May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. D.Kimbro OHIO

Why are people still blogging about Rev. Wright. Get over it the trick didnt work. Go get your $28 from the suspended gas tax. By the way that will cost you double if this happened. Has anyone realized that neith Hillary (liar) or McCain (war monger) are president. They couldnt make this happen if they wanted too. Please stop the tricks Hillary. I hope you lose both races today so you can go home. P.s. How is Monica doing, I know that's private. So get off of the Rev Wright thing. Atleast Obama manned up and tried to address his issue.

May 6, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Stand for Obama or Fall for Clinton!!!

Obama will win!!!

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. RB

MI/FL can be seated, but they CANNOT determine the nominee. Period. Rules are rules. As far as Al Gore, who cares. He had an opportunity to stand up and be counted (like the other SD's) when it could have saved the party all of this nonsense and chose to remain silent in hopes of leveraging his "pull" for some job in whatever administration. Just go back to doing what you're doing Al.

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. rfsdjars

What a bunch of hateful people. Gore has already endorsed Mr. Osama by agreeing with Carter that Hillary should back out. He has disappointed me greatly. And I voted for him. Never again.

Go Hillary!!!! You have taken crap from every avenue of the media and still hung there. Obama is falling off his media pedastal. I don't know why they think he's such a great speaker, one of one he stumbles over every word he speaks, probably because he knows their all lies.

Come to S.D. Hillary, I'll vote for you!!!!!

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. Mike

If Al had put his hat in the ring, I would've been behind him from the start. I currently support Obama. The only reason I would even consider throwing my support behind Clinton is if Gore came out and said that he felt she was the only one in this election who shared his vision.

I don't see that happening.

A lot of people on hear sound like Republicans in Democrats clothing. He's wishy washy, he lost the election, blah blah blah.

If you hate Al Gore, then you'd be an idiot to vote for either Clinton OR Obama. Both of them are building on his ideas, which makes sense, because of lot of his ideas were great ones.

He's doing the right thing. He's letting the process run its course. He respects the voters enough to let them make their own decisions. He doesn't want to play the role of King-maker. He wants to let the best candidate win, because he wants a democrat, any democrat, to win the office so we can see real work on climate change.

Gore will vote, if he has to, when he has to.

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. John from White Plains, NY

Al Gore is the consummate gentleman. Quite frankly, he has been the President for the past 8 years who was not allowed to take his rightful place in the Oval Office, and we have been stuck with the village idiot!! Mark my words, if there is no consensus at the convention, don't be surprised to see a "Draft Gore" movement and he takes the nomination. That would unfortunately tune off too many Clinton and Obama supporters and give McCain an advantage and we will be stuck with another 4 years of corporate advantages and tax breaks to the rich along with conservative judges to the Federal bench who will try to strip a woman's right to choice.

Wake up people....!!! Enough of King George and his croonies!! Have the cojones and elect a democrat. While I prefer Hillary, anything is better than a reuplican for the next 4 more years!! High gas prices, continued conflict in Iraq. we have had enough!!

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. manny james marietta ga

Obama Can't win. 30% of the real dems will not vote for him. Young voters, Blacks, and first timers will not be enough to win.. He can't win without the Hillary vote. I am sure I want be voting for him. I have been a Democrat all my life. I am now 55yrs. This will be the first time I've stayed home in years.. By the way, I want vote for Mccain either..

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Icelander

It is strange to see Americans speak about Al Gore with this disrespect - when many of us non-Americans regard this American him as one of very few world leaders. Sorry he does not stand now - but listen good if he endorses!

May 6, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Susie

Well, if Al Gore cares the most about our planet, like many of us do, he'll endorse Clinton. We ain' gunna fix global warming with a speech! He is a briliant guy and knows how brilliant Hillary is. Not that loyalty mattered to Richardson, but Gore has also benefited tremendously by having been chosen Bill Clinton's running mate – eh? To get things done . . . VOTE HILLARY!

May 6, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Jeff

If you want more of the SAME, VOTE McCain. $4.00 gas. Profit to the Oil companies, and Halliburton. 100 yrs in Iraq. More DEAD solders.
    Friends don't let friends vote Republican.

May 6, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. norb

Let's see. Today the news is Al Gore may endors. Yesterday Tom Hanks endorsed. Prior to that Bruce Spingsteen endorsed. Michael Moore Endoresed. Julie Nixon endorsed. Oprah Winfrey endorsed. Anybody out there got a few extra bucks so I can buy some gas and get home tonight? I wonder how the Iraq war is going. They say the death toll in China may be over 22,000. Who cares about that. I just wonder who is going to endorse tomorrow, that what I'm looking for.

May 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Mat

I think it says everything that he has not backed Clinton yet – he was the vice pres' for 8 years to Bill and knows Hillary very well. It sounds like he's waiting for a reason not to back Obama – Clinton hasn't motivated him to make his big endoresment and she's got all this experiance and knowledge from her years in the White house, says a lot if the vice pres' at the time doesn't think so –

May 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Justin

Gore will destroy ManBearPig aka Clinton.

May 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Come on Al, Endorse Hillary Cllinton. You know we don't need another president who's inept.
    Remember -she stood up to the Bush administration and stopped the sale of our US ports to the Arabs. What would her opponent have done? He would not even recognize the problem.
    SHE IS CAPABLE AND ENERGETIC AND SHE GETS THE JOB DONE.

May 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. Jason

Hey Al, remember how important ELECTORAL votes are come Novenber? Clinton's won states have more than Obama's...

May 6, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Jack

If Gore or Edwards or Pelosi cared about the Democratic party, they would have just endorsed Obama by now. Instead, they've let this thing drag on forever, all the while Hillary's sabotaging the Dems' chances in November. And I'm going to get a few things off my chest here too. All this business about Hillary winning the 'big states.' BS. Like a Republican is EVER going to win California or New York (and like a Dem is ever going to win Texas [in which Barack got more delegates but the media dubs her the winner]). And about Obama not winning the white rural vote. What about Hillary not winning the young black vote? Why isn't that a big deal. If Obama's support in one demographic falters for a second, it's everywhere, but Hillary's NEVER been competitive in Barack's core demographics and nobody seems to care. "Barack can't finish the job." People seem to forget that Clinton 'had this one wrapped up' before Super Tuesday. Why couldn't she 'finish the job'? I could go on for much longer but I'll just be called a naive, latte-sipping, sexist, elitist.

May 6, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. JoeBrown

Gore has more intelligence and honor than Obama and Hillary combined. I'm sad he wasn't our President the last almost 8 years. America screwed up, and it has cost this country greatly.

May 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. John from NJ

Isn't it time that this country had a change in leadership? Gore will do the right thing and endorse Obama. He ignored the Clintons when he ran in 2000 and will do the same now. He was Bill's VP and still hasn't endorsed Hillary, that only means that he is supporting Obama.

Obama '08

May 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. Tex-gal

S.2433-global Poverty Act of 2007 was proposed by Senator Obama in Dec. 2007 requiring the President to further foreign policy promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and achievement of the MEILLENNIEM DEVELOPMENT GOAL, by reducing by 1/2 the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 to 2015, who live on less than $1 a day.
    Presently the U.S. gives .04% GNP, $15 billion a year to the U.N. for eliminating poverty, including education, food, medical, monetary , economic and trade development of impoverished countries. This bill will require this country to raise another $65 billion ,.07 GNP per year, totaling $85 billion a year, or $895 billion, or more, in the next 15 years.

Sect. 4 of this bill refers to econmic and trade development in these countries, to self-sustain or improve their economy, and would mobilize and help in the participation of busniesses, of foreign entities, etc., including private/public partnerships-trade deals.There go more jobs out of this country.

Debt enhancement and elimination is also mentioned. Maybe, this government should exempt foreclosure on home mortgages, so that citizens can help with the funding of this bill?? How about the Social Security Fund, it's diminishing?

OPEC is active in the U.N., with there outrageous prices of oil , they should donate some of their profits to help these poor countries. They are paralizing this world.

I'm voting for Hillary. She cares for American political issues, economy, jobs, gas prices, the Iraq War, and I'm sure, of the impoverished of this world. Vote Hillary!!!!!!

May 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Anita

The Supers will do what the people want in the end. DEMS have to unite when the nominee is named. Lets show the world what happens when our country does it right..... Don't bitter and angry if it not your candidate. They practically mirror each other in their policies.

DEMS in '08 UNITED!!!

May 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. JL

Yawn!!

May 6, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. rjs91157

D.Kimbro OHIO May 6th, 2008 4:12 pm ET

***********************************************************************

And yet how delusional is it to think that one man with no experience is going to come to Washington as president and make change (which he nevers tells what changes and how he will accomplish them- because he cant and he knows it).

I almost want obama to get the nomination and even elected just so in 4 years when he is voted the worst president ever I can listen to all his supporters say they never did buy into his fairy tale. But I won't have to wait that long for his humiliation because even if he becomes the nominee I get to watch him suffer the worse landslide loss in American Political History and that will be a riot!

May 6, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. CNN=Hillary Clinton

=======these democrats have no back bones===========

learn something from Repulicans, they stick together , no matter what.

May 6, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Chut Pata

1/2 of Sore Loserman 2000, you have a fine choice. You chose Loserman who is now a republican. I bet you will chose Billary and when she loses, she will cross over to Republican Party as well. That is where this war monger belongs.

May 6, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. bc-az

These super delegates feel like Guam right now – their vote has not truley mattered in the last dozen or so elections. They all want to hold out to see what will be promised to them – or they fear the reprocutions of endorsing the losing canditate. It's a joke and is at the root of what is wrong with our electoral process. Gore, Edwards, et. al – end this mess!

May 6, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |