April 17th, 2008

White House hopefuls meet with British PM

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain are all scheduled to meet with British prime minister Gordon Brown Thursday morning. The three will have 45-minute, one-on-one sessions with Brown at the British Embassy in Washington, D.C.

1. SP Ward

As a Brit I wish we had a sociaist candidate of the stature of your Dem candidate Barack Obama, whohopefully will be nominated soonand eventually become President. Brown wasnt even elected into office as PM. He succeeded without a mandate from the people into the premiership. A position Tony Blair was forced to stand down from due to the public disgust with his positions on WMDs and Iraq. Now we have the most unpopular PM ever desperately trying to win some approval ratings by rubbing up to potential Presidents in a desperate hope to make himself look more statesmanlike. If the debate last night proves anything it is that we should deal with issues not pr stunts. The media should lend ahand!

April 17, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. Glenda

The debate last night was a farce. Give me a break. Don’t blame Obama or Clinton for not covering the issues more comprehensively.
    The moderators are the culprits here. They are the ones that brought up the Obama statements, Clinton’s ‘misstatements’ on Bosnia, Rev. Walker, etc.
    Neither Obama nor Clinton was given any real opportunity to really get their teeth into the actual issues.
    Due to the total ineptitude and complete lack of direction and inability of these two dreadful moderators to pose questions that focused on real national concerns we were left with nothing.
    Who selected these guys?

April 17, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. JC

I hope Brown can tell us which one he likes the best.

April 17, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. alvin

that's pretty !!! he will have a chance to see The american dream !!! we want change and we love Obama !!!

Obama 2008

April 17, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  5. Michael Lorton, Virginia

I can see the dialog.........and when I win the Presidency; and when I win the Presidency.......note their is only "two" and when I win the Presidency.....one of the candidates has failed to accept the fact that she will not be the Democratic nonimee.

April 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  6. David Ferdinand, Brooklyn New York

Charles Gibson Sucks!!!

April 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  7. Kenneth M

Chuck, is someone paying you to say this? Obama was Regal last night. He alluded to topics he could talk to if he wanted to get in the mud, but did not. Instead he showed the moderators and Hillary along with the rest of the country that sticking to the topics was the most important thing to the voters. Its like you are trying to put him down for not putting her down. We have seen that to do so only splashes back on the mud slinger. What does he have to say “I’m rubber your glue, what ever you say to me bounce off and ticks back to you?” Just take this debate. Designed to take him down but made ABC look silly.

April 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  8. Brad Ward

Well to be honest, I didn't get a chance to see the debate but I really don't care anymore. These people do not represent me. In fact, I'm convinced that they will not represent any of us except for those that are considered "special interest". The same is true for the Republicans. I've been a conservative for all of my life and and I can tell you from experience that both parties are not representing "we the people". That's why we have false choices for President. On one hand we have the socialists, Obama and Hiliary, and on the other hand we have the fascist, McCain. These people will only represent the "special interest" at the expense of "we the people". That's why we've seen all of this turmoil in the last 7+ years including this nonsensical war on terror.

"We the people" need to take our country back from the "special interest". There is no greater "special interest" than that of the people. It's time for a revolution. Of course, I advocate a non-violent revolution but nontheless we need a revolution to save the USA for our children. I want my children to grow up in a country that it is free, healthy, and allows them to compete in a free enterprise. We are quickly losing our country to forces that will ultimately, in my opinion, destroy it. Obama often says "Change you can believe in". So you're saying that you are going to change a nation that is certainly the most powerful nation on earth in terms of prosperity and security. That makes a lot of sense. Well, I have a slogan for you Obama and you're lackeys: "I have not yet begun to fight!" - John Paul Jones

I don't want you to change my great country. I want my country to return to the things that have made it great for so many years now: freedom and free enterprise. I don't need a changer to represent me, I need a challenger to defend against the forces of evil that I think are ruining my country. If you can't handle that task, then I don't need you to represent me.

April 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Kaseam Ali, Philly, PA

There should only be 2 meetings: 1 with Obama, and the other with McSame. These are the 2 candidates representing their respective parties for President. Hillary is a 3rd wheel, and insignificant because she has no chance of winning.

April 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. frank

Why is such a prominence given to the British Prime Minister? We deserve an explanation!

April 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. Ojima Robinson

why do we need any more talk, please end this waste of time

April 17, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. Susan MO

We are sure he will not be impressed with Obama. Obama answers, but skips around with what he is saying...........avoiding what he should say.

It is most likely people around the world heard about his rude remarks to the people of Pennsylvania.

April 17, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Maggie VT

HMMMM!!! I was just reading the HUFFINGTON POST. There is an article about HILLARY CLINTON AND "SCREW EM" comment she made back in 1995. I heard about it this morning on MSNBC when they were asking HAROLD WOLFSON about it. He said it was "ABSOLUTELY FALSE." Wonder whick one is telling the truth??? Think I can guess!!!!!

The public polls say "OBAMA 78 – CLINTON 22" in winning the debate last night.

GO OBAMA GO

April 17, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. J. Marlow

. . Senator Barack Obama should never lower himself to a "debate" with
    Hillary Clinton again.

April 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. T

Please stop Romney as he wants to destroy social security.

April 17, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. Bratt

I am curious to see how HC will explain her LIE about British PM skipping the opening ceremony in China.. It turns out he had NEVER intended to go there for the opening, only for the closing ceremony..

April 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Mike

No matter what story it is... Obama supporters go out of their way to bash Clinton... I really fear for our country if this kind of stuff continues to go on... CNN really needs to quit posting all of these negative blogs!!!

The point of the story is one of these three is going to be working with the PM... they all should meet with him.

April 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. fedupvoter

I hope Hillary doesn't start talking bad about of Obama. She seems to do that everytime and everywhere.

April 17, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. Mike

Kaseam,

Senator Clinton is doing quiet well Thank You, you will have egg on your face next Tuesday when she wins your state by a landslide!

I like, respect and support Senator Clinton.

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!

Obama supporters are fools to think that Senator Clinton still can't pull this off, simply fools!!

Don't ever underestimate a Clinton.

April 17, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  20. Marjon

What is Hillary going to meet with Gordon Brown for??? Is she going to tell him her sniper story??

April 17, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. Kevin, MN

thanks for the speech Brad Ward, truely a wasted 45 sec i wish i had back...... how does it relate to the British PM?

April 17, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. len

This is another occasion Hillary can tally up as evidence of her vast international experience.

April 17, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Martin

What I want to see, is a democrat in the white house next year and I believe Hillary will make it happen.

April 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. Ross from Texas

I guess this is more like a traditional thing, where the prime minister of our closest allies (the brits) sizes up the candidates. When the leader of another country checks you out, it's not something you take lightly. Come on, CNN, if you're only going to report 2 sentences, why bother?

April 17, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  25. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Kathleen ..retired gumbaw...

When you pull your head out of the sand–give us a call.

You are clearly a retired "GOVERNMENT" professional....because anybody who has and will depend on free enterprize to provide their salaries and retirement benefits would no better than vote for a socialist.

April 17, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |