April 17th, 2008

Clinton-Obama lead McCain in 'swing' states

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/26/art.cand.gi.jpg caption="Sens. Obama and Clinton lead McCain in swing states according to a new poll."]
(CNN)—In potential fall match-ups, Democratic presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are leading presumptive Republican nominee John McCain in states that were decisive in the 2004 election according to a new survey.

The latest Gallup Poll conducted during the first 15 days in April, consisting of more than 13,000 registered voters shows Obama and Clinton ahead by 4 points in so called “purple” or swing states with 47 percent to McCain’s 43 percent, with a margin of error of plus or minus 1 point.

In “blue” states where John Kerry won by more than 6 percentage points in 2004, Obama has a comfortable double-digit lead, while McCain leads by a slightly smaller margin in the “red” states where George Bush prevailed by more than 6 points.

Clinton has the same lead over McCain in purple states, but she does not fare as well as Obama in the “blue” states and also trails McCain by a larger margin than Obama in the traditionally Republican “red” states.

The remaining purple swing states where Bush or Kerry won by 5 points or fewer in 2004 include: New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oregon.

1. Honestlady

@Deb...you fail to realize that Hillary(along with Bill) have way more "questionable friends and judgements" than Obama could ever think of having. The only reason they are hammering away at Obama over this is because he is not as 'known' as Hill and Bill.

April 17, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Honestlady

@Linda....You said that Hillary has shown that she is an honest person???? What planet do you live on??

April 17, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Lee From Treasure Island Florida

Last night was not a debate. Every newspaper is bashing ABC for the terrible job they did. The Audience boo-ed them everytime they broke for a comerical. 52 minutes was wasted on NON ISSUES...but on politics like flag pin, yet Hillary no more than 5 ft away, was not wearing a flag pin, nor does John McCain, or John Edwards(ever-he wears an outward bound pin in honor of his dead son) That was not a debate, but another attack. One good thing, Hillary was forced to admit that Obama was electable, able to beat McCain, which will hurt her private superdelegate push. Clintons do not, have never rallied the young, or the numbers of blacks, but they do very well in ralliing Republicans to the polls to vote AGAINST them.
    Obama 08

April 17, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Roman Concerned

The Pennsylvania primary has truly allowed people to be able to see Hillarys transparency, during the ABC debate in Philadelphia on Wednesday night. Hillary said "she maybe a lot of things, but she is not dum". I believe that statement is very true, but boy is she bitter. I have news for Hillary the American people arent dum either. The American people are very smart, and again they see her transparency. They see she is behind in the delegate count, and the popular vote, so America is aware that Hillary has nothing left but to pull out her millitary kitchen sink tactics, and pray that something will stick to senator Obama. But these tactics wont work, because the American people have waken up and realize its Hillary who is bitter. The truth is 15 months ago Hillary thought she was going to walk into this job as the presumptive candidate, and when Obama started taking away states, pledge delegates, popular votes, and the super delegates, the so called nice Hillary disappeared. Hillary has put on her boxing gloves and gone for the jugular. Remember when Hillary said the comment in 1992 " what do you expect me in the kitchen baking cookies"? The obvious answer is no Hillary, of course not! But we all expect of Hillary for you to stop your kitchen tactics. Obama said in the Philadelphia debate he understood her momentary slip, when she made her comment in 1992 about the cookies incident, which insulted so many people. So this Hillary type of campaigning is very sad, where she tries to spin a sound bite about Obama saying the word "bitter". Its sad when the truth is again that its Hillary who is bitter. I wish she would have the conviction to admit it because the American people know it to be so. Its to bad that Wednesday was one of the last debates on the calendar, because the question that should have been put to Hillary Clinton was "Hillary when your Husband had the affair with Monica Lewinsky during his time in office, when you were the first lady, were you bitter"? It makes one wonder if Hilary has been harbouring bitterness for years. I guess Hillary deserves that shot of whisky after all, shes been through a lot. If anyone ever runs into Hillary at a bar, buy her a round of beers. Yah she deserves it!

April 17, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Bill-Ind

So much for HRC's argument that she is more electable vs. McCain than Obama

April 17, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. Wendy

"This proves my point time to go home Hillary. Let the new King do his work. I salute President Barack Obama."

Ain't gonna happen.
    A Pennsylvania voter

April 17, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. enomisa

ABCs debate was the most specific, relevant and fair one.

Under those circumstances- with no Obama panderings- Hillary excelled and Obama tanked.

He hedges ALL his positions.

No to Obama.

Hillary is the BEST candidate and will make a great president.

April 17, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Mar Mit

As for last night debate Hillary was the WINNER.

Americans, I must say, if OBAMA wins he will show all of you just how
    much he loves America, everything he has promise, HE WILL NOT
    DELIVER. I'm surprise because most people have a pretty good Idea
    when they are being mislead.

OBAMA is a LIAR, IF YOU watch him, when he is lying and uncomfortable he will not look directly into the camera, he
    has too much stumbling trying to be clever, and he always
    have to spend to much time thinking about, how he needs to
    respond.

LET ME SAY THIS, when Obama figured out how to get all
    the African American votes, ITS THE RACE CARD.
    This is how he maintained the CLINTONS, because anything
    that Bill or Hillary, was being called RACIST.

To all who are of another race, you have a lot to learn.
    OBAMA, is laughing at night at all of you because he
    SLIPPED UP ON HOW TO STOP HILLARY.

Obama was so frustrated early on in the campaign because
    Hillary was favored to win, he made a statement
    I don't know who I'm running against Billary or Hillary
    now he has AMERICANS right were he wants you.

CHARM AND CHARISMA I remember George Bush doing
    the say thing, begging to win. Now look at America what do
    I see the SAME OLD ,SAME OLD, that will happen Because
    you can't see. I WANT A FIGHTER SOME WON WHO
    WILL GET IT DONE. (HILLARY !)

OBAMA WILL GIVE AMERICANS EXCUSES JUST LIKE HE'S
    DOING NOW, HE MAY BRING YOU ALL TOGETHER. AS
    FOR CHANGE, POLICTICS AND POLITRICKS. DOES NOT
    SOUND LIKE CHANGE.

CAN YOU HEAR OBAMA LAUGHING, YES HE IS

mit mar

April 17, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. enomisa

I am close to Obama's age and I was born in Italy. I lived there until I came to the USA at age 6.

According to Obama-speak and twisted logic, that gives me a window into better understanding the international community.

According to Obama that makes me MORE qualified than all 3 candidates in foreign policy experience (since I lived abroad for 3 more years than Obama himself).

The world now is not the same as the world of 35-45 years ago. And Indonesia (just like Italy) isn't the world.

Does Obama actually believe his own nonsense?

Shame on the media for going along with this ridiculous drivel and hype.

April 17, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Dustin

My Fellow Obama Supporters,

GET A GRIP!!!!!Please stop bashing Hillary and her supporters. Obama asks us to help him change this country. He cannot do it alone. If we fall prey to this PITIFUL infighting, we will change NOTHING. We must treat those with different opinions with dignity and respect. On NPR, a gentleman from the Philadelphia Daily News(I believe) said how much of the negativity coming from Obama's campaign came from staffers who insisted that they had to fight back, Obama didn't truly want it. Much like I am sure he doesn't want us treating others with distain on his behalf. CHange, no matter who the candidate be, comes from within ourselves. If we truly believe in the hope for a better future, we will have to do it by uniting with people from all walks of life.....I realize, like what most of us post, this will fall on deaf ears..because few people read, but many talk without thinking. Let's change our attitudes. Allow Hillary to run the course, allow her supporters to do just that. In the end, hopefully we will not have burned so many bridges that we cannot re-cross them to join our fellow Democrats. With that, Vote CHange..Change Yourself..Change the way the world sees us..and ask yourself how hard this will be...

Floridian for OBAMA2008

April 17, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. enomisa

Thanks ABC for hosting the first relevant debate framed against the constitution itself.

The voters appreciate your sticking to the political nad economic issues and holding BOTH candidates accountable for their positions.

Up to now it has been American Idol with the Cable networks and their Obama worship

April 17, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Voting Values in the NW

I keep saying it and I hope it gets posted this time. Clinton's race has long been over. The media would report it as such if it wouldn't hurt their ratings. Unless she pulls down total landslide sunami-like victories from here on out, then Obama will have the popular vote and delegate lead and the SuperDelegates will have no choice but to anoit the popular vote winner. The can't over-ride the Democratic populis without sending Democrats into a boycot of Nov.

Its all over but the crying shootin and drinkin.

I think Obama is great and he will unite the Country (other than the 1/3 who stubernly still like Bush Jr.) and the World.

April 17, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Peter

Hey "Europe," that wasn't dignity last night. That was a petulant child. That's why Obama's going to lose yet another major electoral state. And, no, it won't be close.

Peter S.
    Georgia

April 17, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Courtney

It will definitely be interesting to see how things are shaken up once the true election starts. I have a feeling that Senator McCain's worst enemy will be "Presidential Candidate McCain." His appeal to moderates will go down the more he flip flops. He's sadly turning into one of those politicians he used to deride.

As for the debate last night, I'm curious about all the claims of "the media asking Obama tough questions." Were we watching the same debate? Because, in my humble opinion, a tough question is something like "Senator Obama, as someone who consistently proclaims the need for American leadership to talk to leaders we don't like, why do you support refusing to talk to groups like Hamas?" A question along the lines of actual policy and issues. I'm sorry, I don't personally care why he doesn't wear a flag on his lapel or if he can somehow prove whether his pastor loves America or not.

People are constantly complaining they don't know what candidates stand for. Since they seem so reluctant to do the necessary research, it should be debates and responsible journalism (key word responsible) that inform our largely uninformed public.

April 17, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Greg, NY

Let Freedom Ring April 17th, 2008 1:01 pm ET

Greg in NY said above that he wants to spray some Obama on his pans because NOTHING sticks to him…

You're right, Greg. None of the greasy crud that Hillary Clinton cooks up sticks to Obama, thank God. So go ahead and spray him on your pans. He'll probably give your food more flavor, too.

That was exactly my point. I love the fact that nothing sticks to him after all the crud she's throwing at him.

I was just trying to lighten up the conversation lol

April 17, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. lived in Europe

lived in Europe until I was 7 years old. So I have lived in the US now for over 40 years- just like Obama.

I guess, since I lived outside the US and since the international community is generally better informed on foreign affairs, like Obama, that gives me a better understanding of how other countries view America.

And qualifies me in foreign policy.

Is he- and the media- for real?

I will say this though… My family lived through the European (Italy and Germany) infatuation with Charismatic leaders who inspired the youth of the country with their hype of hope.

Ultimately those demagogues led THEIR bitter and angry nations to ruin. My family and us (their children) DO remember the lesson learned in that mistake.

NO OBAMA.

April 17, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. steve

this is worse debate i ever see they never ask the right qustion they ony ask qustion that dont matter.it was like clinton payoff the media it was bad.

April 17, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. Eric

As an Obama spporter, I was certainly disappointed by the debate last night. And I do have to admit Obama wasn't all there, I think he was a little surprised by how stupid the questions were. But at the end, I do think it was good for him and I think the whole debate was orchestred in a way so he has a chance to improve on his weaknesses. Let's face it, once in front of Mccain, the only chance Rep party has to beat him will be to hit as low as possible. They won't stick to the issues, considering Mccain does not have any real understanding on the economy, foreigh policy or domestic issues.

So a good practice but Obama does have to perform better and look less annoyed, more focused. His major quality, the fact that he thinks before giving an answer, is sometimes a flaw in a debate, because morons will think he is unsure.

April 17, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. Hillary won

CNN please post this- it is not a duplicate because you have not posted it.

ABCs debate was the most specific, relevant and fair one.

He hedges ALL his positions.

No to Obama.

Hillary is the BEST candidate and will make a great president.

April 17, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. Jan

Do any of you people realize that is Obama does not get the nomination you will have riots in the streets, burning buildings,
    looting anfd killing of innocent people. It's not about who will be the best next President it's about who is black and who is white.

Stop Obama in his tracks now

Won't wear the American Flag
    Believes in Rev. Wright
    His wife is anti American
    Will not put his hand over his heart for the National Anthum

DOES THIS TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MAN????

April 17, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. Voting Values in the NW

I keep saying it and I hope it gets posted this time. Clinton's race has long been over. The media would report it as such if it wouldn't hurt their ratings. Unless she pulls down total landslide tsunami-like victories from here on out, then Obama will have the popular vote and delegate lead and the SuperDelegates will have no choice but to anoint the popular vote winner. They can't over-ride the Democratic populist without sending Democrats into a boycott of Nov.
    Its all over but the crying shootin and drinkin.

I think Obama is great and he will unite the Country (other than the 1/3 who stubbornly still like Bush Jr.) and the World.

April 17, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. candidate with three or four heads

Enomisa aka hillary:
    No that that does not give you any experience it is more like what billary claims she got from her husband..........
    just do a little reading and research that is not what Obama says it is what HIllary states in her statements and evne last night..

guess who drives the media and has for years?
    guess who deals with canadians and colombians regarding nafta (oh forgot mexico)
    guess who lied about Bosnia?
    guess who lied about the girl who die and "had no insurance,"
    guess who puts a foundation together to avoid paying taxes
    guess who flies in a private jet and tell the rest of us to save energy
    guess
    and guess
    guess who says is a feminist and lives with a cheater for husband?
    guess who claims she fights for human rigths yet is privately making deals with china, colombia and saudis???

GUESS

April 17, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Maria

I'm sick of the Bush/Clinton, Bush/Clinton. Old politics! Hillary speaks in generalizations. No real actions to support her experience. First lady is not a elected official. She's been in the senate 6 years. Do your research and review how she got to the senate and so called accomplishments. People are voting for her on Name recognition. The Clinton's have a lot of baggage!. Obama could go negative on those Clinton years but he is about the issues. He is a smarter man. I think last night he demonstrated focus on the issues and determination to address them. Hillary likes to sound loud and strong but she is weak on actions. Obama "08

April 17, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Voting Values in the NW

"John McBush"... that cracks me up!

April 17, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Christian, Tampa FL

Then it is clear: Obama is the nominee to carry the Democrats to victory. If the polls favor him now in those states, I sincerely believe that they will favor him even more clearly as we approach November and voters are reminded of the big differences between Obama and McCain on important issues.

April 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |