May 6th, 2008

Schneider: White working-class voters stick with Clinton

Voters cast their ballots in Indianapolis.

Voters cast their ballots in Indianapolis.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s troubles with white working class voters continue to cost him dearly at the polls: Hillary Clinton captured the votes of two-thirds of Indiana voters who lack a college degree; the two split the white college-educated vote.

Clinton’s push for the gun vote seems to have paid off: half the state’s Democratic primary voters are gun owners, according to early exit polls, they supported Clinton over Obama, 61 to 39 percent.

1. Giulia

yeah– she gets the uneducated vote.... and panders to gun owners. What a gal.

May 6, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. James

Yeah yeah.

May 6, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. Sharon in Mi..

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

May 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. cory,fl

what can obama do during the general election when the black vote is 12% not as big as in the democratic primary

May 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

May 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Patricia

I'm white, I work, single mom supporting my family paycheck-to-paycheck and I voted for Barrack Obama!!! Oh, maybe because I took three semesters of college 30 years ago makes me 'educated and elitist?"

May 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. The best part is...

...remember when Obama was winning 11 contests in a row, and Clinton dismissed it because she was saying it was states that would definitely go Republican in the fall so they didn't matter?

Indiana will almost definitely go Republican in the fall, but I bet she won't allow that argument to be made against her. But way to go, Hillary – keep bringing in the poor, the uneducated and the gun lovers...that's quite the constituency

May 6, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Mike in NYC

Giulia wrote:

"yeah– she gets the uneducated vote."

Wow, a liberal, anti-racist elitist. Who would have guessed?

"Educated" does not, repeat, does not equal "smart."

May 6, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. Dr. J

I wonder if these people are racist? LOL. Obama brings people together.

May 6, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. J. Forbes, Texas Independent

And this is exactly why Obama will probably lose to McCain in November.

May 6, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. Victory for Hillary

Obama gets the black vote and elites. That won't win general elections!!

May 6, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  12. Ann, MI

I guess when she stooped so low that she adopted that fake country accent, they felt sorry and voted for her.

May 6, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  13. annie

how can they be calling a winner in NC five minutes after the polls close?

May 6, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  14. SLO Bear

No more riling the rubes and I mean it! Would anyone like a peanut?

May 6, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Hillary has the most vile, angry supporters I have ever seen. The Clintons strategy to try and destroy Senator Obama seems to have taken with the, undereducated, racist people in Indiana. I hope they know what they are doing to the party and I pray they come to their senses and support OUR nominee Senator Barack Obama!!!
    BTW they already called NC for Obama!!!!!

May 6, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. Linda

CNN is a disgrace.....................When the polls are showing Clinton the winner.......CNN can't call the election...TOO EARLY........
    2 Seconds after the polls close in Noth Caroline........OBama is called the winner by CNN..............give me a break.

May 6, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  17. Fonzi, an independent.

Hope this makes Lou Dobbs HAPPY.

May 6, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. JD

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

Hillary Represents the common person, she connects with everyone. I am a democrat but I will never vote for Obama, if he is the nominee, then McCain has my vote, I would rather have George Bush junior than an ignorant elitist like Obama.

May 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. Ann

Hillary or McCain. Obama has no chance to win in November.

May 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  20. Jay

And she will in the General election..who we need to win.

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  21. After further review,Texas

Guns, beer and pickup trucks is all they need.They dont need jobs,they got the little woman workin at Hillarys Walmart.

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  22. Mike in NYC

Annie wrote:

"how can they be calling a winner in NC five minutes after the polls close?"

Because it was mathematically impossible for HRC to win in NC.

The media spun the story to make it look like she might win, just to make BO's victory look more impressive.

He'd better hope for more than a single digit margin.

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  23. Dr. J

Well, if that is the case. Shame on racist people. People look at what you are saying. Wow!

May 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  24. Sally

That's okay ... they wouldn't vote for her in the fall anyway. Even Bill Clinton didn't win a majority of this group ... in either election.

May 6, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. Jbecks

this country needs more college education.

May 6, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |