April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. scbrown

OBAMA STATEMENT:

"THERE NOTHING ELITIST ABOUT THIS""– IS ELITIST, ARROGANT AND SMUG!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. skipper

IT WAS VERY poorly moderated shame full utterly shame full

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Ohio Dem

Obama's campaign is trying to raise money to buy him a clue. While you're at it, throw CNN a few dollars to hire some real writers.

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Bubbles Daniels

to Brian that referred to Obama as "boy" I imagine that boy is more educated and a lot smarter than you. That is definitely a racist statement and inspite of people like you he is still doing wonderful and Hillary Clinton is not going to win. Don't be such a hater because there is a Black man accomplishing something you and a lot more whites wish you could do. Boy is a term your ancestors, I am sure used years ago. Grow up and quit hating and showing your ignorance.

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Obama all the way...

Great!! I am headed over to donate again now!!

That debate was the most pathetic excuse of a circus I have ever seen. Worse than CNN and FOX combined!! Chuckie Cheese and George Snufaluphagus should not be allowed to call themselves journalists!!! ABC sucks!!!

The American public is tired of the National Enquirer gossip fodder in these debates. Give a smart man and women a chance to debate the real issues facing our country, not the load of crap that was shoveled last night!!

I am done watching debates and watching the news.

I know who my candidate is!!

GOBAMA!!!

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. Jen

Jack Cafferty has nothing to say about the debate, instead he said Clinton & McCain find common enemy in Obama.

Jack Cafferty is a disgrace to CNN.

I respect Wolf Blitzer but he should fire Jack Cafferty so that he doesn't spoil his show.

Jack Cafferty is s big mouth guy – remember what he said about China.

AMERICA SHOULD WAKE UP AND VOTE FOR HILLARY

GO HILLARY

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. jay

Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon here in Ca, and all Americas Cares about is who Sen. Obama sat on a board with. This is Crazy!!!!

Vote for whom you please, but I hope the burden of economy and the war is Iraq fall apon you....becasue that rearly got mentioned last night!!! This will be my first time voting and i can see how a moron like Bush got in office. Becasue America is full of them.

Sen. Obama Sign me up!!!

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Gail

I get a begging email from Hillary eveyday....Please send %5.00, he is out spending us..... at this point people are less inclined to support a losing cause.

Dems unite to beat McCain

April 17, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Alex in San Antonio

Hey Brian "..stomped on...???" If you call that a stomping, then at least give credit to the "mediators" because they are the only ones who did any stomping. Hillary sat there with deer in the headlights look when asked about snipergate and basically said "I lied, I know, get over it"

As far as the whole rev Wright controversy....guilt by proxy is a lazy intellectual game. I have an alcoholic uncle but that doesn't make me one...or does it Hillary supporter?

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. April in Texas

Well if I were Hillary I would be negative to if I were married to Bill Clinton. Last nights debate debacle left me so BITTER I did donate. If I wasnt bitter before I sure am now. The MSM has become nothing more than another tabloid outlet.That debacle of a debate and Hillarys negative jabs certainly sealed my no vote for Hillary in concrete.. All Hillary has managed to do is chip away at destroying the democratic party.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Lynnette

This fundraising effort has been going on for awhile. I know I got the email and it's been up on Obama's website. If he reaches 1,500,000 donations, WOW! It doesn't seem that his performance last night hurt the fundraising efforts at all. Some of his contributors don't like the fact that he was ganged up on last night, but I think it will work to his advantage going forward because this is probably a picture of that the "Republican Machine" had in mind. If Obama didn't have a clue before, now he does. The money keeps rolling in for him. Again, WOW!

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. jyh1920

Well it got me! I'm send more money post haste!

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. suze

It's about time cnn started acting fair and balanced. They're so pro-obama it's terrible. Don't they realize that they're losing viewers who don't agree with them. I thought networks were supposed to tell the news, but cnn has completely changed with cafferty, borger and blitzer. I guess we know how they're going to vote.

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Katy

What about Wright, sniper fire, patriotic pins, "bitter" comments, or past relationships have anything to do with me? I want to know what their plans are for the future of this country.

Having seen people lose their jobs and homes, I don't think I care much about the issues that were brought up last night. It was a bad debate, and that's all there is to it. The issues that will affect people in 2008 and beyond are what is important, and I hope that if there are any future debates, that real issues and plans will be brought up.

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. Independent for Hillary, Pittsburgh

Poor Obama received some tough questions like he was the front runner. booooo hoooo !!! And this guy wants to be president. Not of my country!!!

Clinton-McCain '08

April 17, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. Obama Conservative

Brian, you're right. The media should focus on NEWS. If you saw the debate last night, you'd notice how it was clearly tabloid journalism at its finest (not NEWS). The vast majority of the debate was focused on Rev. Wright, bitter comments, bosnia sniper fire, flag pins ... flag pins? Are they serious? Is that what's facing Americans now? It couldn't be $4/gal gas prices, the economy in shambles, or our military spread too thin.

Nah, we need to focus on the flag pin issue. If all senators would wear flag pins, then all those other problems will clearly solve themselves.

April 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. OlvrWhit

Why is it always about Hillary attacking Obama? She didn't ask the questions in the debate. Barack plays just as dirty and throws his mud also, so his supporters need to get off their high horse..Obama has been going negative before South Carolina.

As for the debate, there were some serious issues raised and even on policy questions, Obama had a tough time. However, his connections are important. I is okay, but now we are seeing that he has many.The Ayers question was fair, and he and Obama are closer than he claimed.

On the hand gun question, Obama clearly lied.. That was a policy question and he told a lie. He did say yes he supported a ban in 96.

On taking money from lobbyist, once again, a small lie..He doesn't take money from the companies, just their employee's. We see proof of bundling of 200,000 from each..This is the same thing and Obama has left this out, preferring to say its us common folks that give him money..

Obama also was not totally honest on his connection and description of Wright..There is no way this man had no clue about his sermons. This makes no sense since a few months back Obama knew this could cause him problems.

So while he tries to distract us with retoric, he still does not apologize for his comments behind closed doors, he re-tells the story with a softer version to pander for PA votes..

This man may be our next President. He needs to be vetted. His answer is always the same and thats not good enough.

Obama, be truthful to the American people.

April 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Bob

I do not understand the moderators motive..They were distracting the real issues with petty questions. It is shame on ABC to telecast such a debate. It looks like ABC has a total biased approach. In future independent agencies should moderate the debates.Finally I concluded that even media is not capable of discussing the real issues what people are facing.

April 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. James Nelson

"I know it's hard, when your boy Obama got stomped on by Hillary..."

And that's the view from Bizarro-world. Thanks for playing Gotcha Politics 2008!

Now, about those pardons for the members of the Weathermen group, and the magic solutions that this Miracle Committee on Social Security are supposed to come up with...

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. Grandbrother

Brian happily claims in the second post here that "Obama got stomped on by Hillary"...I guess Brian doesn't realize that Hillary's relentless negativity, as well as a debate "moderated" by a former Clinton staffer actually made Hillary look bad. Obama tried to steer the debate back to the issues numerous times in the first 45 minutes, but Hillary couldn't help but keep going negative. But she finally did shut up when she got blind-sided by Obama's accurate observation that her husband's pardoning of terrorists would make her more damaged in a general election than she claims Obama is. Until then, she had seemed to think that she could attack and attack and attack with no consequences. Now she's having to answer for those pardons, while Obama has already weathered the tired old issues that came up last night.

And let's not forget that Hillary's big argument to superdelegates has been that Obama is unelectable – but last night she was forced to answer a question about it in which she said that "yes, yes, yes", Obama can beat McCain in the general election. She killed her last big argument by doing this last night.

If you ask me, I'd say that last night drove some significant nails into Hillary's coffin...

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. caroline

Hard to look at her....also her face is extremly negative.
    I hope that people would give a chance to Obama, he is trying so hard to show that we can change in better and, coming from a very different politicy and culture, (I am European) I understand his message. Nobody has to care about a flag pin or something so superficial, people have to care about something else, like EDUCATION first. Who is high educated can reach all goals of their lives, they can get wonderful jobs with all benefits from the company.... The attack of the Clinton yestarday was extreme, she didn't understand that hurt Obama so badly she hurt herself and the party. Too sad .

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Bitter Young Female

Hillary is lucky that Barack didn't blast her on that imaginary episode from her Bosnia trip!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. Brandon

Just sent him another $50

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  24. jaybee

I donated $150 to the Obama campaign back in February and I want my money back!

April 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. ele

This is for the remark of
    Brian posted @2:51pm et that NO ONE: NEVER EVEN HEAR HIS NAME before last fall! Well if that's the case, why is he ahead? Everyone knows the name of Clinton (smie). Ha! HA!

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |