April 28th, 2008

Indiana voter ID law ruled constitutional

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Supreme Court on Monday backed Indiana's law requiring voters to show photo identification, despite concerns thousands of elderly, poor, and minority voters could be locked out of their right to cast ballots.

The 6-3 vote allows Indiana to require the identification when it holds its statewide primary next month.

At issue is whether state laws designed to stem voter fraud end up disenfranchising large groups of Americans who might lack proper documents to prove they are eligible to vote.

The justices wrestled with a balancing test of sorts to ensure both state and individual voter interests were addressed, in what has become a highly partisan legal and political fight.

Filed under: Indiana
  1. Brian

Score one for democracy

April 28, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. Terry in NC

good for indiana and the US!!

April 28, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Susan / PA

OK..on a voting registration you need to state either your licsens # or the last 4 digits of your social security number....
    A picture ID is not required

but if that is Indiana's law

folks in Indiana....get a photo ID at walmart

there is still time

April 28, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Obama? No!

This is because there were so many fraud before in caucus that Obama won. He cheated on every American people!

Shame on Obama!

April 28, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

I have no problems with the the laws requiring a photo id to vote but allowances need to be built in to protet the rights of poor or low income individuals and college students. Most college ids do not list an actual address and the students drivers license may be from out of state. States requiring thses ids need to have a low or no cost voter photo id.

April 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Zach B

Ah, yes another thing that is ruled contitutional, even though it isn't. I hope everyone appreciates the fact that democrats will lose votes now. Remember everyone, we do not live in the golden city. There are poor people, elderly people who can't get around, legal immigrants who don't know they need to get a voter ID. I guess all men (women) are created equal (as long as they have the money for an ID card to vote for people who may not vote to make people buy IDs). I love hearing our founding fathers' graves being stompped upon.

April 28, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Mike H.

I live in Virginia and we have to show a picture ID to vote. It's never been a problem and it helps prevent fraud.

April 28, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. max843

Six business days before the primary – how can all those folks get a photo ID in time?

Yes, it's a good idea – but in 47 years of voting in Baltimore and upstate NY, I have rarely had to do anything but give my name and address verbally – often pointing them out myself on the the list of voters.

As noted above, being out-of-state in college I never had a photo ID. And 10 years ago my elderly blind mother never did either, until I insisted.

This time frame is ridiculous.

April 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. GoHillary

Why not ID, you need a photo id to open a bank account, get a drivers license, cash a check so why not vote!

April 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. Missouri Voter

The story is incomplete – it does not address when the ID requirement became law, how it was presented to Indiana voters and who filed the suit.

April 28, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. TJ

If you don't already have a state issued ID, too bad, so sad. Your fault for not being prepared if you intend to vote. Cheers to the court for agreeing that photo ID is 100% necessary.

April 28, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. Comment is Awaiting Moderation

WHY ARE MY COMMENTS ALWAYS IN MODERATION AND THEN DELETED. I HAVE COME TO CALLING MYSELF "COMMENT IS AWAITING MODERATION"

WHAT KIND OF A BLOG IS THIS THAT DOES NOT FREELY PERMIT BEIGN COMMENTS... SUCH A HILLARY R. CLINTON 2009-2012

IS CNN PRO-OBAMA AND THUS WILL NOT ALLOWED CLINTON SUPPORTS TO TYPE THEIR TRUTH?

April 28, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Marshall in Nebraska

People how is this unfair? Go to anyother country in the world that has free elections and you will see that they need to prove who they are inorder to vote. This is just common sense.

I do know that the only common thing with common sense is not everyone has it.

They are Clinton supporters.

April 28, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

Very obvious what this ruling by the GOP controlled State of Indiana is set up to do. Disallow a large majority of common people from voting, plain and simple.

April 28, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. Julie.

If I were an Obama supporter I would not be bragging about his unlimited supply of money! I believe that is finally being looked into..

April 28, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Steve, Madison WI

This is and always was a Republican ploy. It is funny we are worried about election fraud by an individual voting who is not eligible however we allow electronic voting machines to have no paper trail. There is way more evidence of manipulation of elections by voting machine manipulation than by ID fraud. I challenge anyone to document that there has been a significant number of cases to justify such a law. It is clearly designed to discriminate against those who might vote Democratic (poor, elderly, minorities).

Can Republicans just try to win fairly (No they know they can't win without deception, disenfranchisement and corruption).

April 28, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Arkansas Undertaker

I thought that photo ID was a requirement for everyone who wanted to cast a ballot in every state.

It should be the law in every state to avoid voter fraud.

April 28, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Aces full of Kings

Why is this even an issue? No identification, no citizenship, no vote. You don't have i.d., you go get it, or you don't vote.

April 28, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. Tamika

well whats the problem? go get a photo ID.. in fact, how have they managed this far without one? Voting isnt the only thing that requires an ID...what the heck am i missing here..drivers licenses...state id's...just get with the program!!~geez

April 28, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Carlos

Everyone should have a Photo ID. That said. It is logic for preventing "Fraud" to ask for a photo ID. is common sense

April 28, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. Sheryl B- CA

When I went to vote for my first time this primary season I was shocked that they didn't ask me for my ID or ANYTHING! I could have been anyone. Why doesn't the government simply furnish voters with an ID when they get registered? Your state issued identification could even have a symbol on it saying you're registered, like the pink organ donor sticker on many licenses. It also would make sense to prove you are in fact a citizen in order to register. At the moment, all you need to do is sign something promising you are. This all leaves way too much room error/fraud.
    I'm for taking polling to the internet!

Obama '08

April 28, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. Johhny C.

It is good that at least one court saw through another democrat plan to allow dishonest voting.

April 28, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Paul

Perhaps they can begin an ID photo drive to get people their proper ID. This can only be good......Mike ..your last comments is TOTALLY ASININE........like a lot of YOU IDIOTIC HILLARY supporters.....SHE is a LIAr and a CHEAT.........and You are just ignorant.

April 28, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Yes, photo IDs are necessary in modern America. No, you can't change the law this soon before an election.

April 28, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. franco

Good grief!! Need an ID to check out a movie at Blockbusters or to check out a book at the library. You liberals are a real scream!

April 28, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |