May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

The lying witch will win.The early votes and the 100,000 Repuplicans who showed up to vote for Hillary. Thank you Mr. Rove and Mr. Limbaugh and Mr.Hannity.

It was reported that hillary would rather McCain win than Obama, because Hillary knows she can win over McCain in 2012

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

MR. GORE LOOKS GREAT FOR ANY AGE.

WE THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOOD YOU HAVE & ARE

DOING FOR NOT JUST THE US BUT THE WORLD.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Dan, College Station, TX

Gore calls himself a recovering politician. I think he is tired of the back room deals and backstabbing that happens in politics. I think he hasn't endorsed because he just wants to cast his vote and stay out of it. I understand it is the last step in the 12 step program for recovering politicians. Good for him. Welcome to humanity.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Mirko-FL

I can't believe that Gore is still considering HRC as an option. After all the crap the threw at him previously.

I think that his brain probably is 100 years old. Definitively, he is not thinking right.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. T Collins

Man, Obama backers on here are some of the most bitter, screaming, hateful people I know. If your candidate is in any way like you seemingly are, I don't want him running our country.

I think it's sad that there is a bitter polarity in the party, but let's be clear, it isn't the candidates who are committing that violation, it's the candidates' backers.

Own up. If you're a Democrat, be a Democrat. It's the ideals not the politician. If you're going to switch camps because of "your" candidate not getting the nod, then switch now, because you aren't true to the party.

If it happens, this is the reason that the Democrats will lose in November. Not because of a candidate, but because of the unwillingness of Democratic voters to come out of the pandering, angry mentality that they are whipped in.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. elaine jones

this country is in a mess ,the clintons could turn it around. what are you people thinking.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. ps

Tony/Tiachi/Kenneth – All of you are real BUM. Just like OBAM who can shout ( like empty vessel sounds much) but get defeated everytime in the debate with Hillary

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Roger from CA

Oh, just calm down, everyone! It is true that he may need to play such an elder statesman role, to help whoever DOESN'T win do so with enough face-saving to keep from ripping apart the party in the Fall.

We (i.e., those of us who recognize that the most important thing is beating McCain in November) will be much better off if Al stays neutral for now, so that he can be useful to help unify the party later.

Stop with the hair-trigger name calling. It isn't helping anyone.

May 6, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Joseph

Obama/Gore 08 !

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. CB in Florida

Alrighty then Mr. Gore! Your fellow Americans need you in a time of crisis and you just want to talk? Edwards let us down and looks like you, Mr. Gore are next! Man Up and give us an endorsment!

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Berat (Pronounced buh-RAHT), Park Ridge, IL

Oh stop whining, y'all. Al Gore has done more in defeat than he ever could have accomplished as president.

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. David Goldman for OBAMA

COM ON GORE SHOW SOME LOVE & COME ON BOARD.

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. vjh

another one without a backbone......

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. April in Texas

As an Obama supporter and one who feel you were cheated the nomination, I would love to see you endorse Obama. I respect your decision and can only hope you make the correct choice soon..

Obama 08/09

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Nicole in NE

I for one would love to hear what Gore has to say. I have a great respect for him.

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Joe Reg

AFRAID TO BE CALLED WORST THAN JUDA EH!

THE FRONT RUNNER MUST BE DECLARED VICTORIOUS.

IT IS HIGH TIME TO STOP THE CHARADE.

OBAMACAN 08!

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Jean

Obama is the one who can work with you Gore. You know it. Please tell it.

May 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Lynn in NM

Don't bother, Al.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  19. Quinn

Here we go again! The Obamabots in all their educated CAPS glory, whipping up into another frienzy to bad mouth a person who might not endorse their candidate. Who would have thunk it.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. Kareem from Hampton VA

Why?

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. Willy

Owl always looks one egeg shy of a full dozen. He's never been the same since GW beat him in FL and he tried to steal the election. You got to win you're home state Owl.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  22. Jeff Illinois

The new "59" joke is getting old, we've heard that 59 times at least. (Just an fyi). Let's see... voted for Clinton-Gore, Clinton-Gore, Gore-Liberman (yikes), Kerry-Edwards, and hopefully, Clinton-Obama. Note to Democratic party: Don't screw with this, it's been years since we had a winner. Obama will have his turn at inevitability. I voted for him once as my senator. He will clearly be a potus at the end of the Clinton terms. Sixteen years in the White House. Let's pray that Al Gore sees more than the five minutes ahead like the rest of the Obamabots.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. Susan

Gore didn't miss the boat. His boat was hijacked. The right wing supreme court appointed Bush.

And he HAS taken a seat by not endorsing. He HAS moved on. He has other fish to fry now and is doing a fine job with them. It's not that HE hasn't moved on, it's that the press and the candidates (especially Clinton) won't leave him alone.

Being an Obama supporter, I wish he'd come out for him, but I can understand completely why he doesn't.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. James

Even if Clinton won EVERY primary by 60% to 40% for the rest of the campaign (Including Indiana and N. Carolina) AND took 60% of the Super Delegates, she would not beat Obama in the total delegate count nor have enough to claim the 2025 for the nomination! She is done! Gore should endorse the winner of this contest.... Barack Obama.

May 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. Moses, Ca.

Al,
    Go for it. Vote for Obama. You know you want to.

May 6, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |