May 6th, 2008

Schneider: White working-class voters stick with Clinton

Voters cast their ballots in Indianapolis.

Voters cast their ballots in Indianapolis.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s troubles with white working class voters continue to cost him dearly at the polls: Hillary Clinton captured the votes of two-thirds of Indiana voters who lack a college degree; the two split the white college-educated vote.

Clinton’s push for the gun vote seems to have paid off: half the state’s Democratic primary voters are gun owners, according to early exit polls, they supported Clinton over Obama, 61 to 39 percent.

1. Terrence - Winston Salem, NC

Jim – I agree. When you look at it that way, our votes could cost people their lives in a sense. Good point.

May 6, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. JD

linda from South Dakota, I do understand what i said, I am not ignorant, I just refuse to vote for Obama, Hillary would make a way better president that he ever would, however, if she is not on the ballot, I will vote for McCain, at least he knows what he is doing. I think our country needs more action over speeches. i used the bush junior scenario to reinforce my disbelief in Obama. America needs Hillary, she has what it takes to change from the Bushes mess, Obama will make things worse, he will be more divisive than any of the candidates.

May 6, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. Hillary has serious issues

Because Hillary, Bill, media, Ickes, and other surrogates have been playing on latent racist fears.

Now, Ickes is pushing the superdelegates based on current polls after attacking Obama relentlessly – that makes her more electable? Making descisions by poll watching is what caused Hillary to LACK the COURAGE to vote against force and the war... what makes poll watching and listening to talking heads like Wolf Blitzer and Bill Schneider it a good descision now? Nothing: Obama will make the more reasoned President.

May 6, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  4. Terri Ohio

The fact that people are asking how can CNN declare the winner in North Carolina when the vote isn't in yet prove that clinton truly has uneducated supporters

May 6, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  5. Will

Yep, proves that our public schools need to be fixed.

May 6, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Damoo

Yeah, she wins overwhelmingly among women and uneducated folks....

Obama wins among educated people, young folks and African Americans...

duhh

May 6, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. Drew, Central FL

This was no surprise. Why do you people continue to infuse race into this? How is this country going to move forward if the media and politicians alike continue to play the race card? Downright shameless.

Uneducated may not mean stupid, but guess what. An education does expand your mind, your perception and your abilities. You can do more. The less education you have, the less capable you are. It's a very simple fact.

Seems they proved it again. There are a lot of people that can be bamboozled by simple pandering because someone like them told them that they were being looked down on. It's funny how Billary say that about a guy who used to be on food stamps.

May 6, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Karen

If the media had given Obama the scrutiny which they gave Clinton BEFORE the primaries, we would not be having this conversation.

As for the Obama supporters being better-educated, I think you can read the blogs and see that this is not true. Their syntax is confused, grammer is sadly lacking, and spelling atrocious. I love the barbs that are thrown, as well. I believe the words 'Indiana white trash' were used a couple of times today.

I live in Indiana. I have a college degree, I own my own business, and I do quite well financially. I voted for Hillary Clinton.

The media created this mess–along with many young overly-enthusiastic Obama supporters who have looked at this contest as a reality show. Throw insults, back stab, make fun of your oppenent.

Well, it isn't a game. We're tired of being called racist and ignornant. I think when Obama receives more than 90% of the African American vote–that's racist.

What the DNC and the media have forgotten is that we ignorant, white, racist, old people make up a huge sector of the population. That means trouble for Obama.

Of course, it's not my problem. If Hillary bows out, so will her support and that means Obama will lose, as he should. Shame on him for refusing to allow Florida and Michigan votes to count. Shame on the media and the DNC.

For the first time in my adult life, I'm ashamed of my party.

May 6, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. K

Obama's camp said Indiana was tie breaker a few weeks ago. Now that Hillary is winning, Obama campaign says "oh we weren't expected to win Indiana". Uh ok. Spin. Spin.

May 6, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Mike

V Connors- OH wrote:

"if any of you Obamaniacs could count. Ialways here Oh!! he has the popular vote. Afraid not!!! count all the people who voted for Clinton in Michigan and Florida. She is ahead by about 200,000 votes. If Obama is chosen as the Democratic nominee without counting Florida and Michigan. I and many others will be voting for McCain or not at all. I grew up and was always told every vote counts. I guess I was taught wrong. It only counts, for those who steal an election. CNN is so bias, they make me sick. No votes are in yet and they give North Carolina to Obama."

If any of you Clintonistas understood rules, you would realize that when the DNC says "don't move your date up or you will be penalized", that there are going to be consequences if you end up doing what you were told not to do. I wonder how many of you would be clamoring for FL and MI to count if Billary hadn't won them unfairly? Rules are rules, and when you break them, bad things sometimes happen. Even your basic 3-year old gets this concept, so why can't you Clinton supporters manage to grasp it? Makes you wonder....doesn't it?

May 6, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  11. michael

B/C we are tired of being broken down into whites with no college education versus blacks (why is there no category for blacks with no college education?) Can we have an open discussion here? I'll never support obama or elite media ever again!

May 6, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  12. CJ in FL

It's amazing how this primary is showing the racism, sexism, and general hatred that is running rampant throughout the Democratic party. And all of these years the 'party of inclusion' pointed to conservatives and Republicans as the hate-mongers. Talk about projection...

May 6, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  13. PaJC

Such a strong performance appears to be evolving in North Carolina. Perhaps the Dems can flip the state in the general election. North Carolina has been Republican since 1976.

May 6, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  14. michael

what about uneducated balcks...cnn is racist and biased (educated white)...

May 6, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. harry K

CNN stop favoring OBAMA!! He divided the country in racial lines ..... I just want to know what would have being said if some racist back Hilary and she said she love him/her no matter what ..That is exacly what OBAMA had said for Wright!! Shame on him...Shame on you CNN!

go hilary!!!!

May 6, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. Stephanie Soukup

I say Obama for President and Hillary for Vice President.
    And if that doesn't work, then i say Oprah for President and Gail for Vice President. ( Big Silly Grin)

May 6, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Pete-WA

Thanks for still not posting my comment CNN. No dirty words, or anything the fcc would regulate. But you do. What are you afraid of? Keep up the Hillary Connection!!! NOT

May 6, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. sjp

plain and simple people if she doesn't get 60% + of seniors and women she isn't even in this nomination. yes he is getting 90% of the black vote, but he is also getting 40% + of the white vote, which would be even higher if not for the elderly and women. his base is the broadest and most represents the true democratic party.

May 6, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Doug, Florida

Where is CHERYL FOR HILLARY / HILLARY 4 PRESIDENT AND Susan, Mo or as she goes by now Susie Mo?????

Where are Hillary supporters tonite??????

It's over Babe. Barack all the way

Bring it on McCain. We will take you down next

Obama 08

May 6, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. harry K

OBAMA is racist!!!!

May 6, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. Mark Johnson

Thank you wonderful Tarheels! You've done the trick! Bye bye, Hillary!

May 6, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. TBOZZ

It's so sad to read some of the ignorant comments of people who are voting Democratic (Hillary), but says if Obama win over Hillary, they'll vote Republican (McCain). Wow, it amazes me that the economy that we live in today is not as important to the Racist folks in this world. You people are sad. Go Obama, no Weapon that may form against you shall prosper. Obama keep doing what your doing out there, because when God is for you, can't no racist be against you.

May 6, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. carrie

hillarys people actually believe that some states dont matter?hopw elitist is that?
    last time i checked all american citizens are equal.
    y'all need to go to college

May 6, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. Stephanie Soukup

I'm a Senior and I want Obama in 08 and Hillary for VP.

May 6, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. Stephanie Soukup

Obama's got it so, let's just all go and celebbrate early (smile)

May 6, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |