April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. melikeyhill

i just donated $500 bucks to the obama campaign this afternoon, Goodbye hillary, i wish i could take my vote back!!! i cant so im gonna keep giving to obama!

April 17, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. An Agnostic Democrat

Thanks for the reminder, CNN. I just donated $25! How many times does 25 go into the limit of $2300? That means I get to donate 91 more times!!! Cha-ching for change!

April 17, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. Interesting

So he is trying to do a Romney and buy off the election? Hmmmm.....

April 17, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. SS

I am so excited seeing Senator Obama in his element interacting with leaders around the world. I love it! Even though these are tough times, when I see how much character he has, I'm ready to donate the last bit I have to live on for the week. He's worth it...

April 17, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. akaDoug

I just donated another $200 to the next President of the United States!

Even when he is ganged up on 3 against 1 he is still calm, cool and very presidential! While Hillary was nice enough to admit what we have all known for months: that she is a liar and that Obama can indeed win in November (no thanks to her)!

So sorry that Hillary has to be so bitter and negative, I know that she is desparate but I thought she was better than that!

CNN wWhat about the new polls that show Obama extending his lead and Clinton having negatives comparable to George W Bush...you can't win when 60% of people know you are dishonest!

April 17, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. juanita

How can anyone who actually watched the "debate" last night say it was a good one?????
    i wanted answers to border control, terrorist control, taxes, social security, health care, etc. and the questions were inane.
    How low can we go????

April 17, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. kamenwati

Thank you Hillary Clinton for showing America once again that you are unelectable. Please keep slinging mud. Everytime you do your negative numbers increase exponentially.

April 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. California Girl

Last night's debate showed which candidate has the most experience and obviously it was HILLARY. HILLARY has our vote till the end. However, if she loses the nom, we will all vote for McCain.

We have questions over here re: Obama, "What's his problem with wearing a flag pin?"

April 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Debate?

What debate?

Was Obama present at that debate?

I heard an Adult Clinton teaching the child Obama.

I saw the time-hogging windbag try to convince us that he is right but he stuttered and stammered so much I stopped listening to him.

April 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Jerry in Florida

I guess Senator Obama, his campaign staffers as well as his elected supporters have a way of twisting the truth to their advantage. They have become most proficient at this. Some voters are so gullible that will probably send donations, too! And with the love fest between the national media and Senator Obama, Senator Clinton and Senator McCain definitely have an uphill battle. It's so bad that some of the commentators and other are in essence endorsing Senator Obama right during the news casts. (Of course, this does not apply to Lou Dobbs.) Whatever happened to objectivity in the media?
    Stay tuned!

April 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Justin

ABC News- attacking barack constantly

April 17, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Kira

This should not be aired here. The media is going too far!

April 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. sharon

well, well, well, Obama gets his first tough questions and he's complaining. When Senator Clinton' campaign said anything about how she was treated, you guys reported all the whining. Obama should feel lucky. He was not asked about his remarks about how he was a product of the Selma march. Only problem, he was born four yrs before or how Kennedy's program brought his father here. only problem, he was already here.

CNN crucified Clinton about the Bosnia remarks, but did not utter a word about what really happened. They looked the other way when stories came out that confirmed sniper fire in the hills and her plane and helicopers being protected by apache helicopters.

April 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. wayne

Is the media biased? Can the media be bought? Can the debaters be bought? Are we living in an oppress society? Have you been to a church where your minister raped a child? Did you leave the church? These questions may look stupid to you. This is how I felt when I watched the debate.. This is sick. Once again, the citizens & constituents dont really matter.. If so, the questions should come from us.. This debate was geared to gang up on Obama.. I was sick just watching this debate. It was very concerning. Did you notice the camera focused on all the Clinton supporters? I didnt notice one camera shot on Obama's supporters. A 2 hour debate that focus on character issues. Obama challenged America to rise up and we sadly can't. Are we truly ready for a black President? Obama is not 100% black and he is still facing racial questions because of his skin. People are still making mistakes with his name calling him Osama instead of Obama.. I am very sad.. Clinton supporters cannot talk about the media taking it easy on Obama. They clearly didnt.. George even was influenced by Hannity on FOX news to ask Obama a question. I felt like this was a Republican debate versus Obama. We have a lot of flaws in our society. I tell you what lets make it an even playing field. Create a family tree of all the candidates. The family tree should contain all the names of people they know and their friends to. It should contain al contacts, children, governments, etc. Then let's research all their backgrounds.. While the media and the moderators, meanwhile people are loosing their lives in Iraq, struggling to buy food, people struggling to stay employed, etc.. Questions are fair, but why dive deep. Does it solves anything?

I think the media should rise up and at least push back on your commentators that are on your shows.. I dont wont to hear Deep Breath.. I want to hear a logical answer to this question.. Obama tried to move away to talk about the real issues the citizens face and the Clinton supporters, the moderators, and they dig deep. Obama was dragged into an alley with this debate. If many Americans saw this debate like I did, then this contest will be over. People do not like viewing this nonsense. I tell everyone GROW UP!!! I really believe Pennsylvania citizens will end this primary. Remember Clinton's camp stated she was going to win this state by double digits.. Please dont move the goal post because of the polls!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Tess

Hillary showed her presidential side. While Obama stammered through the questions. It is an Obama tactic to blame his mistakes on someone or something. 'I pushed the wrong button, I didn't understand the question, I wasn't in church that day, It's old school politics’. Well Obama is not being attacked, just being held accountable, finally.

April 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. HEIDI

Mjc April 17th, 2008 3:05 pm ET

I am moved with emotion on this one. I'll give another $25 with you in mind. Didn't have your name. LOL

April 17, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Matt Schmitt

I have never said a prayer for a desired outcome or a particular result, but with this I know it goes much further than the tally marks of an election. I feel the revolution under my skin forming tears in my eyes when I pray for the change that Barack will bring forth. The intangible scars that have served as his greatest teachers have built a unique foundation that have never existed in American politics. A foundation that can be a catalyst for effective foreign policy and an omniscient voice of understanding to bridge this ignorant race gap, an outlet for a public who almost lost its voice, a hope that americans know as our dream to protect, YES WE CAN!

April 17, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. CNN bias

Biased CNN-
    10 posts and counting and none appearing
    What debate?

Was Obama present at the debate?

I saw an adult Hillary Clinton looking presidential and I heard Obama try to hog all the time to keep making things clear... I mean clearer... don't parse my words...

He stuttered and stammered and I lost all interest.

April 17, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Ana in L.A.

This is so ridiculous! Admit it Hillary DID win last nights debate- IF there was something to win. She could be Mother Teresa and there would wtill be head-in-the-sand Obama people bringing her down. She's not perfect by any means- she's screwed up big time but so has Obama. He's just been givin carte-blanche to be deceitful. I wish CNN would be more neutral. I posted a story yesterday that only MSNBC (of all networks!) discussed; having to do with Obama dissing former president Carter, whom if you all recall, openly supported Obama, during a meeting with Jewish leaders yesterday morning. Obama: No talks, Carter was wrong to try to open dialogue w. Hamas, etc... Obama basically said the opposite of what he had been preaching at the beginning of the campaign which was all about openness, dialogue and diplomacy. I guess you do what you have to do to buy votes, right Obama???

Anyway- that post was deleted. Surprise surprise.

Let's be smart people. Not starstruck.

I am a mother and when I think of what I want for my daughter... it's security and peace. Not some fizzled out celebrity inflated politician.
    It is about education, healthcare and economic improvement for me and I think Hillary is the only that can deliver. Obama has laid out a sloid plan for any of this and McCain... well, a vote for him is just more blood on our hands.

Unite.

April 17, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. gary

OBAMA GETS MONEY WHERE EVER HE CAN. DONT LET HIM TRY TO BULL -- YOU.HE IS A DIRTY POLITICIAN JUST LIKE ALL OF THEM. HE TAKES FROM LOBBIEST, BIG OIL COMP. ETC. HE MAKES AMERICAN YOUNG PEOPLE LOOK LIKE FOOLS. HE CAN TELL YOU ALL ANYTHING AND YOU BELIEVE IT. OUR WORLD DONT LIVE IN A FANTASY LAND. TIME YOU ALL WAKE UP TO REALITY.

April 17, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Karen

Last night was a new low for network TV. ABC, shame on you. I'm surprised you didn't work in Britney and Paris along with the rest of the tabloid trivia you chose.

And, Hillary, true leaders don't spend their energy trying to destroy someone. Stop it!

April 17, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. TB, California

McCain/Clinton '08. What a ticket or should we say McClintain.
    They're a joke!

April 17, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  23. Emma in CA

My perception of the debate was that Hillary's nastiness, (I know best what is elitist and how you choose your church) won't change Obama supporters minds, but will consolidate their choice for him. The interrogators and Clinton were beating a dead horse. They were trying to make him bleed!

April 17, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. Sara from Arizona

People without ethics would vote for Clinton. OBAMA 08'

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. questions in PA

Obama looked tired... his answers were not to the point and vague at best ... a lot of questions about both were not answered. I think the debate was good because it caught both off guard and how they answer questions. Hillary came out as a fighter and little over but compared to Obama. Hillary looked more relax and Presidential like she is ready for anything.

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |