April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Robert

Last night's debate has convinced me to double my first contribution to Sen. Obama's campaign - and to keep giving until he's elected in November.

If Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee, I will not contribute a penny to her campaign - or the party.

April 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. HEIDI

I'm expecting $600 from the stimulus package deal from BUSH...and I can't think of a more deserving cause then to donate it to then OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN. So for now I will take it out of SAVINGS and replace it when the check comes in. (For the record, I have been giving bi-weekly as well...and I have not yet max out was getting close)

Any others care to join?

OBAMA for President is the answer

April 17, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. Ivey League

Yes. I agree. Therefore, I gave!

Yes, We Can... hit 1,500,000 donors! This is not the ELITE giving; this is THE PEOPLE giving $10, $20, $25, $50, $100.

April 17, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Chill Out

Brian.....what did you learn of substance last night about Obama, not that substance seems to matter to you? Oh yeah, how he is "friendly" with a 1960's radical. Of course the fact he was 8 years old when this guy was active is of little import to you. The fact that most 60's radicals are now firmly part of "the system" that they railed against is probably of no import to you either. Also the fact that President Clinton pardoned two members of the Weathermen probably surprised you as much as it did Sen. Clinton. Did you see the look on her face when Obama dropped that on her? Kinda makes you wonder why she would even go there given that fact doesn't it? Yes, Obama was clearly annoyed because for some strange reason he thought he was attending a debate by professional newsmen not a tabloid TV event. I understand that desperation makes people do weird things. What is clear is that Sen. Clinton doesn't understand the meaning of "Taking the High Road" and the value that gives you.

April 17, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Mike

If I were the GOP I would have sent gift baskets to Clinton and Obama today…

Attached note “better luck in 2012″ signed John McCain

April 17, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. oliver

It'sfunny, but seeing Hillary and know that she lies so much, it makes you want to donate to just get rid of her.

I don't know anyone who trusts Hillary! - or Bill for that matter.

April 17, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Susan MO

I watched the debates, and wanted to hear Obama talk about the rude remark he made to the people of Pennsylvania. He never really explained it, but skipped around it. There was an article on CNN that he 'made light of it', which is basically laughing in their faces.

This concerns me and it should to fellow Americans. We do not need a president who insults the people of America.

Obama lost our vote a long time ago with being critical.

HILLARY 08 🙂

April 17, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. too bad

Too bad Mitt Romney is not running against Obama.

Two schoolyard boys slugging it out with smug and mocking wit.

I wish Obama would do us a favor and just drop out like Mitt did.

April 17, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. fred

He should already have enough money from all of his lobby and special interest friends.

Check out USA Today and see who is contributing to his campaign!!

Obama is a big liar...wake up people!!

April 17, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. Beth-Michigan

I think this negative campaigning and reporting is insulting to the American People. We don't need a spin off on every word a candidate says, who their pastors are, who their acquaintances have been, the color of their skin, their gender, or what jewelry they were!
    This country is spiralling down the drain.
    We want to know who can stop us from drowning & HOW.
    Stop this gutter journalism. It's not Hollywood gossip we're interested in. It's, the economy, jobs, the housing crisis, the auto industry, dependence on foreign oil, global warming, under-educated children, health care, and so much more!
    Give us credit for having a brain and not being influenced by tabloid journalism.
    Let's see you talk about the issues, Please!

April 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  11. shut up

Buy some flag pins with those millions, Obama

April 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. Joe

In reading these posts from Hillary supporters, they continue to amaze me. She has constantly uses negative tactics against Obama–yet he continues to climb his support. She always wants credit for the "good" things that happened in the Clinton administration of past–even though she played no material roles, and decries the negative aspects (like pardons, NAFTA, etc..) claiming she was always against Bill. Her negative campaign has and continues to hurt her–and righfully so.

Billary supporters need to wake up–her time and chance of winning the nomination are over.

April 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. vonda mayfield

This is a good example of what Mr Obama probably meant when he said "people have anti-pathy for someone not like themselves." In my view this was an accurate statement. "Brian" certainly embodies this quality, as he apparently is not African American and have some problem with "men" not "boys," of other races. Another blatant quality possessed is insecurity, which is displayed by a need to belittle those who make you feel insecure. Keep working on your self-esteem, then perhaps you will not feel so threatened by others, African American or other-wise.

April 17, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. CNN- Please investigate this allegation

Here is something for you to investigate. This was posted on a LA Blog. It says Obama's mother never was on food stamps. Is this true? Here is the post –
    Someone posted this in the LA TImes– Is it true Obama's mama really never received food stamps? Here is the post-
    Here's something to know about Barry & Michelle: They are peddling the story on the campaign trail of how his teenage mother provided for them on food stamps but..[Barack Obama] was born in 1961 but his mother could not get food stamps then because a) she was married and b) they were not available then.Then [Barack Senior] moved to a foreign country. I don't think that we were sending food stamps to foreign nations.When she moved back in 1965, food stamps were not available in Hawaii in 1965. In 1967, she married the second time and moved to Jakarta. Nope, no food stamps then.By the time she moved back once again, he was living with his grandparents who had jobs and food stamps were not being handed out like Halloween candy in those years.Posted by: rockthebleachers | April 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM

April 17, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. Catherine

If you are really "bitter" about washington politics, now is the time to make the donation and make a difference.

Made my 5th donation of 50 dollars to the campaign and I never felt better.

April 17, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. Kimberly in Texas

My money is on the way...
    Yes we can & yes we will!

Obama 2008

April 17, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. derek

Actually, that fundraising goal was set earlier this week apparently, but I would imagine supporters will be flooding Obama with fivers after last night.

Obama wasn't on his toes last night, but the real damage was inflicted on Clinton when she kept chiming-in, hand in hand with the moderators, with scandal byte after scandal byte, and (more devastating than anything) stated (albeit back-against-wall) that Obama could beat McCain ("Yes, yes yes"), effectively erasing the main reason for attacking him.

By doing these two things, she 1) rallied Obama's supporters and their $25 (and some superdelegates and "Judases" from Clinton's own ranks) in a way even he with all his charisma could never do, and 2) stated, in as public a forum as you could get, her one argument to the voters and–more importantly to her campaign–the superdelegates, that her logic of vetting Obama for fears he could not win the election were no longer necessary. Doh!

Somehow I don't logic will stop her or her surrogates from continuing their "strategy". In the mind-bending world that is the Clinton campaign, they will find yet another way–another parallel universe in which to set up the conference table– to justify further "vetting".

April 17, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. accountability

All the money won't buy you the presidency of this great nation.

Stop mocking and ridiculing and jeering your opponents.

Stop looking down on the majority of Americans.

Stop bragging and gloating and swaggering like a baby Bush.

Stop hanging out with people who bitterly cling to a doctrine of hate and violence.

April 17, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Len in Washington

Like a lot of others here. I just donated....AGAIN!

Obama gets queried about no lapel pin but did anybody look at Hillary?
    NO PIN !!!!! Hmmmmm. How do you explain that?

The votes will decide the winner not lapel pins!

Len in Washington

April 17, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. MD

Obama proved that he is the master of deflecting criticism that comes from someone untrustworthy. His questionable character and lack of experience and judgement will haunt the democrats for the next 4 years.

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Tom St. Louis

To those of you complaining about Clinton supporters deciding not to vote for Obama in the general election after he wins the nomination (even I can see it's inevitable):

If I felt that Obama could best represent the United States as president, I would have voted for him in the primary!

The bottom line is that I think this country will be less safe if he is in charge. He is untested and there are too many unknowns about him. We've been down this road before when the Republicans gave us the Shrub. I don't understand why so many people are willing to make the same mistake because Obama can give a great speech.

At least with McCain you know what you are getting...

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Lou

Last nights debate was a farce. This is the second time those hacks at ABC and the ole Clinton team ambushed Obama. I would never give ABC another debate. As far as I'm concerned there is no need for anymore debates. Case closed on #21. The American people deserved better. If the tabloid stuff lasted 20 minutes then fine but it was unbalanced and lasted 50 minutes. Given the fact that Obama was attacked by both moderators and Clinton for the first 40 minutes, I thought he did great. WE THE PEOPLE were cheated out of a substantive debate. It's a good thing that the candidates have had plenty of time to make their respective cases directly to the people of PA. I will increase my fundraising target tonight and donate another $200. This is exactly the way the people need to band together to take on the establishment.

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Vince

Well he is right!!! And I just donated $25!!! GO OBAMA!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Rea T.

I feel the debate last night was just a witch hunt. 55 minutes was used to GANG senator Obama. Yes, GANG Senator Obama. A rose by anyother name is still a rose. This did not have a fragrance, it had a stench.
    The news media has pound and pound the tabloid like messages into our heads and the debate was used to try and put Senator Obama on the spot. No real issues were given the time that should have been given them. Frankly, I feel he did very well explaining himself to the public. You either want to vote for him or you don't. End of store.
    The news commentators I feel were a joke. Kind of reminded me of an old souther lynch pack. 4on 1. Yes, Old Hillary the @#$*?, your choice, took the opportunity to come in on a question, that was originally directed to Senator Obama by one of the news commentators a part of the pack. GANGED 4 on1.
    This is the 21st century, has nothing really changed.
    Shame, Shame, Shame
    Rea T.

I wrote a message ahead of this one, however, it did not seem to go thru.

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Josh M

What a bunch of cry babies!!! Obama is a loser candidate and you will be just wasting your hard earned dollar.

April 17, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |