April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Michael

This is pretty sad that the only way Obama run his campaign and raise money is to attack Hillary by saying all she is doing is being negative. I've watched almost every one of her rally's on the internet from PA, and almost never mentions Obama. She talks about her ideas and solutions for the American people. This whole notion of her attacking Obama is him playing politics, the same this he was saying people shouldn't do. A distraction from her positive performance at the debate. He is scared people will see his is the more inexperienced one.

This is so funny to me.

GO Hillary when you win PA by 15% Obama is gone.

April 17, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. Julie

The more negative Hillshill and McSame get, the more donations Obama receives. Keep it up traitor Hillary – McSame...just keep being irrelevant.

April 17, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  3. Audrey

Maybe Hillary is really republican.

April 17, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. OBAMERICAN,WORLDWIDE(CANADA)

CHERYL------ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH--LAUGH.
    YOU ARE a confusionist,U KNOW Y?– BECAUSE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU,EACH TIME I READ YOUR COMENT I GET CONFUSED AND MY LUNGS ALWAYS PAINS ME FROM LAUGHING.
    ANYWAYS
    BARACK OBAMA SHOULD BE THE "WORLD PRESIDENT" NOT JUST AMERICAN.I WISH HE IS FROM HERE.

April 17, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. geecee827

I have donated to Senator Obama's campaign 3 times thus far, and plan to do so again. I wouldn't donate to a campaign that I felt was losing. This man is what America needs and with all our support and votes he can become our next President. I have no doubt we will be proud of his service to our Country once he takes office as he is very capable of bringing this Country together, fixing its many social ills, and also raising our self-esteem in the World once again, since it has been so badly damaged by the Bush regime. We need Obama for this Country, so let's get behind him.

April 17, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Sandra

I thought Obama did very well under the circumstances at Wednesday nights' debate, despite the both moderators being pro-Clinton. He certainly looked and sounded more presidential than that "bitter" strident woman.
    A comment regarding CNN – there is one person there that is not pro-Obama – Lou Dobbs. Although he claims to be an Independent, he sounds more and more like a pro-Clinton supporter. Let your guests speak their piece before cutting them off when you don't like what they are saying – SO RUDE!
    Sandra in Toronto, Canada

April 17, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. lodigg

I'll be sending my donation today! Hillary is a joke, and she lies with a straight face. What about what she didd to Mr. Paul. Check it out on Youtube. "The video Hillary does not want you to see." Type in Hillary uncensored videos. Someone tried to block it on youtube, probably Bill or her campaign. It will still come up on a different website.

April 17, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. Obama Supporter

I always send more money when Obama is getting beaten up on – frankly, that's when I figure he needs the support.

Anyone who thinks that a debate moderated by a Clinton surrogate who bragged in advance on Hannity's show about bringing up negative issues on Obama is FAIR or ACCURATE or UNBIASED is a moron.

April 17, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  9. Dan

I will be donating to the Obama campaign today. Obama spared Hillary on Bosnia and NATFA. He took the high road. Obama talks to the American people like adults, Clinton is part of the partisan politics of the 90's. Time to move on.

Barack the "Rock" 08!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  10. Mary

This is for Brian's remark posted @2:51p.m. It is very distasteful to use "boy" to describe a black man .It just shows how racist and poor judgement some people can get especially if you are a Christian as claimed by Americans. True Christians love every colour or creed.Never put down anybody or be negative.It puts you off off the map I happen to like CNN and I watch it alot from Canada especially this election.I find them informative .CNN is my choice.

April 17, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. Dee

Hillary supporters stop crying an go donate to Hillary.LMAO

April 17, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. No Obama Social state. ( Chicago voter)

I don't want Snobama to be our president.
    He reminds me of Bush.
    He's cooky, errorgant without any substance backing him up.
    He can talk the prepared speech, but when he has to answer questions. He can't do that. all he said is "ah, ah, .. pause, ah,,ah"
    It was painful watching this man talk.
    OMFG, American people! wake up. this guy doesn't have brain or gut to lead this great country.
    I'd like modest person, like Hillary to be our president.
    She's smart and articulate. Her plan is really good.
    plus, her cut of the middle income is $250K, not $75K
    I make my hard earn money, I don't want it to go to people who don't work.
    Hillary is more moderate. I like her view a lot.
    Obama hasn't improved a thing in Chicago and IL where he started his political career. Why do you think he will improve anything if he ,god forbid, ever becomes president of USA?

April 17, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. ECHEWEOZO

yes obama can

no hillary can not

April 17, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. bernice

When Obama wins everyone will say that they voted for him just like they did when Kennedy won.

April 17, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. Kimberly

It's amazing how we go back and forth about Hillary & Obama, who supports them, or dilikes them, yada yada...I've said it before and I'll say it again, whether you support Hillary or Obama, If your a Dem, when November comes, whatever your disagreements, suck it up! The more divided we are and the nastier this gets, we don't hear about the issues, all we hear about stuff that doesn't matter. Can we please stop calling Obama a racist...remember, it takes one to know one. Let's stop calling Hillary names, let's stop it all! I want know why I'm paying almost $40 when I fill up, I want to know about the economy...all the twisting of words, name calling – we have to do what's best...I think the Dems have a plan but it's being overshadowed by all the nonsense. I don't think we can stand another four years of misery, and Bush is not making it easy for us to come back either – that's the we need to be looking at, that's why I'm voting for change, and please don't guess if I mean Obama or not! I just know it will be Dems...If Obama or Hillary ever reads these thing, please STICK TO THE ISSUES, you'll come out better.

April 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. Courtney

As for the debate last night, I'm curious about all the claims of "the media asking Obama tough questions." Were we watching the same debate? Because, in my humble opinion, a tough question is something like "Senator Obama, as someone who consistently proclaims the need for American leadership to talk to leaders we don't like, why do you support refusing to talk to groups like Hamas?" A question along the lines of actual policy and issues. I'm sorry, I don't personally care why he doesn't wear a flag on his lapel or if he can somehow prove whether his pastor loves America or not.

People are constantly complaining they don't know what candidates stand for. Since they seem so reluctant to do the necessary research, it should be debates and responsible journalism (key word responsible) that inform our largely uninformed public.

And can we please stop judging candidates on their supporters? My parents support Clinton, I support Obama, and yet we're both willing to vote for whoever the democratic nominee is. You can't hold a candidate responsible for what Joe Shmoe says online. Everyone's more or less a jerk when it comes to politics. Get over it and please put the country before your egos.

April 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. E. R. Jordan

I am totally surprised by Mrs. Clinton. Before you know it, Mr. Obama will be blamed for the San Francisco earthquake, the Chicago fire, and the San Andreas is HIS fault!!!!

I will repeat a previous comment. Tons of people would like to have Mr. Obama distance himself completely from the Rev. Wright due to the incendiary remarks he made during a sermon. This would mean severing a 20-year relationship–right, wrong , or indifferent. These are probably the same tons of people who are not clammoring to have the United States distance itself from South Carolina–a state that has overtly flown a confederate flag for centuries, offending thousands of its citizens. Will Mrs. Clinton ask South Carolina to cecede if she becomes president?

April 17, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. Cynthia

You know it's hard to believe that american's are actually getting a kick out of the Lies, The Rhetoric, Opinions, Suggestions, "Flag Pins"... come on... I didn't hear anything much about the issues we are faced with. The strains on families because of the continous deployments to Iraq; my husband is on his third tour! What about the rising cost of gas... the rising costs of health care deductibles, what about Seniors paying as much as $10.00 per ductible for much needed medication! What about out homeless... Everyone has "drama" and as my grandmother always told me "While trying to dig a ditch for someone, (one) better makes sure they dig two!!!" Enough said... Let's deal with the issues and less with the rhetoric!

April 17, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Jean

Shame On CNN for running down Obama every move he makes, I am sure their getting paid from the Clinton Clan. Go OBAMA!!!

April 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. deb in az

i find it so hard to believe that sen obamas campaign can honestly say that their campaign is not negative......these fools have gone negative at every turn......americans do have the right to know who they are voting for to lead the country

April 17, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. stag

the donationations are not elitist, but the racist liar Hussin believes and acts like an elitist.

April 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Canonsburg, PA

Whatever that TV thing was last night–it was not a debate–it left me really angry. And to use an Obama word, it left me feeling bitter. So I decided to donate to Obama's campaign. I want Obama to knock Clinton out of this race. If there is another debate, I won't watch it. Clinton is not worth my time.

April 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Enough

Ah...Jan – Obama doesn't have to "beg" for donations – he's raised more than clinton and mcsame combined.

April 17, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. GA GAL FOR HIL

Way to go, Hillary!!! All the way to the Whitehouse, girl!!!

April 17, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Rhonda

No it's not her fault–maybe-the questions they asked–although she did read alot from notes–how can that be if she didn't know what was coming?????????? HUMMMMMMMMMMM

Even if she didn't know the questions she did most of the negativity–remember the Bosnia story being brought up and when they asked Barack if he wanted to comment–his reply was that he thought the people wanted to hear about the issues facing the American people---–THAT IS WHAT IS CALLED CHARACTER!!!!!!!!! He could have dug in like Hillary but that would have been to Clinton-like!!!

OBAMA 08