April 17th, 2008

Blitzer: I'm meeting the pope. Stay tuned.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/16/art.blitzeriowa.cnn.jpg caption="CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The historic visit to Washington by Pope Benedict XVI has been very exciting, for Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I must say the sounds and sights have been amazing. The arrival ceremony at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington followed by the very warm welcome on the South Lawn of the White House and the Mass at the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium were seen by millions in the United States and around the world, who will continue to watch over the next few days.

I will be anchoring our Situation Room coverage today from the campus of The Catholic University of America here in Washington. The Pope will be coming over to speak to leaders of America’s Catholic universities. He will also have a separate meeting with leaders from other religions. We, of course, will have extensive live coverage on CNN.

It will also be a very special moment for me, and here’s why:

At one point during our coverage today, I will disappear, and our chief national correspondent, John King, will take over. That’s because the president of Catholic University, Father David O’Connell, has invited a small group, including me, to meet with the Pope on campus. Though I am not a Catholic, I have had a special relationship with the university over the years. Two years ago, I gave the commencement address there and received an honorary degree. Needless to say, this will be a very exciting moment for me, and I will report on the meeting during our coverage today. As we say in our business: Stay tuned.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. John Smith

There is a diffrence between being "educated" vs. being "learned."

After reading 95% of the notes (blogs) on CNN, here are some conclusions:

1. Hillary's supporters may be learned, but they are not educated. That is, they show gross negligence in doing research to uncover the truth.

2. Majority of Hillary's supporters write using "uppercase" letters, suggesting that they are rude, bitter, and inconsiderate.

3. Like their candidate, most of Obama supporters are very humble and put this nation "first". Wealth and greed are seen as secondary or remote issues.

April 17, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

The Pope ain't electable unless he votes for Hillary.

Hillary and Nader 2008

April 17, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. Frank, Missouri

"Stay tuned" ... I really don't care.

April 17, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. John

Frank,

I agreed with you!!

Don't care!!!

April 17, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. fred

Wolf, Maybe it will keep you all from stretching the truth????

John Smith....You Need HELP!!!

April 17, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. A REAL American

Come on down from your cloud, John Smith, because I've seen PLENTY of Obama supporters who are rude AND inconsiderate AND uneducated AND anything but humble. Just like your candidate, you need to ditch the halo and the "holier than thou" BS because nobody else is falling for it. By the way, I'm not a Hillary supporter, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

April 17, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. ***AMERICAN***

How is this about the candidates? I don't see their names anywhere in the article.

April 17, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

WOLF:
    ASK THE POPE FOR A SPECIAL BLESSING ON HILLARY AND TO PARDON HER SINS.

SHE HAS REFORM AND HIS NO LONGER A CROOK AND NEED HIS BLESSING

GO HILLARY. WE LOVE YOU

April 17, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. Paul

John Smith

"I think that you suffer from superiority complex based on you comments, because you ideas seem to come from an insecure and judgemental individual.

One more thing, this article is about the Pope, and not about individual's frustrations. So please stay tuned"

Hillary-08

April 17, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. James, PA

John Smith – You are so right. Sometimes I wonder where Hillary gets her supporters from.

April 17, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Alex H

While I am not Catholic (that's an understatement) either, I understand how excited you must be, Wolf. I'd be excited to meet the Pope too. Good luck!

April 17, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. steve

It is an honor to meet the Pope. Enjoy the opportunity.

April 17, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. EWTN

John Smith: I'll say a prayer for you

April 17, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. MC , Tampa

Who cares...this man is not a god, give me a break!

April 17, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. Steven

Congratulations Mr. Blitzer, although I am not a Catholic either I believe it is an honor to talk to the Pope. It is really nice that someone with your standing in media can have a discussion with the pontiff. You are a role model to all people.

April 17, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Janet in Texas

Well, I care. In addition to the obvious implications for American politics, I've watched Mr. Blitzer for enough years to be pleased for him that he's excited about this small audience with the pope. And I'm curious about how conversation flows when it's just Benny and the boys in the room.

April 17, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. Ifeanyi

Wolf, I am also not catholic but I still believe stongly that the Pope is at the top of the religious order irrespective of denomination. I have no doubt that he is the most influential and universal leader who but for spiritual disposition can be the strongest leader as well. It is an honor that will be treasured for anyone to have access to the Pope even if it is on the television screen, and to really be in his presence is a tremedous accomplishment and so CONGRATULATIONS.

April 17, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. DEE JAY in MIMIA

the pope is not GOD

Why are people so excited ...i met pope John Paul in 1999 at st peters Basilica in italy... What is so special about him////

I worship God, Jesus he is the one who Died for me.... im not going to confess my sins to a MAN...i confess my sins to GOd

WoW.......

April 17, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. John in Charlotte

Like a billion other people in the world, I'm Catholic, and I care. Looking forward to it Wolf.

April 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  20. mike

Wolf just thinks he's the greatest thing in the world doesn't he?

April 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. Linda. Boston, MA

Why is this even in the Politics section?

April 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  22. PA

What a honor, Wolf. Congratulations.

April 17, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  23. Darth Vadik, CA

THE GALL OF THIS POPE,

TODAY HE BLAMES THE PRIEST PEDOPHELIA ON THE BREAKDOWN OF SOCIETY.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

IT IS YOUR FAULT BENEDICT THE 16 th, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO INSTEAD OF EXCOMUNICATING THESE FREAKS AND THEN GIVEN THEM UP TO THE POLICE, YOU HID THEM AND MOVED THEM FROM PARISH TO PARISH ENABLING THEM TO ABUSE CHILDREN ON AND ON AND ON AND ON.

DONT YOU DARE BLAME YOU'RE AND YOU'RE PRIESTS SHORTFALLS ON OUR SOCIETY

April 17, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

ASK HIM TO PRAY FOR THESE HATEFUL BLOGGERS.

GO HILLARY. WE LOVE YOU

April 17, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. juliemn

Wolf, I also am not catholic, but would have loved to meet the pope, what an honor. Can he say a little prayer for Hillary? And a BIG prayer for America.

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |