April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. NY Girl

I think the way Sen. Obama handled that thing called a "debate," very well, which is why his fundraising is up. We new he would be attacked by Hillary, but we did not expect a tag team from George and Charles. I'm really disappointed with the "debate," last night.

As Obama stated eloquently last night, questioning why he does not wear a flag pin on his lapel, distracts voters from the real issues at hand.

Anything Hillary was trying to do, clearly backfired. Which explains the increase in funding Barack's funding.

Obama 2008

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. SF

Just do a google search for 'pardon Puerto Rican terrorists back in 1999' and you will be able to read a lot of interesting articles about dear Hillary.

I think she (they) is more than just a little crooked, but then that is why there were so many lawsuits against the Clintons during their last term.

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. mama4obama

I'll be chipping in as well. We have got your back Obama.

To the future....and beyond.

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Jenn

In light of all the negativity the few who want things to be positive will make any effort that they are able. That means that a lot of people will be donating to Obama, like me. A little over a month ago I was a Hillary supporter, I voted for her in the MO primary. I am ashamed to admit that was based largely on a fondness for Bill's presidency and a feeling that I should somehow be loyal to the first viable female candidate for president. Once I took the time to educate myself on the issues, to really get to know both candidates, I switched my support.

I'm one of those 1.5 million as of this month, and proud of it.

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Al

Last nights debate was an eye opener. My thoughts of Hillary being forced to hold back as not to upset demografics across the country has backfired and allowed obamas surge. I don't think Obama will survive the Republican attack machine. This machine will take the gloves off and hit Obama from angles he has not even dreamed. Hillary simply raized a very few of the many issues that Obama will be comfronted as the presumptual nominee of the Democratic party. He was evasive last night but CNN's Best Political Team on Television was not there to lend him a helping hand. In turn, ABC's political commentators turned point blank to issues and questions voters in Pensylvania have.

April 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Simple thought

that will just be 1.5 million who wasted their money come Nov. , mr obama is unelectable , they have made it quite clear that anyone who has questions about his electibility are not needed or wanted. and his earlier claims that the Clinton supporters would support him but his supporters would not support her dose not hold true. last night's debate proved that he is not qualified, and the ranting and raving by his supporters that ABC was mean and blindsided him is just plain laughable.just what the hell do they think the GOP will do to their
    profit? it's we the independent democrats that will nail the coffin shut
    on the chosen one come Nov. and all the bellyaching wont do any good, i have the satisfaction of knowing that at least one obama supporters vote wont count, because this democrats vote will void it.
    no one should be president without experience, and regardless what anyone believes, mr. obama is not qualified. my opinion, nuff said.

old cogger from Missouri

April 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. Joe From Florida

1.5 million contribution but still ignoring 5.5 million votes in Florida and Michigan. you do the math

April 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. SF

Dear No to Obama...

Do the google search and you will realize Hillary is very accountable for the pardons of the terrorists.

April 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Hayden

Obama and his supporters are pathetic in acting he should not be given tough questions...he isn't a kid...he's grown man.

It is now obviously, Obama is too protected and sheltered.

Congratulations, Obamabots...you all now convinced superdelgates, Obama is a very weak cadidate.

Go Hillary 08

April 17, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. NC4Obama

We always have contest in raising money....see that's the beauty of his thought process....he keeps people engaged.

CNN how about doing a ticker about his Fellowship Program this summer......

Obama08!

April 17, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. Jen

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA.

IF HE GETS THE NOMINATION, I PREFER MCCAIN

April 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Bridget

Democratic National Party has GIVEN the REPUBLICANS a fighting chance to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senator Obama has WON MORE states starting with IOWA!!!!
    Senator Obama raised more campaign funds from VOTERS!!!!

Get a map and LOOK at how many states VOTED for OBAMA (MORE STATES VOTED FOR OBAMA)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE EQUALS THE TRUTH OF THE VOTERS!!!!!!!!!!

SUPERDELEGATES EQUAL LESS VOTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE OUT THE CLINTON EMPIRE AND KEEP YOUR WAGES FOR YOUR FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. caroline

...by the way....I sent to Obama campaign my 10th contribution....and I have never felt so good. I contribute to create a better America without poverty and with a better (not bitter) attitude....

April 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. SCOTT

And after last night's ambush, I made my first $100 donation to Obama's winning campaign. Take that Hillary!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. HEIDI

Brian???? Now is that beating worst than then one Hillary is enduring through this primary season. Worst...just say ouch!!! Because as her supporter I know you are feeling the pain also. You all didn't see it coming.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Stephon

That was not a debate at all. It was very disturbing to see a "National Enquire" type attack on a presidential candidate.

April 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. doris

no matter what said about obama he keep right on going ,that what a winner does, if he get knock down on one knee he balance himself with his hands.I know that God has to be watching over him, most negective talk would make a weak man give up and say the---with this.

April 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. disown

Obama,
    Disown Pastor Wright and Michelle and William Ayers...

Then Hillary will disown someone else's pardons of men who no longer practice hate or violence.

April 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Real people for real man.

Please donate for our chance to bring back dignity to America.

April 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. Kenneth M

It's her husband,stupid,not Hillary…Stop blaming her husband's screw ups on her….I don't blame our present president's screw ups,which are many, on his father.

THIS IS RICH BECAUSE WHEN WRIGHT IS MENTIONED IT IS LEGIT, BUT WHEN BILL IS MENTIONED HILL SUPPORTERS START THIS STUFF. THIS IS FROM BEN FOR HILLARY

April 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. The Truth

Obama's true self is coming out very slowly. I would love to see all you Obama supporters or victims of his rhetoric later this year. if he wins the nomination or not.... he has swept each of his controversies under the blanket of "oh thats the way washington politics works". but none of these things matter. Who has the better policies and issues? it most certainly is not Obama. For the first time Obama bled, because he was questioned by a section of the media that was not Pro-Obama.
    I wish ABC had done this sooner. and I wonder why they did not ask him about Rezko.
    Politics Obama, Politics. You are not running to be the principal of an elementary school. you are running for president, remember that!
    What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

April 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. HEIDI

Cheryl for Hillary is at it again. She wants to change her support she just does not want her "Friends" to know.

Welcome Cheryl for Hillary

April 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Andrew

"I will never vote for Obama"

We dont need your vote...the last time I checked we were winning without you
    We dont mind the scrutiny...we are teflons
    throw the kitchen sink ....just make sure it does'nt fall on your toe
    LOL

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. jfs Memhis, Tn

I'm here to help the Obama Candidacy!! Another $500 off today. Let's end this thing sooner than later !!! Anybody else on donating???

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  25. Roger

"boy" isn't a racist word. It's a fighting word, but it's not a racist word. Don't be so quick to call someone racist just because they insult a black peron.

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |