May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. Andrea KC

Why do so many people seem to forget that HRC also supported stripping MI and FL of their delegates. It wasn't until she started losing that she had a sudden change of heart. To make things fair, why doesn't the DNC enact the same policy as the RNC-count 1/2 of each states delegates. In the spirit of fairness, since HRC was the only remaining candidate whose name appeared on the ballot in MI give her whatever percentage of the votes she garnered, and the percentage of voters who voted uncomitted or undecided (since this appears to obviously be a vote against Clinton) should be awared to Obama. It would be completely absurd to award 100% of Michigan's delegates to Hilary since even being the only name on the ballot, she barely mustered 50% of the vote. Let's just be adults about this whole thing and finally wake up and realize that even if we count FL and MI HRC still can't possibly win the nomination. It's time to unite people and make sure that we have a democrat in the white house.

May 6, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Democrat in Des Moines

Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama:

We were all being lied to by the Bush administration. I am not a fan of the war but it was supported by the majority of the American people when it started. Hillary was supporting our best interest – Obama was just lucky. If the war's outcome would have been different, do you think his speech would have any attention? No.

May 6, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. Matthew

Gore knows what it's like to not have votes counted in Florida. Hopefully he shows some solidarity with Hillary as a result.

May 6, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Katherine & John

The nasty Obama supporters could not possibly be our fellow Democrats. Real Dems are not that nasty. You need to show some respect to Al Gore and to Bill and Hillary Clinton. Obama's attempts to denigrate a former President of his OWN party have alienated many Democratic voters from supporting him if the Democratic party foolishly nominates an unelectable Obama.

Al Gore will remain a respected former VP of our Dem party and a respected leader in the world on our global climate crisis no matter whether he endorses in the Presidential election or not.

In the words of the great poet Maya Angelou, "RISE, HILLARY, RISE"

PEACE.

May 6, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Jim-Saint Paul Minnesota

VP Gore should stay away from endorsing anyone til all the votes have been counted. Hidsendorsement wouldn't count for anything now. I believe that voters are choosing who to vote for on their own beliefs and not on any others. I think an endorsement may be a big help for only super delegates.

May 6, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. Sheanne

GORE IS GOING TO ENDORSE THE PERSON HE THINKS HE'LL

HAVE THE BEST CHANCE OF BECOMING VP WITH.

May 6, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. SusanM.

Oh please Al...Hillary and Bill hung you out to dry and totally screwed you out of the White House. Hillary is in this for Hillary. She is a pandering politician who cares about one thing..power. You of all people know that.

May 6, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. Ed Stanowicz

Who gives a crap what this buffoon thinks!!!!!! Go away already!!

May 6, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA

Dear Fellow Americans,

Our Great-grand Nation, the United States of America
    is and will face very critical and substantial
    "Challenges" in coming,
    months, years, and decades to come.
    It is very essential that we pick out our next
    President on following criteria in mind.

1. A candidate with "Vision and Mission".

2. A candidate with " Stable Character and Integrity"

3. A candidate with "Presidential Temperament" and
    "stable Judgment".

4. A candidate with "little "Washington" exposure"
    and
    "real connectedness with New Voters".

5. A candidate who "Inspires us up" rather than
    "Tears us down".

6. A candidate not based on sexism, racism, and
    ageism.

In my professional and personal opinion, the only
    candidate who has the above qualities and
    characteristics and is also cool, calm, and collected
    is Senator Obama.

As an independent registered voter since 1980. I voted
    for Carter, voted for Reagan, voted for First Bush,
    and second Bush in 2000 and In the process last
    interest in Washington politics as usual and I
    stopped voting.Not a good idea under any circumstance
    particularly at present.

This time we can not afford to stay on side lines and
    let Washington stay the same.We can not afford our
    Greatgreat Nation to become less than what we are and
    can be.

We need to send clear and candid message to the world
    and some 24 hour partisan hateful media. These media
    outlets are trying to deprive, dupe, and derail us
    from getting it right this time.

They are trying there best to deny us better rather
    than bitter future. { Our Greatgrand Nations people
    are persistently and constantly subjected to
    Psychological terrorism" without their knowledge thru
    these hateful partisan media outlets.

We Americans are should not and would not to allow
    them
    psychologically terrorized, traumatized and silence us
    this time.

I am sure that we will get it right this
    time and elect Senator Obama our next President. let
    us not get dragged down into racism, sexism and
    ageism.

Let us remember that our Greatgrand is constituted of
    family, friends,fellowships, faith, funds,foundation,
    fun, and future with fairness and freedom and without
    fear or favor.

We can not afford to lose any of above. Let us stand
    up, be counted, save, build our Greatgrand Nation for
    centuries to come and regain our world economic, and
    power status back.

God Bless our Great grand Nation and its diverse
    people.

Our Greatgrand nation needs present and future
    stability, security, safety,sustained progress and
    restoration of our due status in this perilous Global
    World at the all levels.

Yours sincerely,

COL.[retd] A.M.Khajawall
    Forensic Psychiatrist.
    Disables American Veteran.
    Las Vegas Nevada.

May 6, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Concerned Canadian

Al Gore is going to come out and endorse Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Hillary's suspended gas tax is making more sense by the minute. A gallon of gas will be $5 in about a month. Savings will be realized and its start. A whole lot more than what Barack Hussein Obama can ever think of. He's a gospel preacher and a lousy one at that too. He's got no attributes at all for President. He's a divider ,not a uniter. If he wanted to win definitively he would have cooperated with the DNC and Hillary Clinton to come up with a way to count the votes in Florida and Michigan. Obama is too scared to lose and its pathetic. He wants to come out the winner in a shortened race. This guy is cheesy.

Edwards also is coming out to endorse Hillary Rodham Clinton. The Florida and Michigan delegates will be counted. Hillary will receive these two states handily. By mid to late June Barack Hussein Obama will be overwhelmed with this momentum swing to Hillary while being peppered with Bill Ayers and Rev Wright controversies, he'll be done like dinner. Nice knowing ya Barack Hussein Obama.

Hillary Rodham Clinton will be the next President !!!

May 6, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Mauri

I suppose I'll be departing this world some day still supporting Al Gore for president, which I've done since he first ran in 1988. But for now, I hope he'll decide to endorse Hillary Clinton, who is the only person qualified to represent our country. Like Gore, she is smart and wise and without any sense of scandal - although many have tried to connect them. I always have to laugh when someone threatens to bring up Bill Clinton's personal fall from grace. But that person should remember - that was his fall, not hers. Finally, I would hope everyone remains aware that the Clinton/Gore years in the White House were indeed the good ole' days.

May 6, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. Cindy

What is wrong with you people here you sound like the Bush administration.. He's looking for personal profit??? come on.. halleburton ring a bell, how about Cheney, oh yea and then there's the Bush administration.. LETS TALK ABOUT PERSONAL GAIN.. Get off of the bull and just vote,.. Al Gore should be the next president at least we would have a honest and caring person in the white house for sure.. but he isnt so GO HILLARY...

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Don't Bother

Please don't. You sat on the sidelines and let Hillary and Barack battle it out with NO help from you. While both of their supporters supported you in 2000, you choice to ignore them and America. I guess you were too busy polishing off your Nobel Peace Prize.

Argggggggggg!

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Nervous join the service MD

Scared Gore! Nervous join the service!

Hillary will rip you apart if you endorse Obama.

We don't need your endorsement! This should tell people something, why hasn't he endorsed Hillary. We all know!

Obama 08 and 12

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. jo

He's 'moved on' and is actually doing something positive for the WHOLE planet.
    Leave him be!

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. KM

I have respect for Gore but whoever he endorses DOES NOT have an effect on the candidate that I support. I consider myself a leader and not a follower and therefore I think that I'm capable enough to choose the right candidate for me.

Whenever I see people declaring their endorsement of a particular candidate, I say good for them but that has nothing to do with me except that we may be supporting the same candidate.

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. kathe oakland, california

Al Gore, you should have been the president of the USA back in early 2000 but you were cheated out it so you above all people should know how it feels to be pounced upon by all Clintons, media, talking against you, trying to steal this election from Obama. I tell you this there will be no compromise for Obama – he is leading, he should get the nomination, he should be the President of the United States of America in 2009.
    If he is not, America I hate to tell you this but you will see such a roar amonst the people – the American people who believe in truth, honesty and justice – that includes in case you don't know stupids, whites, blacks, asians, mexicans, native americans. This country has never witnessed revolt like they will see if this election is stolen from Senator Obama in favor of the divisive Hillary/Bill Clinton.

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Bitter but HOPEful

Recovering politician, LOL!

A true gentleman; too bad he didn't run again.... the American people are a little smarter than they were in '04.....

May 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. Mike

If I was Gore, I'd stay out of the light and far from a definitive endorsement. I don't think either two candidates are perfect, and Obama certainly isn't electable anymore. Three months ago I was Obama 08', now I'm Hillary or McCain 08'. I lost trust and hope in Obama. I do still have respect for him and his cause. He's just not going to stand a chance against McCain regardless of what CNN and other big media say. As time will go on, more stuff will be unearthed, as it always is–especially when it comes down to the wire.

May godbless all and this nation stand strong!

May 6, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Ross in MD

The new 59! HA!

Love that guy. Endorse Obama already pal...

May 6, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. He's AWL

Another panderer. This is just what America would like to change, rich people "pretending" they're for the people.

Give me a break Gore, you are irrelevant.

May 6, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Tim

Senator Obama is:
    – Ahead in # of states won
    – Total Delegates +143
    – Pledge Delegates + 157
    – Had out gained Senator Clinton in Super delegates since April by a score of 24 to 13. Eroded a 150 Super delegate lead down to 14
    – Leads in the Popular Vote
    – Leads in the National head to head polls

We welcome your upcoming endorsement!!!!

Obama 08

May 6, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Bitter but HOPEful

Matt from Nebraska: Let me get this straight: You're glad George W. Bush is President? So, you're one of the 31% still brainwashed?

Good grief!

May 6, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Brenda

This is to the concerned Canadian. I know for a fact since I have been calling people, that calls for Hillary are coming from the states in which she is running. I am in Indiana and have with other people called other Indiana voters to turn out and vote. I have even told people that I am glad they are going to vote so there voice can be heard.

May 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Anita

CNN is absolutely the most lopsided polictical coverage I've seen on any of the networks or online. Your network is trying to make the public believe that Senator Obama is ahead because of the so called black vote. I am black and voted for Hillary Clinton because I didn't know much about Senator Obama at the time. My family is divided by party ideals, as some vote Republican and others Democrat. We represent a standard, not an anomaly, in the African American community. Black people are all different. Can you believe that? Senator Obama is not winning because of the black vote. There are not even enough of us to give him the numbers he has been getting. THE TRUTH IS: He is getting white, black, Hispanic, Jewish and other votes. With that said, now will you stop delineating this race in terms of race! How divisive you are.

May 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |