May 6th, 2008

John and Elizabeth Edwards speak out

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/06/art.edwardseliz.gi.jpg caption="John and Elizabeth Edwards appear torn on the Democratic candidates."]
(CNN) - Need more evidence John and Elizabeth Edwards are torn on who to endorse in the Democratic presidential election?

In an interview with People Magazine, their first joint interview since John Edwards bowed out of the presidential race in January, the Democratic power couple sound off on what they like - and dislike - about both remaining Democratic hopefuls.

When it comes to Hillary Clinton, John Edwards praised the New York Democrat for her tenacity, saying she "shows a real strength that's inside of her." But the former North Carolina senator also said Clinton represents a "lot of the old politics."

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Edwards said she is a strong proponent of Clinton's healthcare plan, though is disappointed the New York senator accepts donations from lobbyists.

As for Barack Obama, John Edwards said he wants to "see more substance under the rhetoric." But he gave Obama praise for wanting to "bring about serious change and a different way of doing things."

Elizabeth Edwards said she is impressed by the fact Obama has "motivated so many young people to be involved," though she does not like his healthcare plan and said his advertisements on the plan have been "misleading."

John Edwards later added he thinks itโ€™s a "great symbolic thing to have an African-American who could be president."

That sentiment, People reports, caused Elizabeth Edwards to roll her eyes:

"What about the great symbolic thing about a woman?" she asked.

"It's important. It's important. I know it," Edwards said.

Their endorsement could have proven pivotal ahead of today's contests in Indiana and North Carolina, though by the looks of things, the two need a little more time to decide.

1. Audacity to Hope

Dare dream, and hope. Change doesn't come easy. It is hard work, and comes with a lot pain.

Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Mary

I think John Edwards has done a disservice by not endorsing a candidate. He owed it to the people to show his mettle and decide. If the couple does not agree...then just say so. who cares! If each endorsed a different candidate they would be no different than a lot of households....did they have to wait and agree before speaking....weird. If he is waiting for a VP slot or cabinet post before deciding....then he is not the person he claims to be.

May 6, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Gerri,

In that case, then you of all people should know better!

May 6, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  4. Orange, purple collar, working male not for Dems

My Bad.
    So if my dad was born in Japan and my mom in America and I was born in America should I be labeled Japan-American? And if my skin is black because my mom is black, what then?
    I think maybe just being labeled American would do, don't you?
    I am trying to figure out how to label me.

May 6, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  5. Mike

Can someone define what the "old politics" is? Because if Obama wins the nomination and goes on to win the general, I want to make sure he doesn't revert to the "old politics" that he is so much against. But for that we need a very clear (not vague) definition of "old politics" and what his vision of the "new politics" is. So far, it's just these random vague ideas.

May 6, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. linda-Texas

"Elizabeth Edwards said she is......disappointed the New York senator accepts donations from lobbyists."

Hello Elizabeth–Senator Obama would not have had a dime to launch his campaign without the hefty contributions of billionaire fundraisers, corporate bundlers, who represent at least 50 percent of his campaign funding.

May 6, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. Another Obama Supporter

It would have been nice for John Edwards to make an endorsement prior to today's NC and IN primaries. They must both be waiting to see how NC votes and then follow along.

May 6, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Anonymous

The train of change has already left and because it has no break and/ or reverse gear it cannot wait for a couple that want to lead the country but cannot lack a leader at home. Ask Guliani!

May 6, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. No Hillary

Mr. and Ms. Edward: With all respect, I am sure you agree with me that It is not time for TALKS anymore...IT IS TIME FOR ACTION... make up your mind.... time for sweet talks is over...you need to act now..

May 6, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. rockus

Edwards runs for President and lost.
    Edwards runs for Vice President and lost
    Edwards runs for President and lost again.

No need to do anymore running. Obama is still politics of old. He said the gas issue is a gimmick by Clinton, but it turns out he already tried it in Illinois in the State Senate. He clawed his paws, demanding anyone who says anything racial against blacks, but he two-faced with Wright, Ferraro, his grandmother.

May 6, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Haydee Munoz

One of the comments that I hear frecuently is that some people hate Hillary, even the press welcome it .....a political comentator in Television said "This candidates (Obama/Clinton) hate each other".....these commentes should be void, they are no neccesary and has nothing to do of who these two persons are.

I tink that the hate for Hillary is based on how well she resolved her personal life at a sad and critical moment in her marriage, same people expected her to end the marriage, instead she stand up and faced the world.....only a super intelligent... well balance...a person capable of understanding the worse with good jugdemet and courage...most people will not even try to resolve a similar situation....Hillary can resolve any critical situation in this Country...I have not doubts she will be the best strong President.

I will welcome Obama as a Vice-President...he needs to have more experience to be the President he says he wants to be, and I hope his wife Michelle accept this.....it will be the ideal team.

May 6, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. Anonymous

This is the most I have ever watched CNN or so in tuned with politics.
    Favor is being shown to Hillary, but that's a good thing ,because the
    American people will judge Obama by his character ,how he handle the pressure and not the color of his skin or who his pastor is are will be. As a black woman, I think God that I don`t see color, but people.
    If God be for him, just accept what God allows, he will do the separation when he returns. You do know that he (God) in coming back? and we all have to answer to decision and actions, behavior etc.
    Barack it is WELL.
    See you at the top, because the bottom is to crowded.

May 6, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. suzy

Please keep in mind neither Obama or Hillary can win enough delegates to clinch the race before voting ends on June 3, leaving the decision to the nearly 800 superdelegates. So no one is winning. Let the remaining states vote including Michigan and Florida!!!

May 6, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. Peter in NY

For individuals who tie in every comment and reaction with race, ultimately, it portrays you as a racist. Clearly, Elizabeth Edwards rolled her eyes, because she is a woman and particularly for you women out there, if you know your history, it would be equally as historically significant for either candidate to win the election.

Clearly, I am not a woman, but you can bet on it that I would feel the exact same way, if I were. I feel that way about his comment now. To bad for women in general that some of you can't even see that, regardless of who you are voting for.

May 6, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  15. mike

No offense to Mrs Edwards who I do respect immensely, but why is her opinion on this matter such a big deal. John Edwards is the person whose decision will make a difference.

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. Cathy

Hillary doesn't represents strong women. Her husband cheated on her and humiliated her in front of the ENTIRE world, and yet she stayed with him, so please don't even start about Obama staying in the church for 20 years. A church is so much more than the pastor/ priest. Hillary stayed with Bill because she knew she would need for the big prize: Prsident. She's a LIAR and would say or do anything to get elected!!!!

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. voter in AR

Amazing! They didn't endorse anybody and all these supporters are putting words in their mouths, drawing their own conclusions and touting them like they are reality!

I'd really like for Edwards, the one that counts, endorses Obama... but I'm going to wait until he actually does it before I get happy.

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. shannonL

If the dems had any brains...they would find a way to nominate Edwards.

He seems to be the only democrat that believes in let the people decide.

He may be the only democrat that actually believes in people.

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. goodcitizen

Decent people like the Edwards are the best image of America. We love you. Let's get our country back, let the world respect America again.

Go Hillary, you are the one can do it.

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  20. MI White Woman 4 Barack

I like the Edwards but this wishy-washy can't make up my mind stuff is starting to annoy me.

Are they waiting to see who the nominee is so they can get the invitation for VP sealed up? Make your choice based on your gut....I am sure your gut will say Obama!

Barack Obama 08!

May 6, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. Keith

So now we see why Edwards has not made an official endorsement: he doesn't want to tick his wife off....I always knew he was a smart man. ๐Ÿ™‚

May 6, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Now we know why He couln't convince voters. He is too indecisive. Sad.

May 6, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Obatala, Yemaya, Oxun, Xango

please check IN and NC state official's websites, to get the facts on the number and totals of the election...........
    dont trust Clinton National Network News.

May 6, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. Peter R

Common John!!!! Take a side!!! What else canthese candidates reveal?

May 6, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  25. Sharon

I have now lost all respect for Elizabeth.

I never knew she was a raciest.

May 6, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |