April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. deborah

Sorry Grandbrother, but what Sen Obama did was try to avoid answering any of the questions regarding his questionable judgements during the course of the campaign. At least Sen Clinton APOLOGIZED for embelshing the Bosnia story. The BASIC truth of the story is that she did go to Bosnia, shortly after a war and while there was still some danger from possible snipers but security in the area HELD during her visit. Sen Obama just wants us to ignore Rezko, Wright, Elitist comments (or poorly worded truths in his eyes), saying one thing about NAFTA while his campaign says something else behind closed doors. I will never vote for this man, ever and I have been a Democrat my entire life. I intend to write in Sen Clinton if she doesn't get the nomination, in part because I'm from Florida and so far Sen Obama doesn't want my primary vote to count and in part because the more I hear from the good Senator and his wife, the less respect I have for him. He is more Bush-like in his playground bully attitude than Bush. Perhaps he should switch to the Republican party, his tactics seem more suited to that side of the aisle.

April 17, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. mitch from ark.

looks like i made a good bet,with my money.i'm sorry clinton wasted all you hillary supporters' money,but at least a lot of it came from her special interests backers.i think i'm ready to put some more $ down on my man,barack.

April 17, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. Rhonda

I am an employee of a company and I can dang well donate to whom I want

Obama did not sign anything about guns-a staffer did-dead subject–

TO: citizenwells–Larry Sinclair is sincerely mentally ill!!! It was a scam!!!

April 17, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. bob

Just sent another donation to Barack Obama!

April 17, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. MD

I've given $200 already. I will give another $100.

This is my first time ever to contribute to a campaign, (and I am a registered Republica.)

So please join me America, and let's bring a new kind of leadership to Washington after 20 years of Bushes and Clintons.

April 17, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. Vince - Phoenix

making my second donation today, and my third of $100 on the 30th..!

April 17, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  7. vic nashville,Tn

Obama must understand he will face tough questions when he is running for President of USA. He can’t expect pillow every time. My opinion ABC did what they have to do. Now this is up to the voters
    Hillary 08

April 17, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. Kobs

Obama promised us participative democracy and if we are willin tounit and fight we shallget what we want.
    David Bravo.

April 17, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. April

Obama doesn't want anymore debates because he has no good answers for his, racist remarks, lunatic, racist, anti-American pastor, his shady friends, Rezko. They all point to someone with really poor judgement when money is involved. If he wants to change Washington, how will he go against all his Washington insider friends who are responsible for getting him this far? You know if he can't seperate himself from the other creeps, how will he say no to the power brokers responsible for his political career.

April 17, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Eager to Vote in Indiana

That fundraiser was started days BEFORE the debate!! We're investing in our future!!

April 17, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. spyturtle

Ridiculous. Shameful debate. Hillary's mud slinging is dead in the water. Will donate to Obama tonight.

April 17, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. John

You idiots that keep donating money to candidates who have millions of their own, are obviously not being taxed enough. I hope McCain fixes that for you.

CNN: IT IS TIME TO QUIT HIDING AND AIR THE LARRY SINCLAIR STORY TO THE PUBLIC! AMERICANS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW THE REAL OBAMA!

April 17, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. LL King in Ohio

Our 5th grade daugher watched the ABC debate last night. She told us:

"Hillary looks younger and brighter than Obama. Hillary's voice is much clearer than Obama!"

Are you Obama supporters have better common sense than the 5th Graders?

April 17, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Chris -Hemet, Ca.

Wow! We had eight years of the Bush smirk can you imagine four years of the Clinton smirk?

April 17, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. lombardi

You people are stupied it was okay when hillary was getting slamed but as soon as your boy get tough debate questions you start crying can stand the heat get out of the kitcthen. Come lets play fair you can't have your way all the time, i can't the way you suppose to alduts are acting i can't cnn is allowing you people on this blog oops my bad i forgot i'am not suppose to say that because i don't support obamma i also notice do any of you people have jobs because you spend a lot of time on this blog everyday the same people . Find something better to do with your time like volunteer your time beside on this blog since cnn only post a small number hillary bloger verse obama blogers. But cnn don't wont to upset obama supporters because they don't to lose your support, so that's why there are so many obama bloger sham on cnn but no this won't make the post because the truth hurts.

April 17, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Spider

Ele

He's ahead because he's Black!!!! The man is getting 90 to 95% of the Black vote, but, race is not a factor in the election.
    Tell me that a white man with 2 years as a federal Senator, 1 full term as a state senator and ran unopposed in both of those elections, would stand a chance to be elected President.

April 17, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. DB

I think its pretty evident why the moderators asked the crowd too kepp quiet before the debate. They knew tabloid style questions that took up half the debate would result in jeers and loud boos. Not to mention the fact that because Clinton knew that crowd had been told to be quiet gave her free reign to attack Obama as much as she could. And did she ever! The one good thing about past debates is that if Clinton crossed the line, the crowd could boo and jeer, making everyone fully aware of the low blowes she was throwing. Not to mention the fact that everyones had enough of this dirty, absurd, redicuouls kind of poilitics!!!

April 17, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. King of NJ

I will donate 50$ TONIGHT !!!

take that Sean Hannity & ABC NEWs

April 17, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  19. John Kay

If Obama loses the general election to McCain, Hillary will lose even more when matched-up with McCain in the same election.

Quote of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. Debi

Wonder how many college students will have to file bankruptsy after donating to Obama on their credit cards at 29% interest.

April 17, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Bitter Allen Hussein, Visalia CA

Hee hee, the kitchen sink is only making Obama stronger. Time to do the dishes Billary.

April 17, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Nancy

Canonsburg, I hear you.
    I am tired of Hillary's staged commentary, at Barack Obama's expense.

Enough 'debating', or was that baiting? It's making me BITTER.

April 17, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. David

The ABC debate was a circus in disguise – but not because of the combatants. ABC appeared to be trying to do a National Enquirer and not an informative piece of journalism. George Full-of-poop-olus is no dummy. But why did he come across like a spoiled highschool brat? It's called "ratings". Oh, so sad, ABC. Ya cudda and shudda dun betta!

April 17, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. Mary

The debate was interesting. I wasn't surprised with the questions. The fact that CNN IS PRO OBAMA IS SCARY. What I don't understand is Hilliary is only restating what Barack said regarding "Bitter", and enlighting the rest of America about his comments. Why don't we send Barack an email and ask him to stop getting caught up in his own excitement. Sometimes we got to know when too hold them, and when to fold them. Too much talk can be dangerous, and I am sure Barack and Hilliary are finding that out. I am for Hilliary, and will be for Obama if he is the nominee. I am truly a democrat, and believe in the party. Please stop leaning on Hilliary for something her husband did when he was in the white house. Believe this his good far out weighs his bad. Like Obama says, lets campaign, and get a winner..I am ready...

April 17, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. noemi in los angeles

I got paid today, so I donated $250. It's my fourth time this year.

Go OBAMA!