May 6th, 2008

Schneider: The electability argument falls flat

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/sign.jpg caption=" Signs decorate the lawn in front of a polling station in Wilmington, North Carolina."]
(CNN) - The core of Hillary Clinton’s argument to superdelegates has been her electability – that she is the candidate most likely to beat presumptive Republican nominee John McCain in November. But according to exit polls, voters don’t share that view.

In Indiana, Democratic primary voters were equally split over who was most likely to beat McCain, with both drawing 48 percent. And in North Carolina, voters gave the edge to Barack Obama: 54 percent thought he was more likely to win in November, while 40 percent chose Clinton.

1. Reality

If Hillary steals the election, I will not only max out my donation to McCain but I will work day and night to see that she never sees the White House.

Clinton and McCain are exactly alike, except that McCain is much more honest.

May 6, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Susan,NC

Thank you IN and NC for voting for Obama!!!!!!

May 6, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. Connie, Tennessee

It wouldn't even be close if only Democrats were voting. Obama would win in a minute but with all the Repugs going for Hillary just so McCain can win big in November Obama has an up-hill battle.

May 6, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  4. Jack in ND

They called North Carolina the instant the polls closed...that means he won BIG!

May 6, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. William, from Cali

If Hillary was running, on her truthfulness , she would have quit long ago.....

May 6, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. Petrillo

Hillary has one all of the big states that would matter in November. I dont really trust any of the candidates but I like Hillary Hate McCain and Obama well I dont like him much. I dont think the man can run the country he loses more and more credibility with me everyday. Thats just me though I guess I will have to support whoever wins the dem nomination just to keep McSame from winning. I Say GO HILLARY!! NoBama in 081

May 6, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. Chris in Va.

The only thing that I'd vaote for Hillary to do is occupy a jail cell, which is where she belongs.

May 6, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. JD

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

As a democrat I will never vote for Obama.

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. Joan

Were it not for Rush Limbaugh and his idiots she would only have won PA by 5 and she would have lost Texas outright. Isn't it sad that she can only inspire people to do negative things? Pundits, we are sick and tired of you. We do not want to hear about Rev Wright. We don't want to hear about Obama can't winning white votes. Let us hear you discuss the Clintons cannot win the black vote, the young vote, the EDUCATED vote?
    We love Obama!!!!! Go baby!!!!

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  10. j. h.

Pat Buchanon need's to go sit in a rocking chair and just shut up. He makes statements and add's his own word's to things just like Hillary.
    If Hillary is getting the over 60 mostly white votes in Indiana that should not come as a surprise considering what was going on during that age bracket when they were in their younger years!!! Clinton is getting the people from the 20's ,30's and 40's who put black people down , would not give them good paying jobs, limited how many blacks were allowed in colleges by a very small % . THESE ARE THE ONES HILLARY ARE PICKING UP!!!

May 6, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  11. Ann

Actually, if Nobama ends up being the nominee, most will vote for McCain to keep Nobama out of the White House. Try back again, Nobama, in about 20 years.

May 6, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. Cowboy Jack

Hillary's won the states that count.... OH, PA, and FL.... voters in those states don't want to vote for Obama, which means he can't beat John McCain

May 6, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. ABC

Falls flat because of NC? Doubtful. Lets see everyone vote over again and see how many states he carries.

May 6, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. JANET

Hey everyone in Indiana, get over the Reverend Wright issue, HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!

May 6, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Christian

already called Obama with no precincts reporting, wow... that must hurt the Clinton fans, let's hear the CNN is biased towards Obama argument

Obama 08

May 6, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. Toddros

I live in CA and was a solid Edwards supporter until he dropped out shortly before Super Tuesday. I needed to choose between Hillary and Obama, and I found it to be quite a quandary before finally casting my vote for Obama.

In the three months since, Hillary's "do and say anything to win" strategy and constantly shifting criteria for victory have absolutely turned me off, making me quite sure that I voted the right way – she's basically using the same strategy as McCain.

While he is clearly not perfect, I truly appreciate that Obama will speak to us as adults, taking nuanced positions and generally avoiding the sound bite strategy that cheapens and detracts from the process.

Obama's real strength, and electability, stems from his ability to talk to us like we're NOT morons with MTV attention spans – in the upcoming months prior to the general election campaign, when he's not facing personal attacks from within his own party like he is now, I believe the way he treats and addresses the populace will set him apart from McSame and the Bozos who've been occupying the White House for seven years – This is what gives him a good shot at being President. Maybe I have more faith in the intellect of the voting public than I should...

Incidentally, I'm a 46 year-old white guy, and while I do have a bachelor's degree I really don't fall into Obama's typical support demographic.

May 6, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. Norman

Hillary is arguably the most polarizing character in American Politics of the last half-century, and she has suceeded in dividing her own party. What moron is going to believe she is more electable? The same moron who's convinced themselves that Clinton's a trustworthy candidate victimized by unfair political attacks. Wake up Clinton fanatics! Clinton can't win!

May 6, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  18. Sally

Well of course a lot of Hillary's supporters won't vote fro Brack Obama in the fall ... because they're REPUBLICAN. They wouldn't vote for her in NOvemeber either!

May 6, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  19. Hattie / Chicago

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. !!. HILLARY CLINTON YOUR MACHINE IS BROKEN..

BARACK OBAMA, THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR YOU ! ! OUR REPUTATION NEEDS REPAIRING !!!

May 6, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. Ann Romero

Obama is not electible, All Hillary supporters must now move to McCain. Obama is trying to steal the election with all his Africian friends, the biggest contributor is Oprah. Oprah has move from believing in the one true God.

Rev Wright and the whole Africian party is dancing in the streets. This county is loosing it way.

McCain is electiible.

May 6, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Relevant

OPERATION CHAOS IS RUINING OUR ELECTORAL PROCESS AND RUINING OUR COUNTRY.

May 6, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  22. Paul

SUPERDELEGATES – DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE? If the superdelegates are baited into opening the back door for Hillary on the basis that she is more "electable" they will evoke the wrath and disdain of many democrats and observers worldwide.

Senator Clinton, for heaven's sake, do the honourable thing and withdraw.

Bring on John McLame!!!!

May 6, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. Lisette Chicago, IL

Obama has trounced Hillary again.
    She can't beat him with her own Party
    So tell me how she thinks she can do better in the general election?
    The only people who vote for Hillary is the Bill Clinton base
    Which shrinks more and more every day.
    Send Hillary the memo...........

May 6, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. Teri

I know if Obama gets the nomination, McCain will win the general election. Too many people will not vote for Obama so they will either vote McCain or not vote at all..

May 6, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  25. laura n atlanta

If I can't have Hillary, I'll vote for McCain? What is the message people are conveying with that kind of thinking? It doesn't even make sense – it is like saying if Hillary doesn't win, I want George Bush.

May 6, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |