April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. heidi

I liked the debate. It is time we get to know the candidates who might next be our Commander in Chief. Obamas campaign needs to address the American people in their need to know the person's character as well as their political views. I mean really, he could be in charge of our nation's future. This is serious! Who we have running our country will not only be viewed by Americans, but by foreign entities as well. That will affect our future with them as well. I don't care who it is- Clinton, McCain, or Obama- we need to know who this person will be. The coverage up to this past several weeks has been very kind to Obama. However it is time for the media to really show some substance and do the investigating that journalism is supposed to be about. Read the blogs, read past articles about the candidates and get it out to the people. We count on you. Perhaps too much and then we come up short on the facts. Our futures depend on what we know. We need to arise above the views of the groupie mentality that is currently so hyped by the media. That is what is now dominating the primary. Heck the media doesn't even know how to handle last night's debate. Now they have to do their homework. Hold them accountable!

April 17, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. TJ IN LA

How will she (Billary) know the "phone" is ringing in the middle of the night...when she can't tell if she's being shot at by sniper?

Charlie & George...total waste of skin.

April 17, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Confuse Voter

Caroline, what part of Europe did you came from? Americans should care because we spend millions of money rescuing Europeans especially during the NAZI regime. It seems like European communities don't want to start something withouth the USA's leadershhip. Look what happened to Bosnia! USA TO THE RESCUE! And if something goes wrong IT'S SO EASY TO BLAME AMERICA! Thank goodness for Americans who lost their lives so that Europe as a whole is free today from communism. I have a 20/20 vision and I think Hillary is a beautiful woman. By the way, anybody can go to school if they really want to. Student loans are available (I'm still paying for mine). Don't always blame the government when it comes to education. Students can go to school from pre-school to high school for free. It's unfortunate that some students that don't have good parents, guardians and good role models choose to drop out of school.

April 17, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Pure Amazement

This is called strategy.... Smart thinking.... Always looking to capitalize!!!

April 17, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Willie

After that debate, i dontated $200 to the Clinton Campaign. I did not know that Obama served on a board with a domestic terrorist. That was crazy. Obama cannot even take up for himself. He looked like a scared puppy last night. Obama is weak.

By the way Obama, I want my $75 back that I dontated to your campaign in March. You have shown me how weak you are in debates. You didn't know what to say to Clinton.

April 17, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. Ilona Proud Canadian

I did not watch the debate, but from everything I've heard and read today, I am convinced that from the outset, this was never meant to be a debate, it was meant to do exactly what ABC and Sen. Clinton did, that is, bash Sen. Obama.

I believe that Sen. Clinton knew what the questions were going to be, before the so-called debate, that's why she was so glib in her answers. Did I not hear that one of her henchmen was there?

But as usual, this deception has already started to backfire on her. I think there is a lot more to come.

April 17, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Beverley Allen

I THINK HILLARY WILL NEED HER FAKE SALVATION NOW, I DONT THINK SHE REALIZES THAT PEOPLE SEE RIGHT THROUGH HER!! CAN SOMEONE BE SO DUMB TO BE ON NATIONAL TELEVISION ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS FOR HER BAREFACED LIES AND AT THE SAME TIME SLAMMING AND REFUSES TO LET UP ON HER OPONENT FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH THAT SHE "TWISTED". SHE'S A CLASIC "TWISTER".

April 17, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Bushwacked

Jan, are you suggesting that the Clinton campaign does NOT ask for money? Please!

To all of you who complain that Obama 'has all this money and won't tell anybody where it came from', this should be your answer. It comes from all these individuals, including me, who donate small amounts in large numbers. If that kind of support scares you - so sorry.

Eugene, OR

April 17, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. shelgirl

I have tried my best to be civil to Hillary supporters. I have voted for her twice in NY and considered voting for her again. In fact, I still would over McCain because all the rest of the republicans come along with McCain. But her supporters make it rough. I am no longer willing to be civil. You all are IDIOTS. You people are just STUPID & HATEFUL. It is starting to look like that is what she attracts and who wants to be part of a gang like that. I would rather drink the kool aid.

April 17, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. BAKERSFIELD

PICK OBAMA OFF THE FLOOR, OBAMA SAID LOOK EVERYBODY THEY ARE BEING MEAN TO ME. IF YOUR AGAINST THEM KNOCKING ME DOWN SEND ME MORE OF YOUR MONEY

April 17, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. linda

I dont think Rev.Wright is on the right track when he spouts off stuff such as D-n the USA and I think that whole church is filled with anti-American hooplah.Or should I say anti-white.I've not been to his church but I can say that I dont think that God would appreciate what is being preached on his behalf.I believe that Mr.Obama is filled with exactly the same morals as Rev.Wright.I just hope Mr.Wright keeps going on with his so called preaching because it gives us an insight to what Obama is really about.My vote goes ..... not to Obama.

April 17, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. Hillary '08

Just made a huge contribution to Hillary and have many other people I know that are going to be doing the same thing. Obama needs to be stopped NOW!

GO HILLARY!!!!

April 17, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. chris

All the commentary on the debates both on cnn and time have obama winning them. I missed the debates. After reading these posts, I'm wondering what I'm missing.

April 17, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Adam, Kansas City, MO

To Brian,

CNN did report on the debate last night, ever watch AC360?? They spent the first half hour talking about the debate. You're right Brian, Fox News does a MUCH better job of reporting this than CNN. In the words of your boy Bill Clinton "GIVE ME A BREAK."

April 17, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. ECHEWEOZO

i donated $50 last night and i will donate more to beat hillary out of this race

April 17, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Wallace

I'll sign up with Obama campaign and donate $100. I am ready for change. I will cast my vote for Obama.

April 17, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Pinnochio Clinton

Just watch, Folks. The Supers will start flocking Obama's way. Start counting now ...

April 17, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Brandy

Brian, Brian, Brian,

Obama got stomped last night? I don't think so! He showed that he can rise above Ms. Negativity! I'm so glad that folks are beginning to see this woman for what she is and everybody else...I don't know what to tell ya! LOL

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. D.Elliott

People are faithful to Mrs. Clinton,and they are trying to give her a chance, but she comes out with unnecessary comment and it's really disappointing. It is as plain as that.

April 17, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. cindy

I will donate $100.00 today. ABC, CNN, MSNBC can all go to H!

April 17, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. jj

he's got all this money donated and he still couldn't beat Clinton just imagine if she were black, boy would he have had a problem. It amazes me that he asks people who don't have jobs and can't feed their family so he can have money for more advertisements. I thought that he had enough to go until January.

April 17, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Chief lagosboy, NJ

Yep! David Plouffe, is so right that garbage yesterday night, sorry I mean debate was so one-sided and pro-Hillary, it was sickening to watch. Moron Charlie Gibson and Little George Stephanoupolis you both are a disgrace and should be both fired for giving such bias and shameful performance. ABC should never host another debate NEVER, they are out of there league, I honestly thought I was watching the FOX Network. Very disappointing, I got the email and I have already donated, Moron Charlie Gibson and Little George Stephanoupolis should also donate to Obama for wasting our time last night! Shame on you ABC!

Our President Obama 08' & 12'

April 17, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. Sue

I donated.Come on America just say no to CLINTON!!!

April 17, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. Jason Smith

I feel the debate was a little off centered with all of the attacks on Barack. I was once a Clinton supporter, however I can no longer trust her and feel she has become too negative. There is far to much negative in this world today. I was hoping Clinton would change. Barack took a beating last night from both Clinton and the reporters. However, he still stayed positive v/s getting into the negative as Clinton did. I need inspiration and she has failed to deliver it.

Lets Go Barack, YES WE CAN....!!

April 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Wellstonian Democrat

Obama supporters may not be talking about supporting McCain, but I've hear plenty say they will write Obama in if Clinton "steals the nomination". He may not win but this time we're going to "vote for what we believe in."

April 17, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |