the last 4 months but this is getting a little old. Her sense of humor comes off as a phony attempt to win over people.

April 7, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Marylynette Ferguson

Just another exaggeration. I can't trust that woman in the White House. How will we know truth from exaggeration?

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Reality check #1

Hillary was great on Ellen today! The woman not only knows politics but she has a great sense of humor. She was so funny and was great on Jay Leno as well. Unlike Obama, Hillary can talk the talk without a written script. This is one tough woman, I admire her so much for continuing on with her campaign. I doubt Obama could have held up to all that Hillary has held up to. We would have found him in a corner crying.

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. debbie

Waiting for the duck hunt , ala ,John Kerry...What a phoney...PLEASE GO AWAY!

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. R1100RTSE

Give her a break. That's almost certainly the first time she's ever even held a bowling ball. That won't play in PA.

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. April in Texas

Sorry Hillary.. Trying to change the subject and attempt to lighten us with humor isnt going to get you off the topics and issues at hand.. Mark Penn the hospital story debunked, NAFTA contradictions and the missing funds from those tax returns. I will bowl against you if you will leave when I win. I own my own ball bag and shoes and have never been near the whitehouse and make 30k not 109million.

Obama 08

April 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. carol

Voter from PA

This stuff will not do for her.

109 million dealing with foreign goverments,

Mispoke-Bosnia sniper,

mispoke of lady in Ohio hospital-scary story

fool me once.....................!

anyway, hard to keep up with this woman.....

Give me mccain any time!

April 7, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. jose

c-clinton
    n-network
    n-news or am i just speculating!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. Craig, Seattle, WA

Kevin.. lighten up.. ur man Obama is already in the gutter.

April 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Angus McDugan

Oh Hillary... You are so one of us. I can tell now that you are bowling which is somethign we do. Well... except we did not make $109,000,00.00 in the last few years.

April 7, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |