April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. carlo

Well, I figure is McCain and Clinton can raise money off of Obama, it wouldn't be a bad idea if he did the same.

April 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Brian

Awww CNN I know you must be disappointed about the debate last night, but really it IS news and maybe you should report on it? I know it's hard, when your boy Obama got stomped on by Hillary, but you know as a NEWS network that it's hard for you to ignore. Though by today's headlines you are trying. I guess I'll just suggest here that everyone go to a REAL news network, like MSNBC, Fox, USA Today, or the New York Times to read about the beating that Barack took last night. Funny how little we know about the guy that is coming to light now, oh well, that shouldn't be a surprise at all, should it? Most of his supporters had NEVER EVEN HEARD HIS NAME before last fall 😉

April 17, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Chris Banner

Ms Hillary should change her campaign strategy and stop attacking Obama from all fronts...........
    Her campaign has become so negative, and it is hurting our party
    Please Hillary,stop this nonsense and drop out

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. James, PA

David Plouffe was right. That debate was worthless.

April 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Hey, when it becomes obvious that media loves McCain and abuses Obama, people will stand up and give, I would have given today too, but I just gave Obama a couple of days ago when McCain tried to raise money of off the "bitter" remarks.

April 17, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

THE ONLY CREDIT HILLARY DESERVED IS BAD CREDIT. PLEASE PAY YOUR BILLS. (did say that out loud again?) oops, sorry

GO HILLARY. WE LOVE YOU

April 17, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Daniel, Loganville Ga

Congrats to Sen. Clinton on winning the debate on ABC. I now know I do not want the same old politics.....OBAMA '08

YES WE CAN!!

April 17, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. EFabian

LOL......HAHAHAHAHA

SO now it's Hillary's fault that Obama was hit with hard questions??

I cannot believe the wimps in the Obama campaign.

April 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. ***AMERICAN***

Why so much hate and name calling?

Isn't the end goal what is best for the country?

A divided party will not stand in November but crumble under it's own weight.

People stop the insanity.

Stand as one or fall as many.

The choice is up to you.

Make it count!

Please post, we need this to end.

April 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Brown

I'll donate $100 tonite!

April 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. Joy

I just made a contribution!!! Last night was sickening! 45 minutes of garbage before either are allowed to discuss issues. A disgrace...

April 17, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. Danny

Thanks Hillary, this should be at least another 2 mil for Barack. You are a loser and your supporters will soon find that out, if they don't know already.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  13. Ana in L.A.

Yes, Sen. Clinton did so much better then Obama last night. His true weaknesses were made obvious. The bias at CNN has chosen to not report that but rather only the pro-Obama commentaries. I think Cafferty is the worst in regards to this.

April 17, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Done with HILLARY CLINTON

Yep, I got this email and I already donated, again!!! That debate was a joke, he's going to need the money to fight the Republican – Hillary Clinton. I mean Democrat – Hillary Clinton (or did I). I couldn't tell she was a democrat last night.

I hope Saturday Night Live will do a bias sketch for Obama this weekend !

OBAMA 08

April 17, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Veronica

To protest against the bias and for keeping the public away from important issues I donated 75 dollars before the mailer was sent.

The debate really pissed me off.

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. Antoinette

Wow

The numbers have gone up tremendously

Someone donated on behalf of me as well and then made another donation matching mine

Im very happy right now. I think he has a chance of winning Pennsylvania

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  17. John

It does have to be played this way, due to the fact that the media refuses to slam Obama over the company he keeps. He is down in the gutters with the likes of Wright, Ayers and Larry Sinclair. The media is afraid to surface the Sinclair accusation because they will be labled racist. This guy is the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to America-Period!

If not Clinton, then McCain!

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Greg

The fact that one of the moderators in the debate was a senior political adviser to the 1992 U.S. presidential campaign of Bill Clinton and later became Clinton's communications director is beyond reproach and ABC should be taken to task for allowing such a thing to occur.

I cannot imagine how in the world anyone would think that was a fair and reasonable thing to do.

If Obama was being shown favoritism by the media prior to this debate, I would say this rigged debate more than evened out the score.

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  19. simon

The ABC debate was the most two sided and fairest debate I have ever seen so far. Obama supporters didn't like the debate because for the first time, their candidate didn't get the royal treatment. I am proud of ABC.

April 17, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Elisa

Obama never asked Hillary to drop out but I guess now is the time drop out gracefully before she is hammered in Penn state.

April 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. DJ, LA, CA

Yes...the questions were a joke by ABC. Typical tabloid style cheap journalism to skip the important policy-related questions.

Instead ABC felt compelled to DWELL on stupid wedge issues. Broken record yet again on Rev. Wright. Those were not even Obama's words! Why do they keep dwelling?

Gotta love Obama's comback at George when he said that he was only 8 years old when Ayers did those things. Also when he left Clinton speechless when he confronted her about when Bill pardoned them, which is 100x more significant that having a discussion.

April 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. AZM

Last nights debate was one of the best I've ever seen...
    To see how far the Clintons (Royal Family) have fallen in their own party warms my heart.

However she is very tough... and will fight to the end... at least I hope so!

Obama 08... It's win win for everyone!

April 17, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Jenn

Thanks ABC for your sub standard jounalism. George and Charles did a good hit job but not good enough.

Probably Hillary did not pay them enough before the debate.

April 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Heidi

Yep, we're sending money! Thanks to the tag team of Charlie (you better not raise my capital gains millionaire) and Greggy ( I worked for Billary snubyloppogus)

April 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Kenneth M

BRIAN, STOMPED ON BY HILLARY? WHAT A TURN ON. HER BRAND OF POLITICS? WHAT A TURN OFF.

April 17, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |