April 28th, 2008

Clinton, Obama dead even, poll says

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/28/art.dempoll.ap.jpg caption=" Clinton and Obama are tied nationally and in Indiana."]
(CNN) - Hillary Clinton's Pennsylvania win last Tuesday has clearly given the New York senator a boost in the national polls, the latest daily tracking survey from Gallup suggests.

Clinton and Obama are now dead even at 47 percent among likely Democrats, according the newly released numbers. That number remains unchanged from a tracking poll released Saturday and represents a 5-point gain for Clinton since her Pennsylvania win.

In a similar tracking poll released the day of the primary, Obama led Clinton by eight points, 50-42 percent. The Illinois senator's lead over Clinton reached a high of 11 points on April 14.

Meanwhile, a Newsweek poll released Saturday also shows gains for Clinton, but finds the New York senator continuing to trail Obama. In that poll, Obama holds a 7 point lead over Clinton. That margin is more than half of the 19 point lead Obama held in a similar Newsweek poll taken shorlty before the Pennsylvania primary.

Recent polls also show the two candidates locked in a dead heat in the crucial state of Indiana, which votes May 6. In a CNN "poll of polls" released Friday, Clinton and Obama both register 45 percent support from likely Democrats in the Hoosier state.

Since Obama is favored to win North Carolina - the other major prize May 6 - some Clinton advisers have said the New York senator must score a victory in Indiana remain a viable candidate.

1. Jenna, NY

Clintons with their develish tricks working overtime!

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. Karen From Virginia

There is a nice video – Obama behnd the scenes that may be on MSNBC. His entire platform and support , and speech writer are young energetic people who happen to be white. These young people are refreshing and have motivated me to take a look. I supported Edwards before being approached by an Obama supporter – and then I went to here him talk.

I am hooked.

This is the first time in my 50 plus years that I have been interested in an election since Bill Clinton ran against Bush and now:

– I do not care for Bill, though voting for him twice
    – I am very disappointed in the clear attacks on Obama
    – I am finally proud of America – and hopeful for a better America, spearheaded by these young Obama supporters.

Saying I am finally proud of America doesn't mean I don't have alligence for America. I love America – I just have not been proud of how we have conducted our internal and external business.

My being AA, educated, well traveled, does influence these comments.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. trellskig

You people need to get with the program "if Obama is the nominee I am voting for McCain and vice versa"...that is so stupid if you are a democrat. Democrats need to unite!

When you get older and need care from your children they will shun you for letting them live a life of agony and dispare from voting for McCain and he wins.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Sam of Carolina

I couldn't understand why Obama would lose in the polls with the press being so fair to him....

No one but Hillary wants to see another debate of the same issues that they really dont' disagree on...21 is enough!

Obama is not afraid or whiney... he just wants to stop wasting time.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. bostonboy

Hillary will not win in the end.
    Bill & Hillary only care about thier blind ambition. The hell with the rest of the democratic party.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Debby

I hope she takes Indiana and CNN keeps playing Rev. Wrights hate speech's. LOL

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. ELM

PLEASE read ‘Hillary Strangelove’ article in Boston Globe on Sunday.

It talks about Hillary’s statement on April 21st, when she said she’d nuke Iran if Iran attacked Israel.

Evidently, her irresponsible threat made headlines all over the world but it has been ignored by the US TV networks.

Are Rev. Wright's statements more important to America than Hillary's?

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  8. MC, Maryland

I am with Obama till the end, whatever the "end" might be. I think he would be good for the American people. Unfotunately the Mainstream Media (MSM) somehow feels covering Rev. Wright is more important than covering Obama talking to the people of Indiana and NC.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  9. rickG

Clinton's the one with ideas and solutions. Obama is clueless. It took five years for people in this country to wake up to what GW was doing and I cannot understand what people see in Obama. If he's elected we get what we deserve.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  10. just joe

T;here is something refreshing about Senator Clinton's proposals for additional debates with only she and Obama sharing the stage.....no interrupting moderators.....just the two of them and tv cameras. Her suggestions for dividing the number of questions between them is also right on. Obama's answer that he would rather talk to the voters is THE ACTUAL REASON WHY WE NEED THE TWO OF THEM IN A ROOM WITHOUT VOTERS AROUND. Do you want Obama's views on issues impacting this country and all of us? "Go to the Obama website," we are told. The Obama campaign team is way off base if they think I would be satisfied with that....rather than hearing it directly from him........kind of late to be trying to be putting flesh on the old horse called "Change." If you are at all interested in campaigning, Senator Obama, and interested in the voters, I suggest that it is time you stood up like a man....and debated this woman.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. Sue

The media is driving this presidential campaign. They are giving way too much airtime to Rev. Wright. They are giving way too little airtime to the gaffs by Bill Clinton. They want to call the shots. I give up.

April 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Joao

Delegates win the nomination, not polls.

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. john

Hilary will lose indiana

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. Too

The pollsters can poll all they want but the maths are what there are; Obama (at the very least) will be the democratic Nominee, period. Hillary has run out of playing field this time around should try again in 8 years!

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Maggie

There were more than 1.5 mil people voted in FL, to say that because of a date issue those voters are not important that is very wrong. And if the democratic party does not find a way to make this process fair to those voters they are going to lose FL in the general election. I for one a Floridian if my vote does not count in the primary, they will have to win the general election with out my vote. I will not vote for either Obama or Clinton. I will even go as far as to vote for Mccain just to teach the democratic party a lesson.

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  16. Renee

I hope that Obama win

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  17. M Johnson

This has always been a contest of facing the truth versus going with the convenient fantasies of typical American politics. Do we want to live in a continually corrupt, decaying make-believe world of petty distractions and self-indulgent, vindictive game playing or take on the real world of problems that need urgent attention? It's time to grow up and elect a mature, rational leader for the future. That's Mr. Obama.

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  18. Jenn

they would n't let this go through in the drop out blog so I am posting it in this one
    Jake
    s.b, Florida and Michigan are NOT going to be seated, end of discussion. They broke the rules that were agreed to and only one candidate campaigned there. For those states to be counted would be grossly unjust and everyone knows that and that's why it's only an issue to Clinton supporters who want to subvert the popular vote. Dean is doing his best to tame an increasingly venomous nomination process. Maybe you could help by not critiquing him on an arbitrary issue like Michigan and Florida.

So in your opinion it's ok for The DNC to not follow the rules but everybody else has to follow your interpretation of the rules.
    In the agreement that was put in place when Michigan and Florida moved up there primaries it called for a re-vote. That was put in place incase what we have happening happened. The one breaking the rules is Obama who hired lawyers to block any form of a re-vote.

All the states need to be heard and if Obama gets the nomination with out MI and Fl the whole demicratic process is a farse

By the way it was Obama who campainged he ran an ad in FL

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  19. michael

"A change is coming", Quote by Rev. Wright
    "Change in America" Rev. Wright
    "Yes we can". quoted by Rev. Wright
    Sound familiar, I wonder who stole this out of Rev. Wrights playbook.
    Take away the teleprompter and the smooth speeches and what do you have? Reverend Wright's black liberation philosophies. In Rev. Wright's speech last night, he was very condescending towards whites and even knocked us for our european education system. If he doen't like it, move to Liberia, they have that system and it doesn't seem to be working for them.
    My question is what change, to set this country back a couple hundred years. No we need a candidate with smart choices and who satnds to make this country better. Bill Clinton did it in the 90's and I'm sure Hillary can do it now.

April 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  20. DS in CA

Really not a big deal. Obama has gone from 10 points up to tied, back to 10 points up numerous times since February. People's moods change with the wind based on what they're hearing from the media at the time. After Obama wins Indiana, there will be a major push for Hillary to drop out, at which points Obama will go back up by double digits. It's how politics works...

Obama 08

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  21. DoneWithDems

Perfect!!

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  22. Krissy, FL

I have reached the point where it matters not to me if Obama wins or not; of course I want him to win...but almost more than that, I want Hillary to lose. I am black in America, so long suffering comes with the territory, despite what Geraldine Ferraro says. I will spite my face, by cutting off my nose if Clinton wins the primary. And, I will fight against her and instead prefer to remain divided. Besides, isn't that what blue-collar, un/der-educated, catholic voters want. Well get ready, you might be getting exactly what you asked for. Greetings and Adieu!

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  23. Canadian and World Traveller

Are you Americans that segregated from the rest of the world as your reputation around the world preceeds you??

I think its funny watching American news and how it scares all you people, spinning stories in favour of one person over another.

We Canadians cant help but laugh, especially when all over the news stations around the world everyone sees Hillary in a negative light, she is a BAD person! Its too bad you people arent presented with the real facts. But dont worry everyone will find out the truth about her plans for "change" by the end of her 4 years if she is elected. And I will laugh at all of you while the rest of the world continues to badmouth you for making the wrong decision. Bill Clinton for 4 more years, enjoy it, dont do anything differently America, Fall into the same group for leadership over and over again, HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  24. NewLightOnthe'Clintons'

I was once a fan of the Clintons, but this campaign has really shed
    light on the REAL CLINTONS.. Use you to get what they want. One more thing: Obama outspent Clinton? IF CLINTON WERE NOT IN DEBT SHE WOULD BE OUTSPENDING OBAMA, THE THING IS SHE OUTSPENT HIM FROM THE START OF THE CAMPAIGN. GIVE ME A BREAK.. Hillary, go away before you lose the respect of all the American People who once stood behind the Clinton name. Don't be such a Nasty politician. Play fair.

Lord please deliver us from Evil...
    Go Obama

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  25. Billy J Austin,TX

If she doesn't make up anymore war stories to toughen her image, and rev Wright can stay out of the media with his 'old school' racial commentary (he is a little out of touch with the year 2008), we still have a chance to win the white house. And the best chance would include Hillary on top with Barack as VP. 8 years later Barack and (insert junior statesman here)

April 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |