May 6th, 2008

Gore speaks: I still may endorse

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.algore.gi.jpg caption="Gore's endorsement could shake up the presidential race."]
(CNN) - It's an endorsement that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would love to score, but Al Gore has remained firmly neutral - even as the Democratic presidential race drags on months longer than expected.

Many have speculated why Gore, one of the party's most popular figures, has decided to stay on the fence, but the former vice president said Tuesday the reason is really quite simple - and he still may yet come out for a candidate.

"My purpose in not endorsing a candidate is nothing elaborate," he told National Public Radio. “I’m simply watching and listening to the campaign. As a delegate to the convention I will cast my vote at the proper time. I haven’t ruled out making an endorsement prior to that time, but I haven’t been moved to do so.”

Gore added, "I have respect for both candidates, they both have strengths, and I’m simply listening and watching like a lot of people."

The party's 2000 presidential candidate is easily the most sought after remaining undecided superdelegate and his is perhaps one of the few remaining endorsements that could significantly alter the state of the race. But several political observers have suggested Gore is remaining neutral should he be called in to play the role of "party elder" and forge a compromise between the two candidates.

"I don't like that phrase party elder," Gore said of that suggestion. "I am not anxious to be playing that role. I just turned 60, which is the new 59. I am just a voter, and a recovering politician, and watching it carefully. (TIME.com: Is Al Gore the Answer?)

"I don't know if that role really exists," Gore added. “I think the odds are overwhelming that it will tip rather decisively in one direction or another before the convention even meets.”

But Gore acknowledged the party may have to review its nominating system after the presidential primary race has finally ended.

“Probably it should be re-examined, but I prefer to wait until this is over to get a full picture on this has worked," he said. "I guess there’s widespread dissatisfaction with the idea of having so many so-called superdelgates, and maybe that will be the prevailing view when this is all over.”

1. Orange, purple collar, working male not for Dems

Holy crapper people.
    Al Gore, the Al Gore may endorse a candidate.
    I am holding my breath.

His endorsement may sound something like this.
    "I am here today to endorse the non toxic candle for use in all homes around the globe. Thank you, did I mention I invented the internet and the world is going to burn up and we are going to be canabuls"

Bunch of nut jobs following a nut Job. The Planters of the Political Parties. Full of Nuts.

May 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Karen

That Gore has not already endorsed Hillary speaks volumes, since he presumably knows her very well.

For those of you calling Obama supporters hateful screamers, etc. etc., surely you must know by now that on all types of message boards, the shrill voices shout the loudest. Those of us who have well thought-out, rational positions tend to roll our eyes at screamers on message board posts.

May 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Fed Up

Edwards should be the Democratic candidate for President hands down! He should have been for the last election. Unfortunately since he is a white male he didn't have a chance in hell this time around. Too many people are swayed, lead, brainwashed, whatever you choose to call it, by the race / sex crap. The media definitely did their part to sway people one way or another and they still are. From day one according to the media it was either Hillary or Obama. While Edwards did get some exposure, more so than the other candidates who were also in the race, it was nowhere near the amount given those two. How many people remember who the other candidates were? All candidates should get equal exposure, it shouldn't matter how much money they have or how well they're connected. Fair elections are a joke but when you consider how corrupted and crooked our society is I guess it isn't any wonder.

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Mendemoi

A STATES MAN IS BORN. SOME CLAIM IT FALSELY, AND THEIR FLASE CLAIMS EVENTUALLY SHOWS.
    Such restraint would have been expected of Edward Kennedy and Kerry and others. But because they are NOT natural statesmen, their false cover was blown. They were the first to show why they don't deserve such coveted status. Gore's action makes him one of the best of REAL STATESMEN alive. I adore him.

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. HANEEFAH

Mr. Gore: After the way the Clinton's treated you, I would think that you would have already endorsed Senator Obama. The Clintons are liers and cheats. What about the Hidden Thesis of Senator Clinton from her college, What about the Hidden Papers and contributions to their Library, What about Watergate, Travelgate, and their Pastor that is in jail or going to jail for molesting and raping a 7 year old child, and might I add a little white child. Why hasn't the Media and the Democratic Party spoken out about these issues. I am so tired of the lies. That so called gas tax won't hold water because Bush won't let it and it won't as soon as either of them get in office. "Give Me A Break"!

Haneefah
    Stone Mountain, GA

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Jason

Gore:

Go hug a sinking iceberg.

We are tired of polticians like you, Nancy Pelosi, Claire McCaskill, Howard Dean and Harry Reid making decisions BEFORE ALL people have VOTED.

Didn't Florida taeach you anything.

Tired of these so-called "leaders" runnng their mouths when they should be doing the jobs they were elected to do.

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Geez

Gore is the kiss of death!!! As soon as he chooses, that person will lose!

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Annie in Indiana

I think as much as John Edwards and Al Gore encouraged Americans to take action, vote, take part in changes to government – they need to get off the fence, off the sidelines and make a decision!!

i hope they choose Obama!

May 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. nancy

Al Gore:
    Voted for you in 2000. It was a bust, though.
    I read what you want to do; do you understand that there are many of us out here who are praying that we can hang on until November???

We would appreciate "party elders" endorsing people in hopes of getting this primary season over so that we may feel a little more confident of winning the election in November.

Just a thought from 'outside the box'.

May 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Beca

No one should have any endorsements. Let the voters search for the truth and cast their votes without someone telling you what to do. Am I suppose to change my mind because Al Gore, Pelosi, or Edwards say so? Give me a break, I have a brain, and Obama cannot fool me!
    Go Hillary! And by they way, my vote in Florida should count, how come they don't endorse my right to vote??

May 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. Rob

Rene D, Bel Air, MD: mind games? Have you been watching the same Democratic primaries as I have or have you bee watching soccer in Italy? Excuse me! Hillary is running now for 2012 and is determined to scupper Obama at all costs. She has loyalty only to herself. Mind games indeed!

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. MONICA LEWINSKY FOR VICE PRES

Who ares what boring gore thinks. He's too busy jetting around the world polluitng the environment.

Monica for VP so Bill can get some again

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Annie in Indiana

Jahmil – she didn't release this year's taxes (2007), but an estimate with a 3 year extension. In the summary it lists accounts in the Cayman Islands too.

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. Concerned Voter

Al Gore will be looking to satisfy his own agenda. Bottom line is that he lost the 2000 election. Guess what Obama is looking to get the nod the same way...By not having votes in Michigan and Florida count. What a hypocrite Al Gore would be if endorsed Obama. He may or may not endorse Clinton as he blames Bill for his loss. Maybe he should blame himself.

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. The Green Challenge

Gore WILL endorse Obama, once he would not only 'listen to the campaign as so many people do' but really look into his proposals.
    Obamas ENVIRONMENTAL PLANS ARE WAY BETTER THAN MRS. CLINTONS.
    Let's hope Obama wins both IN and NC, and Mr. Gore gives Hilary the final blow with his endorsement and a good SPEECH.

GOBAMA 2008!

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Car

I believe Gore should stay true and where he came from with the Clinton people are being paid to go over to Obama side by promises who knows what he has made to all these people ...but can he keep them don't think so Obama is just not the person for this Country at this time we need someone that can get started right away clean up after Bush and the Clinton and Gore proved that when they where in office and Gore was screwed over when he ran against Bush..sure what Bill did was wrong but he has paid the price dearly for it..

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. let the rednecks prevail

Al Gore has demonstrated again and again that his decisions are based on facts, making the odds in Obama's favor.

All the facts are against you Hillary, though I'm well aware 'facts' aren't relevant to your base.

A presidency for the rednecks by the rednecks? Yeah, I think we've had that before.

May 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Orange, purple collar, working male not for Dems

To Obama supporters:
    Gore won't endorse Obama because he is a racist.

To Clinton supporters:
    Gore won't endorse Clinton because he is a schovenist.

May 6, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Debby

Its going to be tough for Gore or Edwards to make a choice because they don't want to alienate Clinton supporters in the general if they chose Obama. Clinton can win without a majority of the AA vote and the youngsters, but Obama can't win without that huge 69% of Clinton supporters.

May 6, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Michigan voter

What's the matter Mr. Gore...don't want to endorse someone that might not win? Be a man and make a decission already!

May 6, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Shades

Dear ReneD,

It was the DNC that stole all the primary votes from Michigan and Florida. Sen. Clinton, Sen. Obama and Dr. (Disenfranchised) Dean all agreed to cancel millions of votes from U.S. Citizens. Now the DNC looks stupid and Sen. Clinton is in desperate need for electorial votes – even from places she agreed not to take.

Your problem is not Sen. Obama, it's that vote stealer Dr. Dean.

May 6, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. Billary

Obama is not Mr. Innocent either. What do you expect, they are all politicians....duh!

May 6, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  23. Susan in SC

After the 2000 election I cannot see Al Gore quietly watching if HRC makes a move to override the most popular votes and most delegates won position that BHO holds.

Al Gore SHOULD be our current President. I bet we would not be wasting young American lives and hard earned/paid American tax dollars supporting a civil war in Iraq.

I truly hope Gore endorse Barack Obama soon.

May 6, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Cali

Dear ReneD,

Your problem is not Sen. Obama, it's that vote stealer Dr. Dean.

May 6, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. mimi de la cruz for OBAMA

THE REPUBLICANS HAVE SINCE THE BEGINNING

OF THIS RACE TRIED TO PICK OUR NOMINEE,

STARTING WITH FLORIDA & MICHIGAN. OF ALL THE

PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY YOU BEST KNOW HOW

THAT FEELS. THEY HAVE PUT EVERY EFFORT THEY

CAN TO NOMINATE OUR WARMONGER. GIVE US A HAND.

May 6, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |