April 13th, 2008

Clinton: 'Not relevant' last time I went to church, fired gun

CNN

Watch a clip of Sen. Clinton's Sunday press conference.

SCRANTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) – After a weekend spent making direct appeals to gun owners and church goers, Hillary Clinton said Sunday a query about the last time she fired a gun or attended church services "is not a relevant question in this debate” over Barack Obama’s recent comments on small town Americans.

“We can answer that some other time,” Clinton said at a press conference held in a working class neighborhood here. “This is about what people feel is being said about them. I went to church on Easter. I mean, so?”

Clinton described the furor surrounding Obama’s remarks as “about how people look at the Democratic Party and the Democratic Party leadership.”

“We have been working very hard to make it clear that we have millions of Democrats who are church going and gun-owning,” she said. “And we are tired of having Republicans, or frankly our own Democrats, give any ammunition to Republicans because what happens then is Republicans take advantage of the situation.”

She called the current imbroglio “an important moment for Democrats” and challenged Obama to further explain what he meant by his comments, which she reiterated were “elitist and divisive.”

Pressed on whether she truly believes Obama is an elitist, Clinton called him “a good man,” but recalled the narratives of the 2000 and 2004 president election.

- CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Latina Here

I really believe that was racist comment by Obama and if it was Hillary say that about small african american towns she would be labeled as a racist before I finished this sentence. This not goo fo the Democrats if is the nomonie and not well for America if he becomes president

April 13, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Cat

Oh my gosh! I am so sick of Hillary avoiding questions, avoiding ownership of "false memories" - oops, I mean "misspoken recollections" and downplaying her connection to Columbian $$. Of course she found the religion question "irrevelant!" Interesting, however, that religion is the focus of her recent diatribe against Obama and apparently very relevant. This woman is divisive, dishonest, and delusional. How stupid does she think voters are? Get over it, Hillary. At the bare minimum, quit playing dirty. Your desperation is unbecoming. Hillary's tactics and standard approach to politics is the very reason I am voting for CHANGE. If she were to gain the nomination, my vote will be cast for McCain . I am tired of the same old, same old. Continue taking the high road, Mr. Obama. You are a good example and live the message you are talking about.

April 13, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. John

Man when is she going to give it up? As top a Democrat she says Obama is elitist and divisive? Not like that's going to come back to haunt her (us) in the fall. The Republicans have to be laughing. I would be too if I weren't beating my head against the desk. Please Hillary just GO AWAY!

April 13, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Tito Valentino

Not relevant the last time you went to church? Waoh, thats incredible. Thats why you can afford to mis-speak and not ask for God's forgiveness.

April 13, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Disgusted and Freaked Out by Clinton

Is this country really so critically atrophied that anytime someone in the political arena makes an astute, uncomfortable comment, or makes any display of intelligence he/she is labelled "elitist?" I mean, really, since Bush is this country really hell-bent on electing people they can feel intellectually superior to? This anti-intellectualism needs to come to an end or the project that we call democracy will really be a failure. The fact that Clinton is jumping on the "elitist" bandwagon and deploying Republican-style politically tactics is, of course, not surprising, but totally abhorrent. We thought we had it bad with George W. Bush's style of politics, well, sadly, fellow democrats, I think we've found someone even worse.

April 13, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Dave - Minneapolis

Quit pandering Hillary, you've already lost.

April 13, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  7. SH

Hmmm. Clinton says she has felt the holy spirit on several occasions. Perhaps this was while she was being shot at in Bosnia?

April 13, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  8. White, Female Boomer for Obama

So it is only relevant for Barack Obama...I can hardly wait until you are not relevant!!

April 13, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Rob CA

The gate of hypocrisy has now been fully breached. Her opponent's everything is up for examination and criticism, but the great sniper ducker holds nothing about herself relevant. Talk about out of touch.

April 13, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. lettie

nothing is ever relevant to hillary unless it's about the other person.

Like she still has not answered about Bill's 800K from the Colombian government – they have sold out the american workers and soldiers.

April 13, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  11. Democrat for Unity

Clinton: I mean, so?

So indeed.

April 13, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. rl-Ohio

Hillary cant even answer a direct question, and considers it is
    not relevant. She suggests she can answer that some other
    time. Nice....otherwise I'll ignore that question.

I do not feel their was alot of furor surrounding Obama remarks.
    She is always just throwing things out there, expecting us all
    to believe she is the right choice.

Not going to happen Hillary, we know we cant trust you, your
    lies, half-truths and so-called misspeaks do speak for themselves
    and we do a have a good memory.

Your time is up, and we need to move forward in this country,
    you are not the person to do this.

Obama all the way!!

April 13, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. Lucy

This is a post script to my earlier message. You are holding a discussion about faith as it relates to the candidates this evening. I would question Senator Clinton regarding her faith, when she and her husband have so clearly demonstrated their view that truth is a quality that does not apply to her campaign. I may not remember many things in my life, but I would surely have an accurate memory had I been the target of a sniper. Truth is the underlying foundation of faith for all people. How can her statements be construed as anything but a lie – not a "misstatement", nor a memory lapse.

April 13, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. Ray

HRC will say or do ANYTHING to get in the White House. This recent spin on Obama's 'bitter' comments is rediculous! See needs to quit..

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  15. jim

I AGREE with Barack Obama 100%.. I am a Pennsylvania resident and i am more than bitter i am pissed off and Barack need not apoligize to me or any other Pennsylvanian....
    We need this country to band together and run the god dam Clintons and Ed Rendall right out of Pennsylvania.... They are the scum of the earth..
    How could anyone in Pennsylvania ever vote for such liars as the Clintons.

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Virginia

Hillary is not an elitist! Shame on those who would besmirch The Church Lady ("Isn't that speeshell!"). Now we have Granny Clampett from " The Beverly Hillbillies", complete with her millions, her shotgun, but still a country girl at heart. Now how do I apply for a grant from the Clinton Family Foundation? My favorite charity is Me, too.

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  17. Praise the Gun

Sure it's relevent. Another example of Clinton pandering.

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  18. Rod

Wake up America. Bill brought NAFTA, with Hillary in support. Look at the devastation this caused in terms of jobs. Now Hillary says she is AGAINST NAFTA because it's what she must say to get the votes she needs. Yet Bill is now working on free trade with Columbia. And she says he will have no influence on her presidency. So she is our nemesis and saviour in the same breath?

PA – are you falling for this????

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Go away Obama.

I would love to see this America: Where people like Rev. Wright get to preach their doctrine of hate, while their installed president, Obama, strips the people of their guns...

An America where you are called a racist for saying that Jesse Jackson won in SC twice, but are defended as NOT being racist for ranting like Wright does. An America where "sacred?" hatred is the only acceptable freedom of speech.

Where the government will just take care of the poor, stupid people, while the elitist intelligencia decides for you, what is best for you. As they sip their lattes and blog..blog..blog all the livelong day.

An America that bans freedom of speech for those who disagree with Obama and decrees freedom of speech only for members of black liberation-theology churches.

Sounds just like these blogs. Anyone who doesn't support Obama is dismissed as an ignorant idiot. Meanwhile, the truly illiterate who blog for Obama, think they are smart and educated even when they can not formulate an entire legible thought.

April 13, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. MotherGinSling

“You don’t have to think back too far to remember that good men running for president were viewed as being elitist and out of touch with the values and lives of millions of Americans,” she said. So now she's calling Al Gore an elitist!!! She's definitely become a Republican and seems to be running for McCain's VP. Shame on you, Hillary Clinton.

April 13, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  21. Banned by CNN bias

Here I go again:

April 13, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. jim

Barack Obama for Pennsylvania
    Run the lying Clintons out of town
    A white 65 year old man who is tired of the bush clinton lies.

April 13, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. rob

It's unfortunate Sen. Clinton is trying to make more out of BO's statements than they are. My family idenities with the bitterness towards Wash. politicians he alluded to in his comment. We do surround ourselves with symbols and activitives that give us a sense of security.

Obama an elitist? Please...Sen Clinton needs to reflect on her own standing.

April 13, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. kierzog

shoot all u.s. cop-pigs in their f/cking mouths!!! That's the law.

April 13, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. theresa

I seems to me that Clinton is reaching far to revive a failing campaign, especially since Obama decreased the spread in the PA polls.
    One cannot even talk everyday common language without a Clinton rep somewhere trying to re-define simple words that can potentially hurt either Democratic elect in the fall. Anyone with common sense and good ears would understand exactly what Obama was saying and frankly I am "bitter" with this administration and the way it has been run the last 8 years. I hope fellow Dems will continue to support the most electable candiate to represent us and Clinton will not play her usual game of changing or misspeaking words to suit her own campaign.

April 13, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |