April 16th, 2008

Clinton campaign presses Obama on tax returns

(CNN) - On an Obama conference call Wednesday, campaign manager David Plouffe would not say whether or when the Illinois senator would be releasing his 1997-99 tax returns.

"We released our full tax returns for the entire decade, same period,” said Plouffe, adding that they would “shortly” be releasing the full 2007 returns.

But Plouffe was referring to the years 2000 through 2006, the “same period” as the returns released by Hillary Clinton’s campaign recently, after Obama did the same. The New York senator’s tax returns for the past 30 years have now been made public.

“Despite touting its commitment to transparency, the Obama campaign is apparently refusing to release Sen. Obama’s tax returns from 1997, 1998 and 1999,” the Clinton campaign said in a statement sent to reporters Wednesday afternoon. “It’s unfortunate that Sen. Obama isn’t living up to the standards he sets for everyone else.”

1. Ray in Jax

Hey HilLIARy, How about the papers and donor list from your husband;s Library? Maybe "ut;s unfortunate that Sen, Clinton isn't living up to the standards" that Americans need. Transparency is not one of HilLIARy best charactoristics..

April 16, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Put up or shut up ARK

Ok hillary if you are wondering about Obamas taxes, what about a list of the contributors and amounts contributed to the Clinton Library where is that?

April 16, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. woman for Obama

Hill – Bill transparency ???
    500 mln – LIBRARY donations – please !.

April 16, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Suk

what is there in 97,98 and 1999?

Interesting

What did Obama do when Bill was in WH?
    I know what Bill did in WH..;-)

April 16, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Veterans For Obama

Is this a joke? She's just reminded voters of her tax returns!
    109 million and she calls Barack elitist.
    This woman is clutching at straws!

April 16, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. California Dem.

She has lost her mind!

April 16, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Nunya

So before the Obama camp was acting like 2yo – "She hasn't released her returns."

Now the Clinton camp is acting like 2yo – "Now we have, but he hasn't released all of his. Nyah, nyah!"

As if more than 17 people were going to make a decision based on what they saw in them – if they even looked...

April 16, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. The Truth

I would like to see Obama's tax returns. I also want to see when he actually paid his student loan off. I do not take his word for it. He thinks he can just spin some theory and the rest of the world will fall for it. But unfortunately for you Obama, we dont judge a book by its cover, we actually read it. your beauty is skin deep but you tend to get rotten at the core.
    stop with your constant nonsense and talk about some real issues Obama. Also tell us something, now that your spiritual adviser has retired from church, are you going to be offering him a job in your administration to poison more african americans against the rest of the americans?

April 16, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Desiree

After the big fuss he made over Sen Clinton's tax returns he has a lot of nerves, what is he hiding? Obama is change we don't need or want.

April 16, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Jerry in Boston

Excuse me? The Clinton's are behaving like 2 year olds?

Remind me. Who started this nonsense by asking for tax returns and implying that Senator Clinton had something to hide?

You reap what you sow. The double standards of the Obamatons is infuriating. They berate Clinton for her negative attack ads, but when Obama does it, he's simply "responding", so that's ok.

Seriously, I really hope people see through the absolute bare faced cheek of Obama and his drones before it's too late.

BTW – I'm going to claim that CNN never posts my comments and imply that there's some kind of conspiracy, because that seems to be the only way they WILL post my comments, because that makes me look silly. I used yo like CNN, but you're just as much of an agenda driven bunch of charlatans as FOX.

April 16, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. sophia nyc

I tought I taw a putty tat.

April 16, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Peter

Who cares about the candidates finances 10 years back? They should concentrate on the real issues.

April 16, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Southerner For Obama

Barack, ignore these morans. Yeah, this is SILLY SEASON and Hillary camp is getting really desperate, Next thing they will want to see is weather or not Barack was born.

Pa, please end this next Tuesday

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. paulie_nj

Hmmm, when Hillary was pressed for her to chalk up her returns all of the Obama supporters were sreaming bloody murder at her. Now that she's produced and is asking Obama to do the same you are defending him against doing the same as she was pressed to do. Double standards apply. Let's see those dealings with Tony Rezko uncovered.

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Kelley

Hillary you should turn over the Clinton Library records and then Obama can turn over his tax records. You know kinda like you show me yours I'll show you mine.

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Voice of Reason

SOMEBODY TURN OFF HER MIC!

WHY DOES SHE GET AIRTIME?

THE GAME IS OVER.....IT"S JUST HER AND THE JANITOR SWEEPING UNDER THE BLEACHERS...YET SHE"S STILL CHEERING.

PATHETIC!

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. south carolina dem

LOL come on Hillary you are becoming such a joke. Why don't you make something else up that you have allegedly accomplished, and quit acting like a 2 year old towards Senator, and soon to be President Obama. I was a HUGE Clinton supporter when Bill was President, and I started as a Hillary supporter, but this is just getting stupid and proving to me that I chose the right candidate to get behind.

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Susan MO

HILLARY IS A CROOK AND A FRAUD (did I say that out loud)

HILLARY WE LOVE YOU

HILLARY 08

April 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER.
    ARE YOU HIDING SOMETHING OBAMA?

April 16, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Mike

Teacher– Ok Children. What have we learned from the Primary?
    Little Boy– Hillary taught me to do anything to be president cause you make lots n lots of money.
    Little Boy 2 — Hillary taught me if you want to win then smile and lie and make up bad things about the other person.
    Teacher—What has Mr. Obama taught you?
    Liitle Girl– I learned that Democrats like black people but don’t want them to be President.
    Litle Boy— I learned that Mr. Obama should not tell the truth. It makes people mad at him.

— Posted by Mike

April 16, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. sasha kando

Another instance of the Clintons trying to move the goal post again and again! First, show us your stuff from this year to that, and when it's done, we will show you ours. So now ALL DONE on both sides. But NO!! Now show us yours again for a different era! Clintons should just go away. They should never again be embraced by the party as they have shown how truly destructive they are to anyone.

April 16, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. April in Texas

Good Grief Hillary.. Lets see where are your 2007 tax returns? Where is the list for your donors in regards to the Clinton Foundation? Why is Mark Penn even remotely involved in your campaign? Where are your earmark releases? Where are the missing sections of those whitehouse transcripts? I could go on but this seems so silly. I am curious what you guys think could possibly show up on Obamas tax returns during 1997, 1998 and 1999?

Obama 08

April 16, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Here we go again, back to the old tax thing. Hillary keeps playing in Obama's house and he keeps kicking her out. If Hillary thinks for one minute Obama didn't expect this from her, he never would have asked for her release of tax info (think about it).

April 16, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. Mike

Maybe he didn't make enough. Below a certain level, one does not have to file.

April 16, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Is this all the Clinton campaign has: absurdly accusing Obama of being an elitist and tax return disclosure? Hillary, you and your ilk need to go home and stop this nonsense before you do even more damage. I am utterly repulsed by your campaign tactics.

April 16, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |