April 30th, 2008

Blitzer: Has Wright been advised to shut up? And will he?

Blitzer: The silence from Wright since Obama's Tuesday remarks has been 'thunderous'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As I write this, there still has been no reaction from the Rev. Jeremiah Wright to Senator Barack Obama’s sharp condemnation of his former pastor’s comments at the National Press Club in Washington on Monday. This silence from Wright – so far – is significant. Some might even say this silence is thunderous.

Like dozens of reporters, I called Wright’s spokesperson to get his reaction. She told me he has so far not issued any written statement or made any public statement. I don’t know if that silence will remain in place. But for now, it’s good news for the Democratic presidential frontrunner. He and his supporters would love this whole story to simply go away.

I must say that when Obama blasted Wright Tuesday afternoon, I suspected that the pastor would respond quickly with a counter-blast of his own. Here was a man who is not shy. He had made a very deliberate decision to defend himself in a television interview last Friday night with Bill Moyers, in a major address at a NAACP meeting in Detroit Sunday night, and a question and answer news conference at the National Press Club on Monday. I didn’t think he would go into silence mode after hearing Obama’s very strong statement.

But now, more than 24 hours after Obama’s very blunt condemnation of Wright, we have still heard nothing from him. Have intermediaries advised him to shut up, especially in these critical days before the Indiana and North Carolina primaries? Or, has he decided on his own that enough is enough? Fair questions. I don’t have answers.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. curt sanchez

Please remember, that Rev, Wright has been in the white house before, he was the spiritual council for the clinton's during the Lewinsky scandal, when they were at a low point Rev.Wright was there to help lift them up, there is some good in him

April 30, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. awlswll

TOO LATE OBAMA....WHY YOU SAY YOU NEVER HEARD REV WRIGHT DELIVER SERMONS IN THIS MANNER IS REALLY UNDER QUESTION NOW...YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN YOUR FAMILY OUT OF THIS CHURCH MANY MOONS AGO...NOW YOU'RE TRYING TO DENOUNCE REV WRIGHT, BUT ITS TOO LITTLE TOO LATE...
    I NOW QUESTION YOUR HONESTY AND INTEGRITY...

April 30, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  3. maca

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Kevin in DC

Hey Wolf,

Whether Obama supports everything Wright says OR NOT...what does any of that have to do with gas prices and the war in Iraq?

Tell me Wolf, because I'm really trying to see the connection. Help me out with your incredible investigative journalism techniques.

Also Wolf, tell me how Obama's support or lack of support to Wright has anything to do with my getting health care as an unemployed student. And what does Wright have to do with GI Bill benefits?

Huh Wolf? Are you in the same country as the rest of us? The U.S.! Are you even on the same planet?

April 30, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. TONI

As racists as Wright seems to be, I am sure he will keep his mouth shut in order that his buddy Obama ,elected. Once elected they can go back to being good friends, and his spiritual leader! buyer beware!!!

April 30, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Samina from WI

Even if I did not want to vote for Obama, I would vote for him now AFTER HEARING WHAT HIS PASTOR HAD TO SAY. Americans just can't digest the truth. The world screams out the same thing that he said only to fall on deaf ears and blindly patriotic eyes. It is so refreshing that an American has echoed the same views. Atleast some people in America realize and acknowledge the mistakes this country has made.It is this sort of humility that will make America safer and nobler instead of being the BIG BULLY that it has shown to be in the past. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!..what he said is true. TERRORISM BEGETS TERRORISM!!.

April 30, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Hooray for Hillary!!

I think Obama is dangerous and what we don't know about him is even more dangerous, and we need to know about it sooner rather than later, so I hope Reverend Wright gets back on TV to get even with Obama for dissing him. Who knows what revelations he'll have about Obama if he gets REALLY mad. He's known Obama for 20 years, and I'm sure he knows about any skeletons in Barack's closet.

April 30, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Alston

Did anyone ever think that a black man, no matter how qualified, could easily win a election in a predominantly white country?

The uneducated whites have a mental block to change and the sensationalism based media is among the worst around the globe not helping anyone make a Informed Decision.

Any other situation and Obama would have already wrapped this up by now..

CNN can block my comment .. but the fact remains!

April 30, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. vict

Wolf why you keep on doing this?

April 30, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. jerri

The voters better wake up, if they want to win general election they better get behind Hillary.

Obama , I believe is a good man. But,he'll never get the red necks to vote for him.

April 30, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Eddie

Why do Barrack supporters attack Hillary. She did not bring this up or talking about it....The pastor did it to himself, and Obama did what he did...to himself. Get over it. No foundation = No Nomination...crumble crumble crumble

April 30, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. MMASH in NC

While it's disturbing to discover what some preachers in the black community believe, it has very little to do with Obama. He attended a church that was one of the largest black denominations in town. Why did he stay 20 years? It's not just about Wright. It's a social environment. Sure, you can see it as simply working within the existing power structure there. So what? That's what people do to get ahead. Otherwise, we would never have heard of him. But it's quite clear he has very different beliefs than Wright.

April 30, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  13. My belief not yours

I believe that this is a political move to make Obama seem better. I think this was all planned out. If you remember Hilliary started to make a comeback before the first Write outbreak. He came out and gave a speech and it all went away for a while. Now that Hillary is starting to make another come back it happens again. He gives another speech that was BS. and now it goes away. When Hillary wins Indiana and gains more momentum it will all come back again.

April 30, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. Ana in L.A.

To those of you suggesting that Hillary's campaign is behind the Rev fiasco- GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND!! Your candidate has had issues ALL ALONG that he's refused to addressed 'til now. He has basically created this problem for himself. He's a rookie and this is just another example of how he would not be ready to lead the country. Damage-control in this matter was obviously not handled well.

April 30, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. Adam FL

I for one think its kinda outrageous that it took Obama this long to make that kind of statement. The time for this harsh responce has both come and gone. He has lost any support he once had from me.

April 30, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. vjh

Why would dozens of reporters, yourself included, call Wright’s spokesperson to get his reaction ? Shame on you and the dozens of reporters, you are the ones guilty of keeping this maniac in the limelight. Put it to rest.........

April 30, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. Obama will NEVER be president

HIllary will be the best choice.

April 30, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  18. Jim Bremer

Wright finished Obama – end of story.

If the fuddy-duddies at DNC cannot see this and nominate Obama then Wright might go on to finish the Democrats' chances at the White House.

April 30, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. Anderson Imes

...And who cares?

April 30, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. Casey from Canada

Wolf, How to love me to speak and make you day giving your canadiate Clinton more boost

April 30, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  21. Al - KY

The Wright story is in my opinion a smear compaign orchestrated by the Billary and liberal news organizations. It makes Billary votes among Indiana republicans. It makes McCain votes in November. It makes CNN and all other news organizations money. I think all of these are selling the public short. We are smarter than that. It the economy, stupid! It isn't Wright, but it sure is right. It's the economy, stupid!

April 30, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  22. Grif

In a Word.... NO!

April 30, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  23. Moses, Ca.

Wolf,
    Can't you and the media let this one go. If and when the Rev. wants to come out he will. Is everyone trying to hurt Obama. I thought the media was suppose to be neutral. It seems like the media wants a war.

April 30, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. Mart

You wanted him to speak, he has spoken. Do you want him to continue to speak? Why not ask yourself why CNN have not endorsed Hillary. We know CNN's Anderson, Lou Dobb ....... are partisan and big Clintons' supporters.

April 30, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. carl from Houston

it's the smart thing to do. He HAVE MADE HIS POINT, NOW STEP BACK AND LET THE CNN NUTS ANTICIPATE, HE NOT STUPID AS YA'LL THINK WE ARE, YES I'M A BLACK MAN.

April 30, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |