April 17th, 2008

Clinton-Obama lead McCain in 'swing' states

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/26/art.cand.gi.jpg caption="Sens. Obama and Clinton lead McCain in swing states according to a new poll."]
(CNN)—In potential fall match-ups, Democratic presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are leading presumptive Republican nominee John McCain in states that were decisive in the 2004 election according to a new survey.

The latest Gallup Poll conducted during the first 15 days in April, consisting of more than 13,000 registered voters shows Obama and Clinton ahead by 4 points in so called “purple” or swing states with 47 percent to McCain’s 43 percent, with a margin of error of plus or minus 1 point.

In “blue” states where John Kerry won by more than 6 percentage points in 2004, Obama has a comfortable double-digit lead, while McCain leads by a slightly smaller margin in the “red” states where George Bush prevailed by more than 6 points.

Clinton has the same lead over McCain in purple states, but she does not fare as well as Obama in the “blue” states and also trails McCain by a larger margin than Obama in the traditionally Republican “red” states.

The remaining purple swing states where Bush or Kerry won by 5 points or fewer in 2004 include: New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oregon.

1. Time is now

On the issues:

He will not consider an attack on Israel an attack on the US.. well then i don't want you leading ANY policy in the middle east.

He doesn't even know the MATH of his OWN "policy" because he copied it from somewhere else.

and for final record.. he can't hold up in a hard debate then he won't win the general. There's alot of ground to lose between August and November.

Hillary '08

April 17, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Steve

Ana in L.A.

Clinton's answers were obviously written and rehearsed. Clearly the questions were provided by ABC ahead of the debate. She was never challenged, or asked a difficult question. Clinton will be shredded by the Republicans if she is the nominee.

At one time, I was a hugh fan of the Clintons. No more. Cannot stand to watch any of the Clintons on TV. Although I STRONGLY support Obama, I am a loyal democrat. I will hold my nose and vote for Clinton if she is the nominee. I will hate every minute of it, but I will do it for the Country. We cannot stand another term of Republican rule and policies.

OBAMA '08 or ANYONE BUT A REPUBLICAN

April 17, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Rechi

Obama is not enough American to get my vote. I absoltely suspect his patriorism just like his pastor, Wright. Not to mention his wife who was never proud of America until her husband started to get more votes...

April 17, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. Cowboy Jack

I think the debate last night proved that Obama is unelectable, especially in PA and OH, which means he can't win the general, despite how big of a margin he wins blue states

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Ramon Sison

whats the matter cnn can't handle the truth about obama and the cbc?

another blog dedicated to obama lovers sure you let a few stray posts in from Clinton supporters but not the ones with meat and teeth.

lol I won't be surprised if they post this but they chicken sh t d(obama'ed) out on the one I tried before this one

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. James, SC

Many people are saying that if Senator Obama gets the nomination that 20% of Senator Clinton supporters will move to the McCain camp. Well last time I counted, that still leaves all of Senator Obama's supporters plus around 80% of Senator Clinton's supporters for Senator Obama. Have any of you checked the total number of supporters on the democrat party side compared the the republicans?

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Tomas

People, let the media, clinton and some republicants do what they do best. They're playing the game the way they were tought to, and they hope they'll change our minds by following their tatics. But let your voices, and your voting hands cites how long we can keep politics and the media their ways of self-interests. For years the've dictated this great country, and they know that our general gains is their lost of power. You decide if they should keep being winners while we stay loosers for many more years. Obama08

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Lynn

John McCain doesn't wear a flag pin!!!

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. Key West Sun

Mighigan, Florida and Ohio,,,,,these are the one to realy look at.
    Florida and Ohio will decide the next president, DNC needs to get them in the fold before t is to late.

April 17, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

That's not news!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Kel from Bham, AL

Obama's just taking the lead wherever. He's going all the way to the top. Voting for Obama is like getting the benefits of Clinton's stance on the issue without all of that fuss about lying. He has a better-looking profile, too.

Go "O"! Obama 08!

April 17, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. April in Texas

Linda who responded to me... I wanted answers which have yet to be given. Such as the CAFTA/NAFTA situation. The conflicts with the Clinton Camp and much more... This debate just reinforced my thoughts and decisions regarding Clinton. The mudslinging is childish and yes for the party I would have probably ended up voting anyway. The debate didnt just confirm my decision it sealed it in concrete.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

OBAMA IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Daniel Newman

This Republican has switched to Obama. I actually kind of like the guy because he reminds me of....myself. My wife's been telling me that along and now I understand why. He's brilliant.

April 17, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. realist

Here in Europe and the rest of the world, people know that Obama will knock out Clinton first and later Mc..?, can't remember what you call him, if you give Obama equal treatment. Not only because we see him as the only intelligent politician over there, with 21 century vision, but also because we want you Americans to retake you shattered image, thanks to Bush, and regain your leadership. He's the only one who can do it. Otherwise, be prepared, China is coming. We want to be your friends again. Why are you so blind you don't get this. Try to tune other international media and get real. Your media are like your politicians. They are even worse. Corrupt ad pathetic!

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. Deb

After watching the debate last night I will definitely vote for Hillary.

Obama will never have my vote-too inexperienced, too many questions regarding his "Friends" and Judgment.

We have way too much work to do if we are going to save this great nation of ours. Only Hillary or McCain have the experience and strength to get the job done.

I honestly fear with Obama at the helm we will be doomed for destruction-too many World leaders would take advantage of our weakness.

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. Daniel M, El Paso, TX

And Hillary tried making the arguement that it was she who would be key in winning swing states? I disagreed then and this proves the fact.

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. HEIDI

I THINK THAT OBAMA WILL STILL ONLY LOSE TO HILLARY IN PA BY 4-6 POINTS, HE WILL WIN IN AND NC AND HE WILL SEE NO DROPPING IN HIS NATIONAL APPROVAL RATING.

HILLARY ON THE OTHER HAND JUST SUNK HERSELF AFTER THAT SO CALLED DEBATE LAST NIGHT ON ABC. WE HAVE TO TAKE BACK OUR MEDIA, WE HAVE ALLOWED THEM FAR TOO MUCH FREEDOM AND HAVE ALLOWED THEM TO PUT FAR TO MUCH SPIN ON THE BS AND NOT ENOUGH ON THE ISSUES THAT CURRENLTY PLAUGE OR COUNTRY.

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Glen,

I suppose we can look forward to another Jimmy Carter in the White House. Arguably the worst US president ever, totally out of his depth and hasn't changed at all.

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. christine

its time those superdelegates start support obama i dont understand why they are waiting so long is it because he is black, or is it they also dont want to change how politics is done in washington they are used to there kind of politics of the back door deal so they are worried if they choose obama they wont be able to do there trade deals i think this is the problem with superdelegates they are worried about there own interest not the american people. thats why abc was so hard on one candidate remember george is a superdelegate

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. Europe

Greg in NY, very funny! Very, very funny!

The rest of you need to chill out. These people are not gods; they're not perfect. But McCain and Clinton are shooting themselves in the foot and Obama keeps his dignity in tact. You can't be all things to all people and I admire the man for sticking to his guns.

We're just curious here overseas whether the Americans will finally vote for what they say they stand for, or will they follow the McSames and Beverly Hillbillies like sheep led to the slaughter, the same as in 2004?

The WORLD wants Obama. Or do you not get that yet? He's the only one we see who carries the message and the makeover abilities required now: real leadership on a global scale. And those ignorants who are writing about terrorists and blah, blah, blah, haven't got a clue as they've been suffering from the Angst the Bush administration has been spoon-feeding them for 8 years. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Time to become the proud nation you tout yourselves to be.

April 17, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Dennis

Of course they do because Americans are tired of the same old thing. Democrats will win this year, and Republicans will waste their money.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Mary In AL

Senator Obama is no punk. He is qualified, vetted, fired up and ready to go. Hillary needs to head on out to NY. I have two college degrees, work full time ,and I struggle to buy food and gas. I will only vote for Senator Obama. I would never cast my vote for a socio-pathic liar like clinton. If she is anywhere near the democratic ticket, I am out. I'm so happy I don't ever have to vote for her–Because I never will. The Bible speaks clearly about liars–he does not like lying at all. She has clearly lied repeatedly and the Bible also says – to speak well of your enemies. He said to bless and not curse. She has cursed, lied and gossiped. She has sown discord among the brethen. She has no fruit that of the spirit that even closely resembles a christian. She is unelectable.

April 17, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. Ken

Hillary should win the nomination and Obama should be her VP. She's the only one with a definate plan to get the US rolling again. Obama is a good speaker, but that's it. I've listened to him on TV and read about his ideas, but that is just it. They are ideas, not plans.
    Hillary has been there, she knows how to get things done. Look at what she's done for New York.

April 17, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. dAnnE

If anyone is as unbais as they claim to be they would recognize that the debate last night was one of the worst. A good debate is not one sided, no matter how much we believe someone needs to be vetted. A good debate covers all sides of an issue and that is not what ABC did. I don't think Obama supporters are angry as there are many who saw the debate and witnessed 50 minutes of talk that will not change the economy, help with healthcare, deal with Iraq or close the education achievement gap in our country.

April 17, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |