May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. Andy

I wish he was running, I would vot for him.

May 6, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. Paul

Because he knows what its like to have an election stolen from you,
    Gore should endorse Obama!!

The whole country knows Obama SHOULD be nominated!
    He is ahead on everything, closing in fast on Clintons
    superdelegate lead!
    The last time i checked its mathematically impossible for her to
    catch Obama!

May 6, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Robert - Portland, OR

If Obama wins this...
    I'M VOTING "PRESENT" IN NOVEMBER.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. Jack in ND

""He should endorse Hillary""

If he had the slightest intention of endorsing Hillary he already would have.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. bibian

As a follow-up punch, Blumenthal again dipped directly into the "vast right wing conspiracy" by retrieving and circulating an article from the current issue of National Review - the staunchly conservative opinion journal founded by William F. Buckley. The piece, titled "The Obama Way," was penned by Fred Siegel who, like Sol Stern, is a former 60s leftist who has moved to the opposite end of the political spectrum, serving at one point as a political advisor to Rudy Giuliani. Siegel's piece links Obama to corrupt Chicago machine politics, observing that "Blacks adapted to both the tribalism and the corrupt patronage politics" of Chicago's Democratic Party. In the process, he manages to throw in as many spurious ad hominem attacks on Obama as he can, calling him a "friend of race-baiters" and a "man who would lead our efforts against terrorism yet was friendly with Bill Ayers, the unrepentant 1960s terrorist."

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. 2Nurselady

I like Al Gore as an advocate for our environment. Any endorsement he may make is going to make him VERY unpopular with at least half of the people of this country which will be harmful to his ongoing efforts toward improving the environment. I also congratulate him on winning the Nobel Peace Prize. He has been a voice of The People and was deserving of this prestigious award.

Having said that, I think that Hillary Clinton's ideas about the environment and about creating new "GREEN" jobs which will both stimulate the economy AND help our environment is the way to go. These ideas ORIGINATED with Hillary Clinton and she should be given credit where credit is due. I think that, if Al Gore is serious about doing the right thing for the country in this regard, he would endorse Hillary Clinton, if he endorsed anyone. I think the Hillary Clinton administration would provide him the opportunity to lead a team to begin implementing the ideas he has long had regarding GREEN issues and he would be strongly supported with funding and other needs to get done what needs to be done in this regard. I think that, if there were personal issues in the past as some have claimed, they should be set aside for the good of the country.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. Maxine

Gore, is respected with Global Warming, but that is as far as it goes. He didn't do much for Kerry either. Kerry went for Obama, because the Clinton's didn't want him in the WH. Edwards is going with Clinton, the writing is on the wall.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. EXPERIENCE FOR TEXANS

Obama will have to have someone like Gore with experience. He is to green for the big game. All we need is another President like Bush, noe experience in the real political world. Obama and Gore sounds a lot like Bush and Cheney. We see how well that went.

Clinton is the only one with the know how to get things done and thank God the Electoral College knows it!

Clinton 08!

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

WE KNOW THE CLINTONS WILL CALL YOU EVERY NAME IN

PROVERBIAL BOOK, BUT WE WILL STAND BY YOU.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. kingsley

Al Gore is IN THE CLOSET SUPER DELEGATE. he is for Obama and he is just trying to play it fair so it doesn't devide the party. when its all over after June 3rd, he is going to come out and say the math secure Obama the Nominee. And I hope he beleives in Democracy cause he was cheated out of the presidency. Besides he doesn't want to be no part of the clintons scandals when it comes back out. I will hope so.

Where is Billary moving the Goal Post to after today? someone should ask her would it be fair if it was the other way around where she is winning and the nominee is being awarded to Obama? but being the liar that she is, she will probably say no problem.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. gerald strother

who in the hell is Gore??? is that THE NUT THAT A SAVE BIRD TOOK AWAY A JOB??

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Rob in Sacramento

please Al, just pick someone & lets end this thing.

May 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. vic nashville,Tn

Don’t endorse anyone now We need more referees at the convention
    My be you can win one more noble prize again !!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. Chris C from Florida

i respect gore and his green earth policies ... but i really wish him and edwards would just back obama and get it over with their dragging this out too long now. I mean jeus speople has anyone looked at the contests won???

Screw delegates, look at the contests won.. 31 to 15!!! THIRTY ONE TO FIFTEEN how the hell is she even still contending... hell shes backing a gas tax that MCCAIN LIKES! Wasn't she the one saying that siding with a republican was blasphemy, while obama was the one say we have to cross party devides... i guess she misunderstood... Obama ment party devides THAT MAKE SENSE, a gas tax that will save people a whopping 30$ and make the oil companies richer DOESNT MAKE SENSE!

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  15. NJ Independent

Its clear that with Gore and many other superdelegates that if they were going to endorse HRC, they would have done so already. I suspect that there is a big block of Obama superdelegates waiting to announce once HRC takes a hit in one of the upcoming primaries. Gore fits into this category.

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Ivar

I am sure that Gore and Edwards will side with Obama and are inclined towards him. The only reason they are waiting is becauser they dont want to look unpresidential. besides that knowing Clintons they dont want to have any mud slung on their faces. Edwards may be a little tricky because he may look at who would give him the best deal. By the way Mrs. Edwards who are you???

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  17. do good silence

Gore got really cheated in Florida. Why would he back Obama who messed up Florida again?

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. bibian

WE LOVE OBAMA, OBAMA/ GORE 08

May 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Edgardo

Gore is a bore! Endorsement should come after June 3rd & after the votes from MI & FL has been allocated. I'm sure HILLARY will win this!

Obama is not electable & has been loosing grounds, superdelegates are now doubtful if he can win the primary & the general election! This past 2 months have been an awesome months for HILLARY!

May 6, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. Tony

I hope Al Gore is for soultions, and will offical endorse Sen Hilliary Clinton, after all Al Gore with Hillary, will be the A team of America once again

May 6, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Eli of Stockbridge

Who really cares at this point. If he declares for Obama, Clinton will say it doesn't matter and proceed to call him Judas II. If he goes for Clinton it means everything and hand her the nomination no matter what. And the Clinton pandering press will make sure it looks good for Hillary no matter which way it goes.

May 6, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Vince

If Global warming is Gore's most important issue, then I'd have to believe he would be endorsing Obama.

Hillary's pander on the gasoline tax works directly against any real effort to reduce our reliance on Oil.

May 6, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. Gwen NC

If this country elects Obama or McCain, then it will get what it deserves again. This is such a serious decision. Everyone who voted for Bush owes the rest of us and the world a NEVERENDING apology. Especially to the families of our dead soldiers. Hillary today, Hillary in November. If the dems "GIVE" the nom to Obama, then Hillary should just go independent.

Good luck and God Bless – Hillary 08!!

May 6, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Susan in Seattle

I respect Al Gore's desire to wait and watch. I myself am a Hillary Clinton supporter, and would love to see him endorse her, but he is an American voter just like the rest of us, and therefore has the right to his voting privacy.

May 6, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Lisa

I really can't believe people are voting for Obama and he has no experience. You people should have learned your lesson when you voted for Bush. You don't know anything about Obama, he's scared to debate against Hillary, that should tell you who's the better leader.

Hillary 08