May 5th, 2008

Clinton: Gas tax debate is ‘false choice’

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/05/04/dems.election/art.clinton.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton defended her proposed legislation to have a gas tax holiday Monday."]

MERRILLVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – Hillary Clinton returned to Indiana Monday afternoon, delivering her closing arguments before Tuesday’s primary contests and passionately defending the legislation she has proposed to make oil companies pay the gas tax this summer.

“I think you should have some immediate relief. In fact I think it’s a false choice – as my opponent and others have been trying to say, ‘Oh we can’t do anything in the short run to help people, we can only worry about what we do in the long run.’ People live in the short run,” Clinton told a packed firehouse in the northwestern corner of the state.

Clinton has been steadfastly outlining which issues she and Obama diverge on, namely, home foreclosures, health care and – primarily – the gas tax holiday.

“My opponent Sen. Obama disagrees with me, he wants you to pay [the gas tax], not the oil companies. And he’s always going on TV, and he’s always saying ‘oh you know, that’s just [saving] like $20’. Well you know, for a lot of people $20 is something,” said Clinton, adding that the Department of Energy figures the number is closer to $70 for the average household.

Clinton has also been emphasizing that it’s not just about the money saved but the message sent.

“When are we going to start laying down the line on the oil companies? They have been part of the problem, not part of the solution,” Clinton told her supporters. “I do see you, I do hear you. I do believe that you’re doing the best you can under difficult circumstances and we’re going to get in there and we’re going to reverse these circumstances but in the meantime, let’s provide a little help along the way.”

1. Bubba

She's certifiable.

May 5, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Griff

Dollar's in the pocket, are much better than: "Obama's loose Change"

May 5, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Bridgette - PA

Indiana, please don't let her fool you with this "gas tax Holiday". She is playing on your intelligence. Sop her tomorrow.

May 5, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  4. Greg

Bravo!

Hillary can save us $30 on gas this Summer!

Let's elect her Queen!

May 5, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. Bridgette - PA

Indiana, please don't let her fool you with this "gas tax Holiday". She is playing on your intelligence. Stop her tomorrow.

May 5, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Jane, NC

It is a false choice. Sen. Obama would have us believe that the choice is between a meaningless quick fix and a substantive long term solution. That's not the case. Sen. Clinton's proposes a very sound long term plan, but she also recognizes the need to include some immediate relief, which he does not. Whenever there is a crisis, as the high price of gas has become for motorists, truckers, farmers and others throughout the country, both immediate and long-term solutions are needed. She has more insight into this and most other issues than he does.

May 5, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  7. Navy Vet

It's a political ploy and nothing else. She needs a win in Indiana pure and simple, and she'll say anything to get it. Do you want to vote for someone who'll just tell you what you want to hear, or someone that'll give you the truth? C'mon NC and IN, PLEASE do what's best for the country tomorrow. Thank You.

May 5, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. Ardnuas

Voters.... Hillary is willing to GIVE you .30 cents a day for 3 months, while she and Bill made 109 MILLION DOLLARS..... Don't be a fool, vote for Obama!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08

May 5, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. janice

How can Hillary put so much stock into a stunt that she cannot even deliver. She is not President yet.

She makes it sound that begining next month you could have extra money in your pocket if it wasn't for Borack Obama.

She cannot do a thing about this this year.

Sorry you are being misled by the best.

obama 08

May 5, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. NLS

Well, we know that it costs $30 to buy a McCain/Clinton voter.

C'mon, Indiana, let's make the right decision and end this.

May 5, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  11. Sara

Send her out to pasture on Tuesday, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. ds

I guess those people who save $20 bucks but lose their jobs because the tax revenues disappear will still be happy.

Here's to Dr. Clinton, who knows more than Nobel Prize winning economists.

May 5, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. DB

She makes me puke in my mouth.

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. Steve from Oregon

If Billary really wanted to help people in Indiana and North Carolina, then she would take the money she spent in those states campaigning against Obama and hand write them all a check...hahaha!

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Terrence, NC

If she won't become President until January 2009, how can she suspend the gas tax over the summer of 2008? Shouldn't she being working on this right now in the Senate instead of campaigning? Unless of course, she's just telling us what she thinks we want to hear and hope we don't ask questions about the specifics.

THINK people, THINK! Stop being sheep.

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. GloriafromPA

Obama picked up 9 more super delagates. Hillary picked up 1. That dissolves her lead of 22 (originaly over 100) down to 14. Remember, it's the superdelagates that will decide this not the voters being swayed back and forth by CNN for profit. Google Paul vs Clinton and become enlightened.

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Dexter

Good one, Griff... I bet that one took you all day.

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. An American in Canada

I WOULD BET THAT ALL THE TRUCK DRIVERS AND ALL THE FARMERS THAT USE GAS FOR THEIR FARMING MACHINE WOULD WELCOME THAT BREAK.

"Obama's loose Change" I like that Griff, and I am going to use it, it will be his new slogan...

As in Obama give his losse Change to his Kool-Aid gangs.

PREDICTION:

H.R. CLINTON WINS INDIANA BY 53% OF THE VOTES

BIG UPSET IN NORTH CAROLINE H.R. CLINTON WINS BY 51% OF THE VOTES.....

AND LETS HEAR IT FOR THE NEXT PRESIDENT H.R. CLINTON.....

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. Black Voters UNITE

Deisel fuel will give give a .28 per gallon back to the trucker.

the below average trucker drives 500 miles per day 6 days a week= 3000 miles

Average truck gets 10 miles to the gallon; that's 300 gallons per week.
    300 x .28 =$84 PER WEEK for 10 weeks $840!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVEN THOUGH OBAMA IS A CHUMP..
    THAT IS NOT CHUMP CHANGE.

May 5, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Jesse

~~

Clinton is a LIAR

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Indiana for Barack

I will donate my $20 (or 70) to Barack's campaign. He knows what he is talking about. Fellow Hoosiers, lets bring it home for Barack.

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. jd

Obama says the Truth, it will make no difference. I did the Math! OBAMA/08

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  23. Steve

Math truly is bad in this country isn't it? $20 over 3 months is $6.67 a month. Woo, I can go to Starbucks one more time a month. 😛

Let's put this in real world numbers. My truck has a 19 gallon tank. One fillup 'saves' me $3.42. If I normally fill up once a week, that's almost $14 a month. Naturally, though, everyone things 'woo, gas is a whopping $0.18 cheaper!' and drives more. If I then fill up twice a week, that 'savings' has actually turned into a deficit. I'm spending more because I think I'm 'saving'. Even if I only have to fill up one extra time a month because I think I can drive more, I'm still losing (it's about $70 to fill the tank once).

Do people really not understand how this works?

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  24. SP

Iraq was a short run decision as well. Short run decision could be better termed short sighted. Think people. Think.

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  25. Mary

She cannot make the oil companies pay gas taxes. She is once again saying anything to get what she wants. This method will do more harm than good.

May 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |