May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. Alan Boyer

Perfect; Gore can now repay the Clintons by endorsement Obama. Stay tuned.

May 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Obama will be President

Obama has 3 point lead in the Indiana exit polls!!!!

May 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Mary Ruth

Please fight for the voters' rights in the Flo & MI primaries. These voters did nothing wrong. The rules of the powerful DNC have been defended by some at CNN, and I do not know how millions of voters have been referred to as a beauty contest by a free press. This was how an election was stolen by the Republicans with Al Gore. It saddens me that the Democrats now do the same thing. Obama had a chance to be about real change & speak out for the voters to revote. It could have been a real speech, but he missed that chance. Why does CNN miss that chance?

It is not about a candidate. It is about the freedom to vote & to be counted. I do not care if the man in the moon made a rule that did not count voters. It would always be wrong.

On second thought maybe Howard Dean could go to the moon for a short time while we let the people count instead of The DNC.

May 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. looking forward

Let the best fighter win the race!!! Superdelegates..you make the decsion based on your judgement, not on the whims and fancies. You think what is the best for the party and for the country. If you think, your vote for Clinton will alienate the African American voters, young voters and it might hurt the party in the general, then go for Obama. If the vote for Obama will drive the rural white voters again to Republicans, think about it!!..You need to decide which will affect the party the most in the general election.

May 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Cali

Al......is too late we don't need you no more it still get nothing.

May 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Rene D, Bel Air, MD

Mr. Gore,

Barack Obama's surrogates have been playing mind games against Hillary Clinton for months now, and have been loving the only-now-fading media attacks on her for months.
    Now they do not want to seat Florida or Michigan, playing politics like crazy with the voices of those 15 million citizens. Politics of this worst kind were used against you in Florida eight years ago. Please support Sen. Clinton and not a repeat of the kind of treatment you got; our country has been paying for that for eight years now, and unfortunately will keep paying for it for perhaps a few generations.

Please support Hillary, sir!

May 6, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. maria

I can only pray that you back Hillary. She is bright and full of energy. In every debate she showed how much more qualified she is. The first time Hillary made Obama upset he also played the political game. What is he going to do about change when the republicans upset him? I guess he'll be playing politics also.

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Michael

I hope Gore votes for Obama. Along with John and Elizabeth Edwards.

All theree know the true colors of Hillary Clinton, she's not to be trusted.

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Lynette

Gore/Obama '08 / '12
    Obama / ? '16 / '20
    Thank you!

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Shady086

You know, I don't really care who Gore endorses. And for that matter I don't really care who ends up getting the nomination. Because no matter who it is, no matter how long it takes and, with a few exceptions, no matter who the winner picks as a running mate, i'd vote for Clinton or Obama over McCain anyday.

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Mike

Clinton/Gore!!!!

Go Hillary!!!!!

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Bubba

Gore is as big a liar as Hillary was, is, and always will be.

May 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Mike

A "recovering politician",now there is a rich statement.
    What a Bore you are Al.

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. Shameful

Shame on you CNN. You had to put a reference to Rev Wright on your site today. Still nothing from Peter Paul. Shameful.

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Mike

Hang in there Gore, the candidate you really want to endorse is working her way to victory.

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. NC voter

COME

ON

ENDORSE

HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN WIN THE GENERAL (DUH)

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. TIMBER

Of course he will endorse Obama, he is afraid the black community will be pissed at him. I don't really have faith in his judgement, a good man he is definately, but I don't think he would really see the big picture and endorse someone he KNEW could win over idealogy and political correctness. Sad.

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. Candi California

Mr. Gore being a party elder is a result of more than age, Both you and John Edwards might as well wait until June 3rd. Hillary is not going away she would rather kill the party than admit defeat. You endorsement should have come sooner if you wanted to have some impact. At this point Obama has won the primary and Hillary hangs on only because she beleives her own press.

May 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. Ken Williams

Remember when Hillary Clinto recently throught Algore and john kerry under the bus saying that they didn't relate to voters. Come on gore endorse obama now.

May 6, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. Sick and tired

It is such a White Mans Universe. I am so ready for a Nation that Marcus Garvey invisioned. Integration was good for whites despite the fact they did not want it and fought hard to depose it. Blacks made America a better place to live..everyone always ask if you don't like America then go to another countty..We'll America would not be as strong without the free labor from slaves, no matter how integrated the society gets White people will always be for themselves...But your day of reckoning is coming!!

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Larry

Dude. Nothing like jumping on the bandwagon. Late.

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Arc

To: jason

Well said, man. Well said.

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. looking forward

If Hillary voters in these forums dont vote for Obama, it is NOT because of Obama but it is because Obama NUTS.

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. Kirk in New York

It sure would help the party Al were to chime in on this race and bring momentum one way or the other...

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. An American

I wonder how Al Gore feels about the gas tax holiday?

May 6, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |