April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Chris from San Antonio

Interesting to see Hillary's campaign using Republican tactics and Republican talking points.

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. Kidy

bye bye "abc",

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. MMASH in NC

I donated right after the campaign. Clinton looked petty and spiteful as she kept going back to same old attacks. Obama kept his dignity. And while it might seem like he lost the mud throwing contest, I think Americans want more than that from a President.

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. Mike

Obama folded under pressure in a primary debate... how is he going to do in a general election debate???

All I know from the blogs the Obama supporters have been blaming Clinton for everything... last night all of you should be blaming Obama for his poor performance... ABC was the first to go after Obama and all the questions surrounding him... he tried very hard to spin and not answer direct questions... they did not let him get away with it...

I hope PA, NC, IN, etc... were watching!!!

April 17, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Sign me up for another 200.00 after last night, I will donate 200.00 a month until November. We need to get rid of the same ol garbage in Washington.

Obama 08 & 12

April 17, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. demagogue

Europe learned its lesson in the 1930s and 40s when they fell for the hype of hope peddled by their own charismatic leaders who inspired the young to change.

Those leaders led their Nations to ruin. Some change is pernicious hatred.

We Americans are angry and bitter now, like the Germans and Italians were then... thus leaving us vulnerable to the wrath of Obama.

April 17, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. lisa

The ABC tabloid-style debate questions were terrible and I would love if each network took polls on their "topics" for news, so the American people could voice our detest for "gaffe" issues. I believe the debate questions were so disrespectful to our presidential process, that Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos should be terminated and ABC banned from the General Election Debates. Charlie Gibson kept interrupting Senator Obama from answering during a question and then turned to Senator Clinton and said, " I believe Senator Obama did not answer the question..." The questions for the debate were so unpatriotic and terrible for all those watching, not only the candidates!

April 17, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Bill

That' why i am donating huge for this man again and again.. Good luck Obama you are our hope!!

April 17, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. keith

I use to be such a big hillary fan, now its like im listening to a bitter old lady who hates to lose. Im sending money that i cant afford just so it can help beat her....

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. gary

TAKE THAT BACK .THAUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT O.B. WINNING THE DEBATE. SORRY DANIEL .

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. CJ

First, the funding request you are showing was up on the site before the debate took place. I know because I contributed.
    Secondly, the waste of 50 minutes filled with trite was irresponsible.
    The "debates" failed to deliver the type of real discussion that will inform this country. Next we'll have WWF mud wrestling.
    Clinton has done J.McCain's job for him. Carl Rove would be proud of you, Hillary. Perhaps JMc will offer you the Veep position.
    Thirdly, is this the spoiler position? If I can't win the nomination I'll do everything I can to make sure Obama can't win. 'Course that would mean you could run again in four years. A win/win strategy for Hillary Clinton. A lose/lose position for the American people. Sorry...I forgot what was important there for a moment.... like the future of our country.
    I apologize..let's get back to the important issues-like flag pins..

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Tom

Now I hear that Obama is whining about the "harsh" treatment he received and how they didn't get to the issues. Arrogance followed by angry sarcasm followed by attacks on his counterpart followed by whining. What's next? Is he going to take his self important views of himself as a speechifier and politician and go home??? That would be nice since he's not going to win. If he was a bit more intelligent he would've realized that the first 1/2 was about the issues – Character is an issue, Mr. Obama and yours leaves a lot to be desired.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the pulpit!

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Its True

Wow, this is awesome. CNN is helping drive donations to the Obama camp!

ABC & Clintons so-called winning debate is actually benefitting Obama.

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Roger

Obama is getting frustrated because of Hillary's attacks!?!

He's not going to make it with McCain.

April 17, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. Jot

I will be sending $ 2300 to the clinton's campaign tonight for the good work she did last night, and from now on I will be watching only Brain

April 17, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Debra

I didn't like the debate and I'm a Clinton supporter but he needs to man up! She doesn't wine when attacked daily. Suck it up and move on!

April 17, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Jerome in Michigan

Dear Mr. George Stephanopoulos,

Are you still on the Clinton Payroll?

April 17, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Florida For OBAMA

Just donated!!!
    Yes We can!

April 17, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Ig

Another $100 from me. I'm loving his chances now.

April 17, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Dems Unite

Hillary's attacks on Obama have been despicable, and she has ended up hurting herself a lot more than him. She has run a completely incompetent campaign and can't seem to open her mouth without lying.

That said, either Democrat who wins the primary will get my vote. Everyone, please stop being distracted by media-generated silliness - the bottom line is, if McCain wins, the war in Iraq will go on and on and on. The war would then stop being Bush's fault and it will be the fault of every Democrat who lets pettiness stand in the way of their moral duty to end it.

Dems in 08 & 12

April 17, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. akaDoug

I'm so thankful that my candidate didn't whine or get negative like the junior Senator from New York did!

Maybe if Hillary cried again or maybe if she "fibbed" again or maybe if she said "screw 'em" again she might be in a better place. But right now she is desparate!

I think ABC was auditioning for a new actress on Desparate Housewives...Hilllary with her wide range of emotions would be perfect! No wonder ABC refused to ask her any tough questions and was pandering to her:)

April 17, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. yb

Ok, Ok, I'm sending money for the missing flag pins – there, you happy now? $150 oughta do it.

And, oh yeah, am not responsible for pardons of past presidents or the money he (or ex-chief strategist) makes from groups that propose legislation that I say hurt the small town folks I care about.

April 17, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Susan, TX

This debate was politcially "incorrect", as I said before bought and paid for by Clinton. This was not a debate about the issues that America is facing it was an ambush against Obama. I have already voted but I feel bad for PA people because they were expecting a debate about the issues not the tabloid issues. It was stupid....

April 17, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Fools 4 Hillary

Guess the kitchen sink and the ABC questions arent working. For the 1st time, a new poll is showing Barack ahead in PA. Latest poll numbers for Pennsylvania (all taken in the last 3 days):

PPD: Obama 45 Clinton 42
    Zogby/Newsmax: Obama 44 Clinton 45

Also good news from a recent poll in Indiana:
    Times/Bloomberg: Obama 40 Clinton 35

In NorthCarolina, Obama still has a double digit lead:

INsider Advantage: Obama 51 Clinton 36
    ARG: Obama 52 Clinton 42
    Times/Bloomberg: Obama 47 Clinton 47

SO right now, Barack has a good chance to take PA, Indiana and North Carolina.
    If it holds true for 2 more weeks its game,set, match Obama.

April 17, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Jan

THIS IS TO BRIDGETT

How dare you slam Lou Dobbs because he tells the truth and is not
    bias towards either canidate. It's Ok when Cafferty slobbers all over himself at the mention of Obama, as you see as far as Cafferty is concerned Obama just fell from Heaven.

You Obama people don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot and someone if finally trying to get to the truth.

BRIDGETT...SHAME ON YOU