April 17th, 2008

White House hopefuls meet with Brown

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/17/art.gordonbrown.jpg caption="British Prime Minister Gordon Brown arrives at Andrews Air Force Base Wednesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The three White House hopefuls each sat down for a one-on-one meeting with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Thursday.

Brown, who is on his second trip to the United States since replacing Tony Blair last June, held private 45-minute sessions with each of the candidates at the British Embassy in Washington.

Sen. Hillary Clinton and the British leader discussed a wide range of issues, including the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and global warming, according to Senate aides.

Sen. Barack Obama, the only candidate meeting with Brown for the first time, had planned to discuss the United States' relationship with the United Kingdom as well as his plans to reenergize the Trans-Atlantic alliance, according to his campaign.

Brown and Sen. John McCain, who most recently met last month in London, were heard talking about the presidential election as they walked together for their photo op, with McCain saying that the drawn-out process sometimes made one wish for the quicker British system.

Brown laughed, saying their systems has its ups and downs.

Following his meeting with the candidates, Brown was scheduled to meet with President Bush to talk about the global economy.

1. enomisa

Thanks ABC for hosting the first relevant debate framed against the constitution itself.

The voters appreciate your sticking to the political nad economic issues and holding BOTH candidates accountable for their positions.

Up to now it has been American Idol with the Cable networks and their Obama worship

April 17, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Tea Party

I'm glad they're talking about man-made global climate change. When they're done, maybe they can get started on other pseudoscientific concerns like man-made global gravity change or man-made universal planetary-rotation change.

April 17, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

HE IS A SMART MAN HE KNOWS WHO THE BEST CANDIDATE IS!!!!!!!!!

HILLARY PERFORMED GREAT LAST NIGHT!!!!!!

OBAMA FUMBLED AS USUAL!!!!!

IT IS HIGH TIME HE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS LIFE AND DEALINGS!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT ALL THERE IS! THERE IS MORE!!!!!

HILLARY WILL PREVAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. AZM

I wonder if BHO found him to be a typical white bitter English guy?

April 17, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. Elisabeth

"Hamas officials said the two had been invited to Cairo at the request of Carter, who is currently on a tour of the Middle East. Carter is scheduled to meet later this week in Damascus with Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal". Jimmy Carter has said he would endorse Obama? Ask British Prime Minister Gordon Brown for his opinion about Jimmy Carters actions.

April 17, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

HILLARY LEADS IN THE POLLS!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO HILLARY!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. enomisa

I am close to Obama's age and I was born in Italy. I lived there until I came to the USA at age 6.

According to Obama-speak and twisted logic, that gives me a window into better understanding the international community.

According to Obama that makes me MORE qualified than all 3 candidates in foreign policy experience (since I lived abroad for 3 more years than Obama himself).

The world now is not the same as the world of 35-45 years ago. And Indonesia (just like Italy) isn't the world.

Does Obama actually believe his own nonsense?

Shame on the media for going along with this ridiculous drivel and hype.

April 17, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Tony..Ohio

Hopefully, he talked Hillary into hanging it up..

April 17, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. enomisa

Penn... the land of Amish and Quakers.... whose religion of peace is a far cry from the religious hatred that Obama was exposed to with his Rev. Wright for 20 years.

April 17, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  10. DEE JAY in MIMIA

Why is he Important ?

I really dont know why

April 17, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. just a thought

clinton did awesome last night and i am sure at this point the REP are hoping the nominee is Obama. He is great at speeches but not very good under pressure and what they have coming at him in the general will make what Clinton threw at him seem like a cake walk...CLINTON SHINED

April 17, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. Time is now

Is no one concerned about Barak Obama's middle east policy.

He gaffed on Pakistan and now he won't commit to treating an attack on Israel as an attack on the US.

Hillary 08
    real plans for real problems
    Help wanted/ experience required

April 17, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. ***AMERICAN***

IS this a little premature? I don't remember Mr. Brown meeting with Other World leaders before he was elected. So why does he have to approve our candidates?

Just wondering.

April 17, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. R Tomlin

Gordon Brown should stay home and sort out the mess his Socialist Labor party have made of the UK. His timing of the visit speaks volumes for his incompetence and lack of empathy.
    On the other hand, maybe he was here to give Obama some tips on how to ruin the USA if he gets elected!

April 17, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. Marc, Tacoma Wash

I am bitter. The economy is at it's worst and Hillary can't even fix her own campaign. She is now in debt. This is the person who will save our economy. Gordon Brown should have told Hillary to fix her own problems. She is a sad case and should just drop out.

Obama 08

April 17, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. carmen

II hear Prime Minister Brown is recommending Hillary for the Order of the British Empire for her single-handed, heroic and epic accomplishement of the Irish Peace Treaty?

April 17, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. lived in Europe

I lived in Europe until I was 7 years old. So I have lived in the US now for over 40 years- just like Obama.

I guess, since I lived outside the US and since the international community is generally better informed on foreign affairs, like Obama, that gives me a better understanding of how other countries view America.

And qualifies me in foreign policy.

Is he- and the media- for real?

I will say this though... My family lived through the European (Italy and Germany) infatuation with Charismatic leaders who inspired the youth of the country with their hype of hope.

Ultimately those demagogues led THEIR bitter and angry nations to ruin. My family and us (their children) DO remember the lesson learned in that mistake.

NO OBAMA.

April 17, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. Marc, Tacoma Wash

This security blanket that Hillary is talking about, is she out of her mind! Obama said it right. We will take the right action. Not we will attack under this big umbrella she is talking about. What a sad case she is.

April 17, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. Hillary or McCain - There IS no other choice

I'm sure Obama stumbled and bumbled his way through this also. The only thing he's good at is stupifying speecifying, excuses, and whining.

April 17, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. Bayou Joe

Yes, Virginia, we are concerned about Obama's lack of experience in foreign policy and his stance towards, Israel and Pakistan. Apparently he doesn't subscribe to the concept that this is a Judeo-Christian Nation and that we support Israel, not only by treaty, but also by Biblical principles.

April 17, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. Hillary or McCain - There IS no other choice

I'm sure Obama stumbled and bumbled his way through this also. The only thing he's good at is stupifying speechifying, excuses, and whining.

April 17, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Hillary won

ABCs debate was the most specific, relevant and fair one.

Under those circumstances- with no Obama panderings- Hillary excelled and Obama tanked.

He hedges ALL his positions.

No to Obama.

Hillary is the BEST candidate and will make a great president.

April 17, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Go Blighty Go!

Another "dead duck" using our election to pull himself out of the fire. Brown's approval rating is in the tank, but the British have a way out. One "No Confidence" vote and Gordon's packing. Sometimes, I wish we had that option

April 17, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. julie

I wonder if Prime minister Brown will congratulate Obama on his endorsement from Ahmed Yousef, chief political advisor to HAMAS ! They like Obamas vision to change AMERICA. scary man that Obama!

April 17, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Charlotte

I'm sorry, I can't resist, I was never so glad to read all the blogs from the Obama-bots who thought their guy was mistreated by the press in the debate. Now you know how we felt for the previous 20 debates. The one time he gets grilled and they are so distraught. You just got to love it. LMAO

April 17, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |