April 11th, 2008

Clinton hunts for urban votes in Philadelphia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/11/art.clintoncrime.ap.jpg caption="Clinton unveiled a new crime fighting plan Friday."]PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - On the face of things, with its sizeable African-American population, Philadelphia looks to be friendly territory for Barack Obama by the time the Pennsylvania primary rolls around on April 22.

But Hillary Clinton is making a push Friday for the urban vote, holding two policy-oriented events in the city to spotlight the twin issues of crime and the economy.

Appearing at a YMCA in west Philadelphia this morning with Mayor Michael Nutter, who yesterday signed into law a series of controversial anti-gun measures, Clinton unveiled a plan to cut the national murder rate in half.

Introducing Clinton, Nutter urged the federal government to provide more assistance to mayors around the country working to put ex-offenders back to work and protect families from violent crime

“Here in west Philadelphia, we’re worried more about Al Gangsta than al Qaeda,” Nutter joked. “Osama bin laden and some of those other folks couldn’t last five minutes in west Philadelphia.”

Though Clinton did not outline a target date for reducing the murder rate, Clinton said she plans to do so by putting “100,000 new police officers on the beat” in cities nationwide and providing grants for community partnerships, reducing gang violence and after school programs. She said as president she would renew the assault weapons ban, which Congress let expire in 2004.

“It is a sad day in America when the president can find hundreds of billions of dollars to police another country’s civil war, but cuts funding for police officers right here at home,” Clinton said.

Clinton offered praise for a program instituted in New York City by her old rival: former mayor Rudy Giuliani. The program, called COMPSTAT, compiles statistics as a way to hold law enforcement bodies accountable for crime reduction. Giuliani often promoted the program while campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination.

After the speech and before heading to an economic event with Nutter at Drexel University, Clinton roamed the corner of Chestnut and 52nd streets shaking hands with voters, while supporters of both Obama and Clinton jammed the block and cheered for their respective candidates.

"Tell mayor Nutter this is Obama city," yelled one man, needling the African-American mayor for endorsing Clinton. But the Obama fan shouted a caveat: "I still love you, Hillary."

- CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Sean

debra: Maybe you're just not smart enough to learn your supervisor's job in one year. Maybe you didn't learn basic job skills at your previous job. Maybe you couldn't figure out how real-world experience translated into your job. And maybe that's why younger people than you will get promoted to your supervisor and you'll always be where you're at.

April 11, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. FromWestPhilly

As a Proud African American in West Philly, I am a Barrack follower... Love the man for his speeches... and what he has done for the people of IL and what he wants to do for the people of this great nation..... However after seeing Mrs. Clinton I realized that we all have to wake up from dreams and have real solutions.. Mrs. Clinton you got my support now.... I CHOOSE NOT TO BE A PRODUCT OF MY ENVIORMENT.... AND I WILL NOT VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO SHARES THE SAME COLOR AS ME.... I WILL VOTE FOR WHAT WILLLLLL CHANGE THIS COUNTRY AND THATS YOU HILLARY CLINTON...

April 11, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. ray

seems HRC will do more for blacks than BHO.

April 11, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. American woman

I AM A PROFESSIONAL WHITE WOMAN AND AM HILARY FAN. IN ALL FAIRNESS, I MUST ADMIT THAT OBAMA HAS BEEN THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO HAS HAD THE COURAGE TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF RACE ELOQUENTLY (BEFORE OR AFTER THE WRIGHT ISSUE, THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT) AND HAS TRIED TO ADDRESS SOME OF THE RACE ISSUES FACING AMERICA. I CONSIDER MYSELF PRAGMATIC AND THEREFORE TRY TO AVOID THOSE WHO WANT TO MAKE THE WHOLE CAMPAIGN INTO A GENDER ISSUE.I WOULD DEFINITELY PREFER AND VOTE OBAMA OVER MCCAIN. WE HAVE HAD 8 YEARS OF REPUBLICANS' DISASTROUS GOVERNANCE. IT HAS BEEN A DARK PERIOD FOR AMERICA.

April 11, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Nicole from PA

Sharon Minnesota should be ashamed of yourself. People are tired of self righteous "pigment challenged" folks telling them what to do! Get a life!

April 11, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. IAMWMD

We've already lost. I will not vote for Lil McBush if the election is stolen by Camp Clinton and superdelegates that owe the Clintons. I simply will not vote for the first time in 18 years along with the 90% of the African Americans I know here in Atlanta.

Howard Dean is niave if he thinks blacks are gonna come out in huge numbers in November if Hillary is the nominee.

So say Hello to more war, high food, gas, murder, divisiveness and lies for the next 4-8 years.

She simply will not win without us. It doesn't matter how many women over 60 she can trick into voting for her

Obama 08

April 11, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. masgap

Hillary the only candidate that talks with specific solutions

Obama talks in generalities and not in the real political world

Penn: Vote Hillary and let her help you and the country's economy.

The best candidate Go Hillary

April 11, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. Pennsylvania Joe

Hillary is going down in Pennsylvania. We're fed up with all her lying.

April 11, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Dr. Wilcox

I don't think HIllary can go to the African-American community and get support. She has played the race card and it has cost her dearly. I look at the Clinton's in a new light now. They are just as prejudice as some Republicans, they just mask it under the Democratic party. I am sad to say, I will be Indendent after this election. I have never seen so much subtle and blatant racism as I have seen in this Democratic Party. People are saying they will vote for McCain instead of Obama if he wins the nomination. How can you do such a thing. I guess race is bigger than the party.

April 11, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. barry

go hillary...we think you are just what this country needs to right all of the wrongs...

April 11, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Blake

I have actually made calls for Obama's campaign, and I know for a fact that there is a script to follow. One that does not involve pressuring people for money if they say they are not Obama supporters. The real funny thing is that these calls are open to the public. Anyone can make them. Karl Rove himself could call posing as a supporter. Go take a look at his website and see that his phone support comes from random people who have access to the internet and a telephone. Its called phone banking, and it is a very cleaver way to gain thousands of people working as volunteer staff for his campaign. It’s ingenious.

April 11, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. mama4obama

Someone out there please...slap those Hillary supporters with a V8.

maybe that will help them to see a bit more clearly.

Obama 08

April 11, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Joyce

Wow, for the first time in my life, and I am 52 years old I am voting for a black man for President. It is sad that I have to be called a racist for this. I have read over and over how blacks are sheep, racists, stupid and everything else because we like Sen Obama and this is from the Party I used to love. I am appalled at how we are being treated because we want to vote for this man. I have voted for whites in the Democratic party ever since I was given the opportunity to vote. I am sick of the hate that this election has brought to the surface and will change my party affilliation after this election. I would have never thought that the Democratic Party harbored so many hateful people.This election has opened the eyes of many black people and I hope they follow suit and find a party that envelopes the values of what the Democratic Party once stated it was. Sad it was all a lie!

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. mary

This is one White Woman who will Never vote for Hillary!!

April 11, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Matt

I personally think she should say heck with democratic party and run as an independent. Otherwise, Mccain will become President as all of us Clinton supporters will vote for Mccain.

April 11, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. Dee

Wow, she sounds so "hip" and "with it"...putting officers "on the beat"
    I'm sure she experienced a lot of shootings in her summer home on the lake with her parents, and in Bosnia, too.

April 11, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. DM Arlington, TX

Hey " In the Know," you need to check you facts in 1963 Hillary at that time was a Republican work for Coldwater working to against the Civil Bill of 1964.

She only play to the black crowd just to win over votes and once her true colors shows through she drops them.

April 11, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  18. End game

We do not hate Obama, he just has one weakness.
    NO EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING TO LEAD A COUNTRY WITH.
    Still love him though.
    Clinton will lead and work to ALL people, we don't know what Obama will do. I not taking any chances, African American love Hillary too, and will vote for her in the GE.

April 11, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Jen

Rob... see her in action? Scolding Bill at every turn? LOL

April 11, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. Jackson

If Hillary Clinton thinks she's going to get the urban vote she can forget it. It's no way she is going to get street cred. with those Bosnia lies and Nafta. She can forget it. I don't think it's possible.

April 11, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Petra

MORE LIARS... I LIVE IN PA AND YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY VOTE.

SORRY...

April 11, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Obama will NEVER be president

Pat from VA ......

I am also a very proud African American, but I am voting for Clinton, who is also a proud American......... You are either blind or just down right stupid to make the comments you made...... THe Clinton is and always was good to us, and I am greatful for all they have done.

Hillary 08

April 11, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. Grif

I really wish you luck Lady, but I'm afraid Obama has spoilt any chance, of the Democrats being Elected this time around.

April 11, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Vote for ideas or for a person?

Will black voters in Philadelphia remember that Obama was the only candidate not present at Dr. Martin Luther King's anniversary? Will it matter to them that Obama was "too busy" since his priority is really "white voters". Do they realize that at the end at the national election "white voters" represent a much bigger percentage than "black voters"?. So, does race really matters after all? Or is it gender and concrete ideas/actions perhaps a more important element to be considered?…

April 11, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Matt

Also, I think the supporters of Hillary Clinton should start a petition to show millions of people not want ing Obama for president. I am sure lots of republicans will sign. Then we will see if he has the majority with people wanting him as president.

April 11, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |