April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jen B.

Clinton's scorched earth strategy as evident in last night's "debate" says a lot about her lack of commitment to the Democratic party.

April 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. Nicknas

Yes I saw it Yes I agree and YES I am sending in another $100.00

April 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Bosnian Sniper

About to make my fourth contirbution to the Obama campaign.

Apart from the hyper-partisan sniping on this site, people should reflect on what 1.5 million donors reflects. It's not only unprecedented. It's stunnning and will be a game changer for political campaigns from this year forward. You can keep attacking Obama, but he has inspired a groundswell that no one else – Dem or Rep – has come even close to.

April 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. leicheco

I hope this old lady does not win the nomination. I cannot imagine her being able to get beyond what she wants and doingt what is good for America. This "lady" has an ego like the present president-"my way or no way" . She will have "yes" people on her staff just like the current president....so nothing is going to change if HC or McCain get elected!
    Please get this lady gone, she is a whiny, old simp of a woman who we shouldn't even consider for president.

April 17, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. I Will Never Vote For OBAMA

CNN Why are you deleting my posts?

Oh yeah, I forgot, they are pro-Hillary.

I forgot you guys get angry when CNN's goldenboy is scrutinized.

April 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. Jeff

After watching the debate I came to the conclusion that a vote for Hillary was a vote for the “same old thing” that is tearing our nation apart. I then made a donation to the Obama campaign. He is “CHANGE”.

April 17, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Marc, Tacoma Wash

Sad how Hillary used her friend George Stephanopoulos to attack Obama. Sad that George couldn't be a man and instead listened to Hannity. I guess it was FOX who was hosting the debate. Obama came out better then I thought and it just shows the American people who Hillary really is as a person. She will do anything to win. Borrow some of the money from your husband. You know, the 800,000 dollars he received from Colombia. Take some of that money and just go away.

April 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Oprah

Let's see....we're bitter gun toting bigots ...hmmm.....but doesn't he also think that typical white people have reactions that are "bred into our experiences"...Hmmmm...I'm calling the ACLU, they'll help me with this racist guy...what? they WON'T!?!?! They think we should ELECT him as our next President? Somebody pinch me....

April 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Jasmyne

I love sitting back and watching SOME of HRC's supporters cry about the biased media. It really does amuse me. The fact is, I will be the happiest person in the world when HRC and her Mccain loving supporters are looking like fool's with pie on their faces come 4/22. I highly doubt she will win. Definately won't win in the number of delegates. Most of PA's delegates are in the Philly area and guess who's carrying things over there....

PS anybody stupid enough to vote for John Mccain, because Hillary WILL LOSE, can take their votes elsewhere because WE DON'T NEED YOU!

April 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Let Freedom Ring

That 1.5 million donor goal was in progress long before the debate, guys. And, as you can see from the graphic, we're almost there. Fundraising is proceeding as usual.

Obama didn't get "stomped" in that debate. He had a couple of rough moments, but he held his own. Overall, he stood out as the candidate that did not want to focus on dirty smear tactics and instead wanted to focus on issues that are important to voters. He looked vastly more presidential than the Shady First Lady.

April 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. scbrown

WHY DOESN'T CNN HAVE AN HEADLINE ABOUT OBAMA HANDGUN QUESTIONAIRE LIE AND TOUGH QUESTION HE HAVE GOTTEN?!!!!!!

WHY HAVEN'T CNN DID A STORY ABOUT OBAMA LIE ABOUT BEING RACIAL AMBUSH?

THE STORY HE MADE UP IN LIFE MAGAZINE, WHICH IS IN HIS BOOK "DREAMS OF MY FATHER."

LET ME GUESS SOME BIAS REPORTERS ARE GOING TO HIM SECRETLY( OFF THE RECORD) AND TALKING ABOUT HOW HE SHOULD HANDLE THIS-YES YOU HAVE BEEN CAUGHT!!!!

CNN BE FAIR!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. citizenwells

I am not a Hillary fan but I believe she did a great job.
    I am still waiting on a response to Larry Sinclair's comment
    being removed.
    Thank you.

April 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. jl

IF SUPERDELEGATES WOULD STEP-UP, THIS LETTER WOULD

NOT BE NEEDED.

I AM ALMOST AS FRUSTRATED WITH THEM AS I AM WITH CLINTON!!!

April 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Janis Eliason

It won't be anytime soon that I will be watching ABC. Last nights debate was highly disappointing but above all the two commentators asking the questions were not qualified to do so. People want to hear about the issues not bring up what has already been in the news for the last two weeks. Nothing likeable about negative news but I guess that goes hand in hand with the Clintons.
    Canadian point of view.

April 17, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Isaac, Wisconsin

Hillary thank u for that splendid performance in last nite debate. Go Hill..

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Bev

Obama still did not give any straight answers last night at the debate. He is really pretty good at fooling a lot of people and he is supposed to be attracting the educated ones. Heaven help us. Sad part is these educated fools are donating to his campaign.

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Rose - Baltimore, MD

Actually I thought with all the ganging up from Clinton and ABC news moderators in conjunction with Hannity (Fox News), Obama did pretty well.

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Mjc

I'm an Obama supporter but I'm tapped out right now. I gave $25 donations twice this year. Thats all I can afford.

Yes We Can

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. Geez....

When something does not go well, it is human nature to complain. Hence the complaints coming out of the Obama camp about last night's debate. This is the reality of American politics and Obama plays the game as well. What has made Obama appear more positive is that he leaves his dirty work to his surrogates and his campaign people. That has been the only "change" I have seen coming out of Obama's politics.

The media loves this stuff and until the American people change the way we respond to "news", this will escalate even further. And though everyone is complaining about the treatment of Obama, he will make millions off this by responding to his campaign's request for the do re mi.

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Mack

This was the first time that the debate was fair. Sorry Obama didn't get treated like a baby last night.

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. Juliet

Brian, what the hell are you reading. Whatever it was go back and read again. Obama is our front runner, and that won't change except for when the dem party anounce that he is our canidate for november.

April 17, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. not the issue

Hillary Clinton is not accountable for the pardons of past presidents.

April 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Bitter Pill

Brian,
    When Obama wins the nomination, will people like you support him? I've read it over and over in these blogs how Clinton supporters will vote McCain if Obama wins, but you seldom hear Obama supporters say the same. This isn't a sporting event where your "team" either wins or loses, the future of our country is at stake. Will you be American enough to vote for the person that has our best interests in mind?

April 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Jan

I cannot believe Obama is begging for money.

If he would answer questions honestly, people would give to
    without being asked.

April 17, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. No to Obama

Hillary Clinton is not accountable for the pardons of ANY past president.

I will never vote for Obama

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |