April 17th, 2008

Blitzer: I'm meeting the pope. Stay tuned.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/16/art.blitzeriowa.cnn.jpg caption="CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The historic visit to Washington by Pope Benedict XVI has been very exciting, for Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I must say the sounds and sights have been amazing. The arrival ceremony at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington followed by the very warm welcome on the South Lawn of the White House and the Mass at the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium were seen by millions in the United States and around the world, who will continue to watch over the next few days.

I will be anchoring our Situation Room coverage today from the campus of The Catholic University of America here in Washington. The Pope will be coming over to speak to leaders of America’s Catholic universities. He will also have a separate meeting with leaders from other religions. We, of course, will have extensive live coverage on CNN.

It will also be a very special moment for me, and here’s why:

At one point during our coverage today, I will disappear, and our chief national correspondent, John King, will take over. That’s because the president of Catholic University, Father David O’Connell, has invited a small group, including me, to meet with the Pope on campus. Though I am not a Catholic, I have had a special relationship with the university over the years. Two years ago, I gave the commencement address there and received an honorary degree. Needless to say, this will be a very exciting moment for me, and I will report on the meeting during our coverage today. As we say in our business: Stay tuned.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jimmy from PA

Tell the pope to endorse Obama. Thank you.

April 17, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. An Agnostic Democrat

Wolf, please remember to ask forgiveness for your unrequited love of your long-standing girlfriend, Hillary. Naw! I don't think Bill will mind.

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. An Agnostic Democrat

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  4. An Agnostic Democrat

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. starla

The Pope. The Dalai Lama. Why are we courting leaders of some relegions while denouncing others. I am not Buddist. I am not Catholic. I am evangelical. I flind it offensive that our leaders are treating them like royalty while condeming other relegions. If you want separation of church and state, don't court some.

April 17, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

In order for the Pope to be validated in my eyes, then he needs to recognize Hillary while he's in OUR country.

Hillary Nader ticket for American pride.

April 17, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. GL

Relevance in this day and age? Both the Pope and the Catholic Church have had no relevance since the world was flat and they could burn you at the stake for saying otherwise.

April 17, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. DEE JAY in MIMIA

"Crystal"

His Dad Is dead duhhhhh
    his mom is dead

mom was from kansas
    Dad was from Kenya

April 17, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. An Agnostic Democrat

Remember to ask forgiveness for your unrequited love of Hillary, Wolf!
    Kiss the Pope's ring instead of the Queen Hillary's! Tool!

April 17, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. gerry

Wolf you should ask the Pope to bless Lou Dobbs and forgive him for his sins of manipulation and dishonesty.

On the other hand, I don't even think God would pardon Dobbs!!!!!

April 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Nancy

Catholic or no catholic... i am excited for you Wolf. You are an intelligent man... Your presentation and running of shows( especially debates) is top notch... I had to see yesterday's handling to know there are born presenters and there are forced talents... very well done Wolf!!! Enjoy your desiney day out, boy!!!

April 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Cesare Borgia

Why are americans so stupid

April 17, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. T as in Tom

Crystal,

Obama's Kenyan father is deceased. We will never know what Obama's father thinks of his son, but read "Dreams of My Father" which is a book about Obama finding out about his father. Obama was raised by his white mother and her parents.

April 17, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. jes

Hi Wolfe, Please give your overall impression & comment on the contrast between the Pope & Obamas minister. To be both men of GOD the difference is hard to believe & scary too.

April 17, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. P

john smith: your comment is clearly ELITIST, in the true definition of the word...

April 17, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. luis

to all the people who commented. WHAT DO POLITICS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Cesare Borgia

That society is fake.Had Hitler not gone to war,America wouldn´t be what it is today.That war kick-started the dead american economy after the depression.So you have HITLER to thank.Why spend somuch money on and in Iraq when there are 45million suckers without health insurance?Sounds like America.Americans can´t speak simple English,what a shame.That is a society with two extremes.Whata shame.

April 17, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Cesare Borgia

There is time for everything.A time to rise and a time to fall.

April 17, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Cesare Borgia

Put your nose where it belongs.

April 17, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Chris

Did you hear the Pope Wolf?

He said: Enough with sex scandals in America. Vote wisely!

Please CNN, I ve noticed that some people just post comments in upper case letters especially Hillary's supporters. It is absurd and rude. Moreso many peoplehas complained and they never stoped. Makes me think they never bother to read anything but only come to this site to post their hate comments.

Please would you advice contributors to use sentence case or stop posting comments in upper case.

April 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. John

I would care if Wolf is going to ask the Pope the following questions

1. why he and his church discriminate women by not allowing them to become priest?

2. why he and his church did not punish those clergy who covered up the whole child sexual abuse scandal?

and not KUMBAYA to the pope!! By the way, he is just a man! Not God!!

On the other hand, JESUS is the true GOD!!

April 17, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  22. Ann

SO WHAT?

April 17, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Ann

Crystal April 17th, 2008 3:01 pm ET

Where is Obama's father?
    Is his father an american and what does Obama's father think of his
    son?
    ___

Dear Crystal, Obama's father is dead.

April 17, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. OBAMERICAN,WORLDWIDE(CANADA)

CHERYL!!!!CHERYL!!!!CHERYL!!!! WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO YOU?.
    LAUGHS!!!! SO U ARE HERE AGAIN WITH YOUR PSYCHOLOGICAL COMENTS.SEE YA

WOLF MAKE SURE YOU DONT SHAKE ANYBODY AFTER MEETING WITH THE "HOLY FATHER"UNTILL YOU GET HOME, TAKE THE BLESSINGS FROM HIM HOME TO YOUR FAMILLY FIRST,EXCEPT IF YOU MEET ME ON YOUR WAY THEN WE CAN SHARE THE BLESSING.APART FROM ME PLEASE TAKE IT HOME TO YOUR FAMILY BEFORE CLINTON WILL ATTACK YOU NEGATIVELLY.
    DO ANYBODY KNOW THIS SICKNESS,I NEED EXPLANATION ON IT.
    -LIECHROSONE ATTACKERNISIOUS SYNDROME(L.A.S)-

April 17, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. flavoter

Please ask the Pope if he think what Rev. Wright said rise to the level of so called outrage over his comments.
    And why no one is speaking of the fact that large numbers of Americans have not walked out of the Catholic churches where proven sex crimes have been tolorated for many many years.

April 17, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |