April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sean

Barack Obama is not accountable for the words of ANY one but his own.

Double standards? Who else is accountable for their "acquantances" words? Who else wears a flag lapel pin? Why is he trashed for defending himself, but others claim it's "just politics"? There are certainly two sets of standards here, and the ABC team last night was using the RepubliClinon copy.

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. enomisa

Obama,

Disown Pastor Wright, Michelle and William Ayers. Preachers of hate, violence and division today.

Then Hillary will disown someone else's pardons of men who no longer preach or practice their doctrines of hate and violence.

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. Kathleen

I was disappointed again. I thought better questions would be asked about the economy, health care, war etc in how are we going to resolve this. Instead we have the same rehash over and over and over. I for one am sick of it. Hillary you need to bow out gracefully before you ruin the Democratic party. My vote is still for Obama who tried to stay above the insults. Go Obama!!

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Whatever!

That counter has been up with the "Elitist" headline BEFORE THE DEBATE.

CNN, how lazy are you're employees?

April 17, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Tom

Funny how it became negative when Clinton started attacking but it wasn't when Obama or his camp and supporters were (and still are) attacking. Just another double standard from the king of double standards. It isn't negative or "gotcha". She didn't force Obama to go to that church, get an award at the government building bomber's house, say what he said in San Francisco or any of the rest. HE and his wife, friends, advisors, camp and supporters are the ones who keep doing and saying things to make people doubt his character which is really what this stuff is all about. He's got a closet full of feces that's overflowing to the point that he can't help stepping in it. And blaming Hillary of course, which is spewing more feces which makes people wonder about his character even more. It's a nasty little circle of crap he's got going on there. But make no mistake- he made it and he continues to do so and it is absolutely important to who we want for President. Clinton or McCain.

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. John, veteran US Army

In the last week I have made two donations. One today after the media circus last night just made me convinced again that Sen. Obama is the right person for our times. Hillary going negative again shows she is out of material.

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Gwendolyn Kelley

She and Bill have not been together this long for nothing they deserve each other and country deserves better. You want to go through another term of all those accusations, because you never heard someone name before she certainly proven herself to be disshonest. Paul Jones you remember what she said and then their is Jennifer Flores who admitted she agreeded. Obama is a gentleman he won't allow his campaign to say it. They will try to win at any cost, why would they put there daughter out there, they knew without a doubt someone would ask her about Monica. Hillary stayed with Bill through that humilation for one reason this campaign so what does that make her.

Gwen

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Ken

I donated!

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. enomisa

More money will still not buy you the election- maybe due to the corruption of the DNC and the biased media it may buy you the nomination.

Never Obama

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. shane

Right-wingers are claiming Obama finally got hit with "hard questions"? lol! ABout what? REV wright? AYers? "Bitter remarks"? IF those are the "hard questions" that one has to be asked before they become President, its no wonder why America elected Bush as President! I was waiting for questions on Iraq, Healthcare, and the ridiculous prices I'M paying at the pump. I also wanted to hear THE HARD question regarding TERRORISM and BIN LADEN!. BUt I do understand why Republicans and Hillary's Campaign bring up nonsense; THEY CANT DEBATE ON THE ISSUES! They cant win a debate on Iraq because they voted for the WAR. Mccain can't win a debate on the economy because Republicans have destroyed it and he offers more of the same. THey cant debate healthcare issues because Mccain and Hillary are in Bed with the insurance industry.
    But not to worry. THe more they try to divert attention from the issues, the more Obama's message of a New kind of politics resonates.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. John

Obama's campaign manager Mr. David Plouffe is now blaming Hillary for negative(100%) campaign in Pennsylvania.We on Hillary's side think otherwise.It is a campaign not a tea party.She has the right tocorrect Obama"s Bitter" debacle.Good you have 1.5mill. on the way.What matters in Hillary's campaign is how the money is spent.Don't forget Ohio and Texas;you had tons of money then and we still beat you at the polls.

April 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Mike

According to Obama, change comes from bottom up, not top down, and he represents change. But he wants to go to the top! Isn't it funny? He should go to the bottom and make change there.

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. John, veteran US Army

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. tony, Mount Vernon, NY

Clinton also sent out an e-mail about last night's debate. I wonder why that doesn't get an entry on the CNN Political Ticker?!

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. AnnaMarie

Dear Jan,

I beg to differ.. when the party at large- Miss Hillary is married to the president who's pardon was in question- Sir Bill.. than yes, she is accountable to any past president.

Especially since she made refference to dear ole Bill half a million times when it was convienent for her to do so. First she tells Bill to go away but then wants to use his record as hers. She surely flips and flops while ducking from sniper fire.

I am making my third contribution to Barack Obama's presidential campaign as soon as I leave the blogs...

YES WE CAN.........

out with the Same Old Washington Politics and in with real change.. forward we go..

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

Who was the "smart one in the room at ABC" that made the case for a former member of the Clinton administration to be the co-moderator for the "so called" debate? Who does Senator Clinton think she is fooling by focusing on the “gotcha politics” and other "surface issues?"

The ABC network and Clinton is obviously "steps behind" on the issues that the American people really care about. The debate was a joke and only reminded me why I don't care to watch network television. But, when I think about it I was never really worried. Why? Because our "Yes We Can" candidate has always had the ability to hold his own.

Obama '08

Tyrone Brown
    37th Legislative Distrtict State Delegate / Obamacrat
    Seattle, WA

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. TEXAN

Hillary + Fox News + McCain Vs. Obama, Independents, Democrats & Some Republicans

Obama Supporters Go and Donate Whatever you can, we the people have to speak out loud and clear!

Clintons keep hurting your party I guess you can go to the Republican base and ask for their help... 🙂 or you can ask McCain for the VP position.

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. Libero

Breaking News (CNN crawl): Little Mikey endorses Obama, even though he usually "hates everything"....Carol Burnett's mop thought to be leaning towards endorsing Obama

April 17, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. If you don't STAND for CHANGE, you will FALL for Clinton!!!

I hope the Hill-Bill-ies have their ark built... the flood of superdelegates is on the horizon!!!

Can you imagine how she is going to curse the "lunch-bucket democracts" for filth when she loses!!! I wish I could be a fly on the wall... I feel sorry for her supporters.

If you don't STAND for CHANGE, you will FALL for Clinton!!!

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. Indy for Obama

I believe Jon Stewart said it a YEAR ago – leave it to the Democrats to rip defeat out of the jaws of victory.

I don't care what kind of plans Hillary has to try to save her campaign, but she had better have BETTER plans for how to get her embittered supporters behind Obama before November or we WILL see 2012 as the end of this "Roman" empire.

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. Retired Navy Veteran

I will donate and ask members of the American Legion Fort Worth Texas Post to donate as well as make phone calls. We need a new form of government.

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. DJ, LA, CA

Yes Clinton's "scorched earth" policy of attacking Obama almost on every single issues was just painful to watch. It almost seemed like she was just going on the offensive because her advisors keep telling her to do so.

Clinton seemed like her scorched earth tactics were reinforcing the already negative perception attached to her campaign. Instead she should have just focused on the issues at hand.

That debate was symbolic of why she is losing. She still appears to be too scripted, not speaking with convinction, and spending too much time being negative attacking Obama every chance she gets.

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Kathy

I'd like to think fair and balanced, but last nights debate was anything but. I could not understand why in the world the camera kept panning to Chelsea Clinton. Who cares about her reaction? We wanted to see the candidates reaction. The debate was more of a roast of Obama than a subtantive view of the issues and Hillary was given free reign in the act of skewering Obama. Shame on ABC, Charles and George for conducting such a shallow debate We are tired of rehashing the "trash talk". It's over, give it up!

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. FoxyRoxie

I'm giving for me and for the the person that said that they are tapped out. That was the worst debate that I have ever seen. I vote on May 5th and thought that I would hear about issues. ***ABC*** I am very disappointed.

OBAMA 08

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. Joseph

There wasn't one substantive question asked in that farce of a debate last night.

Where was the discussion of trade policy, environmental policies, plans to reduce crime, etc. You know, the things that impact each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

Instead we get tabloidesque questions that Clinton seemed to revel in. She will never receive my vote.

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |