April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jim Farr

I'm donating again!! I donate to Barack every time Hillary goes really negative, its killing my finances!! I have donated 3x in the last 2 weeks!!!

April 17, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. debbie

Hillary did not ask the questions but, as usual, blame her when Obama looks stupid. I will never vote for Obama. I'm sick of hearing about Hillary not being able to be trusted when Obama has just as much egg on his face. He is not a saint, he's a typical politican. Open your eyes people. All politican's tell you what you want to here, Obama is just like the rest of them. Sorry, but I trust Hillary when it comes to running this country. Congrats to Barrack for a possible endorsement by Haams.

April 17, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. lynette

I just donated! Obama 08, just say no to all those other old out of step politicians and hello to 2008 "keeping it real" politics!

April 17, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Harvey in Va

It is such a shame with all the money Obama has raised he gets his foot caught in the door during the debate so he squeezes his supporters for more. Same old story just cant get enough money

Go Hillary

April 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. Frank, Missouri

I am one of over 1 Million !

I just send in $25 – last week I bought some really cool shirts. Everybody keeps asking about them in the office.

-------------------------------
    About:
    jaybee April 17th, 2008 3:10 pm ET

I donated $150 to the Obama campaign back in February and I want my money back!
    -----------------------------–***

Jaybee, we all know your post is a fake – but instead of whining here you can contact the Obama campaign. I am sure they don't want your money either. Send it to your $109Mio candidate for a bigger ego. She'll forward it to Mark Penn to pay off the $3Mio she still owes him of the $8Mio he got from the campaign contributions to the Clinton campaign ... so send your charity to Mark Penn through Clinton 🙂

April 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. Desiree

If Obama thinks it's tough now then he should quit because this is going to look like a picnic compare to what the Republicans will do to him. Take a look at history, even the founding fathers had bitter elections, this is nothing compare to what went on back then. Obama is a skilled politician but right now he's playing the wounded victim role to get sympathy votes. He needs to man up and get in there and stop the whining.

April 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. Lois

It's about time that Obama started to be quizzed like a candidate and not a pop star. He was not being picked on but finally treated as all candidates should be treated by journalists.

All the candidates should face tough questions, not adoration from the press. Then and only then will the voters have a real chance of making an informed decision.

The questions last night do matter; they speak as much to character and strength under fire as a policy speech.

April 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Penny

The debate wasn't worthless becasue I am so angry with what the media is doing I made another contribution to OBAMA! He will win in spit of all of crap that is written in the media especially ABC's terrible tabloid debate last night.

Yes We Can!

April 17, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Rick, PA

It is funny, but all the people talking about how Hillary blowing away Obama last night evidently have not seen the polls on ABC or the Drudge Report today. Both indicate Obama won the debate by significant margins. Yes, they are instant polls, but quite a lot of people took the time to vote and they are on two entirely different sites. One has to wonder is the country really is seeing the real Hillary once and for all!

April 17, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Celia Ann in Michigan

Protest with your Stimulus Checks!!!

April 17, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. forObama

I just donated $25 and will do the same tomorrow...

Obama08!

April 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. TEFLON OBAMA

Just donated $750

Do the same my friends...these Clinton supporters will get the point soon.

April 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Sherylanne

FOR THE FIRST TIME, THIS DEBATE DIDN'T ASK QUESTIONS THAT WOULD GLORIFY OBAMA. OBAMA LIED IN HIS ANSWERS AND ANYONE WHO REALLY KNOWS AND BEEN FOLLOWING POLITICS WOULD OF PICKED IT UP.

KUDOS TO ABC FOR BEING THE REAL NEWSCASTERS. MAKES CNN LOOK LIKE AN OBAMA CAMPAIGN NETWORK (ONN).

April 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Sean

Just sent $100 more. We can make a difference!

April 17, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. fred

You sure called it right suze!!

April 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. Diane

I am so tired of the "childish" postings by both Clinton and Obama supporters. I didn't realize we were running against each other instead of the candidates. Please use a little maturity in your blogs–you can get a point across while acting mature.

I am an Obama supporter because I remember too well the Clinton years and what a laughing stock they were. I realize you have a tendency to forget that kind of thing after going through this last 7 years, but I want someone who is trying to do the right thing and not just going through one scandal after another. And yes, Hillary has presented herself as being a large part of the Clinton years, so she will have to take responsibiltiy for all of it and not be so selective of what she wants to take credit for.

April 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. Registered Independent

To those that say Hillary is not responsible for her husbands pardons and other dealings... Sorry you are wrong. She claims 35 years experience 8 of those years were as first lady, as part of the administration. So if she wants to be tied to all the good things of the Clinton administration, she has to be tied to the negative too, thats the way it goes. So on her resume, along with those pardons include NAFTA, Whitewater, Lewinsky, and a dozen other issues and scandals. She directly tied herself to his administration when she claimed that experience as her own.

I find it funny that so many allow her to distance herself from all the bad points of the clinton years, while claiming the good, but then easily turn around and take people that Obama simply knows and apply their thoughts and feelings to him. Hillary, GTFO before you ruin the party.

April 17, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. try some logic

Thanks Kim
    I liked the logic of this post:

The two individuals that were pardoned did their time and they did not make statements after 9/11 that they should have done more harm.

There is a difference. Ayers never did any time and he made these statements after 9/11. He and his wife hosted a fund raiser for Obama.

Why didn't MSM ask Obama about Ayers until ABC had the guts to do it? Now Obama supporters, in typical fashion want to try and flip it as a Clinton Issue.

Hillary is not accountable for the pardons of ANY past presidents.

Bill Clinton Pardoned them he was the President not Hillary Clinton. You can't have it both ways either she was an intricate part of the Administration or she was not. If she is going to take the bad, then she needs to get credit for the good also.

Which is it Obamabots and CNN? Which direction do you wanna go in, a pardon is not a friendship, when is Ayers going to do his time?

April 17, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. Matthew, Philadelphia, PA

Fair or unfair, the fact remains that Obama never addressed any of these questions. He wiggled his way out of answering them – at least Hillary fessed up to the Bosnia gaffe and apologized.

Plus, I find it pretty rich that the Obama campaign is complaining that the moderators of the debate were tough on them. I didn't hear any complaints after the last 20 or so debates when Obama was treated like a prince. He is only showing he cannot handle pressure.

I'm sad to to say it, but if Hillary is not the nominee I will be a McCainocrat (are people using that word yet?). Obama is just not ready to be president.

April 17, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  20. Anna

OBama always, give some far-fetched answers, about people he knows that has a questionable background, Why is it he know's so many of them.?.."Birds of a feather flock together as the old saying goes" I believe he knew what his pastor was talking about, and for him to stay in that church, and listen to the hate, coming out of the pulpit Sunday after Sunday, is simple, he had to agree with that message..We know very little about his background, he said he is a christian, but the other day, in a speech he said he believes in evolution, I think he gives good speeches, but is a confused american, due to his rearing... He is not black, but a mullato.My vote will go to McCain, if he is the nominee via democrat...Hillary won the debate!!!!!. Think about how much better the ecomony was when her husband was in office. Yes, I want that back, or as you say the same old politics.

April 17, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS POST?

Obama is GOD

April 17, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  22. Claire

You know, Hillary sends out emails for money about anything asking for money.

Obama's campaign did the same. The debate was worthless. I stopped watching.

Get over it Hillary people. Your candidate is done.

April 17, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. Eddie

Obama is trying to make this race about the poeple,get out and fight for him and us.

April 17, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  24. CLEAN

Just sent him another 20$$$ GOBAMA

April 17, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Jimmy169

I just donated another 5 dollars, earlier this week I donated, 10, and have never donated before that. I wish I could donate more but being in college money is tight, but I know any little bit helps since he doesn't take money from lobbiests or special interests, and I'll be donating more during the general because I know he will move on to the General.

Thank you Obama, for rising above all of this none-sense, you've inspired so many young students including college students like myself! Thanks again, keep up the great work!

April 17, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |