April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.plouffeemail.cnn.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. TEXAN

Politico is the only Site that places all comments!

What is going on with CNN

R U Clintonians too!

April 17, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. Lisa

Why are these people donating money when he is clearly going to lose? Keep your money folks, we're in a reccession. No need in wasting your money on things you can't afford.

April 17, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. Sara from Arizona

So sick of the Clintons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBAMA 08'

April 17, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. MB

Just dropped another $50 for Barak

April 17, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Jimmy from PA

I'm sending my tax refund to Obama's campaign. What happened last night was a disgrace. We have real issues; such as, the war in Iraq, and the economy, but they spent 90% of the debate discussing irrelevant topics. Shame of you ABC.

April 17, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Fools 4 Hillary

oops, made a mistake....the Times/Bloomberg poll for NC is 47-34 Obama not 47/47. Sorry, didnt mean to give you Hillary supporters false hope.

April 17, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. fred

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama often boasts he is "the only candidate who isn't taking a dime from Washington lobbyists," yet his fundraising team includes 38 members of law firms that were paid $138 million last year to lobby the federal government, records show.
    Those lawyers, including 10 former federal lobbyists, have pledged to raise at least $3.5 million for the Illinois senator's presidential race. Employees of their firms have given Obama's campaign $2.26 million, a USA TODAY analysis of campaign finance data shows.

USAToday

April 17, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Melissa

As he well should have. Hillary turned to full blown hatchet job politics. Lucky stroke for her that one of the moderators used to belong to her husband's administration.

April 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Ratgurl

If I donate a 3rd time does it count as 3 donations? Here I go!

April 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. Kari

Got the email. Donated for the 4th time. Each time Hillary plays nasty politics, I donate $25 – $50!

In the words of Hillary herself - 'It Takes A Village.'

April 17, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. Glenn Doty, Columbia, SC

Well, he's gotten more than 2000 new donors in the last hour and 20 minutes...

That's 1500 new donors every hour, or 25 new donors a minute.

Not bad. 🙂

We need only 100 hours of this rate in order to make the goal.

While it is doubtful that we'll sustain that for then next 20 days, it seems like the goal is quite achievable.

Yes, yes, yes... we really can.
    🙂

April 17, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. Dennis Dayton

Until now Obama has memorized the answers to all the issues and talked his way out of any confrontations on them. Last night the commentators raised questions thaat required knowledge and thinking and all Obama did was stutter and contradict himself. This showed everybody what happens when someone without experience tries to deal with national issues. Clearly Obama is not near ready for the president job and needs much more time to gain experience and knowledge.

April 17, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  13. Scott

Have to say the ABC debate was a MESS, Her face is extremly negative. what about discussing the real issues what people are facing. Sad how Hillary used her friend George Stephanopoulos to attack Obama, he work for them as well what a MESS, games games.

I will ve sending money! AGAIN

Obama...2009

April 17, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  14. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

I must admit, he is a likable candidate. I might switch sides. My family and In-laws voted for him and gave him money. I instead donated money to Guiliani and when that didnt work out, I started to vote for Hillary. Now it seems I may have to jump ship one more time and get behind Obama. Everyone else is doing it.

I'm so confused.

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. PDT

Hillary is done! Realize that and move on the beating McCain in the general election.

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. delbert Fitzgerald

I'm so confused.

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. TJ IN LA

I was actually going to get new tires for my car. BUT THEY CAN WAIT! iT'S ALL ABOUT $$$$$$ TO THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN!

Barack Obama for President!
    Because Evil, Slimy, Gutter Politics (Hillary) is no one's Friend!

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Michael in CA

Laughable! This is the second debate by ABCNews and in both debates Sen. Obama's toes were held to the flame. I guess the truth hurts. Also, interesting that Obama does not want to get into politics as usual, the name calling and veering off topics. So why did he bring up President Clinton's pardons?

Oh Obama you are smoke and mirrors and I have said that from day 1. Poor Obama, but what happened when all the other debates nailed Clinton? Oh and Obama supporters how can you say it wasn't fair when his wanting to raise the on the capital gains tax has proven NOT to be a way of gaining more revenue? Hum, well there was a policy issue if I ever saw one and one in which he didn't seem to know his subject....

April 17, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Inês F

Well... some people are saying that Clinton walked all over Obama. I find it a bit hard to believe from past history. Still, from the one excerpt I heard, Obama came out the better.

When she said that she would have denounced (or rejected or something) the Church if her reverend made the sort of comments Wright did after 9/11, Obama remarked that a Church goes beyond a pastor. Sounds very Christian to me (apart from being so very true). After all, Clinton still calls herself a Catholic even after all the scandals over child mollesting from some Catholic priests...

April 17, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. dallas069

It' amazing to me that Sen. Clinton would engage in the check-out stand tabloid style antic's being promulgated by talk radio. I guess they will next accuse Sen. Obama of being friendly with Big Foot.

April 17, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  21. paulie_nj

I just realized why so many Obama supporters are surfacing.... He serves Kool Aid laced with brainwashing drugs just before his campaigns begin.

April 17, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  22. Justo - Vancouver

Obama, I got yo back dawg. Count on my $5, I'd have given you more if I wasn't broke. This is what I can afford for now....Love you man and I know ya going to beat all four candidates – Uncle Bill whom I love and admire, Hillary whom I only know as a lier, Chelsea who is doing what's expected of her, and McCain who is actually cute!! – I love him too but I believe ya can do a better job than him. I actually dont mind either you or McCain winning cuz you are my favourites anyway! BUT NOT HILLARY!!!!

April 17, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. Grif

They will all be asking for their money back, after they've read you're Book!!!

April 17, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. Elizabeth

Shame on you ABC. It was three against one and Barack is still standing. Where were the questions about Mark Penn and NAFTA. There is nothing she wouldn't do to get the nomination.

******Super-Delegates****** You can vote now for Barack Obama. You don't owe Hillary anything. Hillary and Bill don't own you. They just think they do. We must have the one that people trust.

Please put an end to this. We must have someone that is honest and that can take control of the government.

I'm a Republican and proud to say that I support Barack Obama. Now I'm making another donation to his campaign.

God Bless the USA.
    TEXAS

April 17, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  25. Erdy

A DEMON CARISMA IT WHAT HYPNOTIZE US TO VOTE FOR HIM, BEWARE OF DEMON ATTRACTING PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR HIM, ALIAS OBAMA.

HIS CARISMA COMES FROM THE EVIL ONE THATS WHY IT WORK FOR A MOMENT BUT WOULD NOT LAST FOR LONG.

WE WILL BE SAVE RELISE FROM HIS BONDAGE. SO PRAY HARD NOT TO BE HYPNOTIZE FROM THIS EVIL CANDIDATE, WHO LOOKS LIKE AS IF HE IS AN ANGEL BUT THE TRUTH IS, HE IS THE TRUE SATAN.

VOTE FOR HILLARY AND BE SAVE FROM THE BAD SPIRIT THAT OBAMA IS TRANSMITING TO US.

April 17, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |