May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Scott Hughes ATL

LOL... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

May 7, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. john

Sen. Cochran must be unaware of another Sen. named Clinton. She is the all time leader of broken lamps in the White House.

May 7, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Kathy W.

If Obama wins the Democratic Nomination for President– for the first time in my life, I will vote for a Republican. My husband has said that if Obama wins he will not vote at all. I feel that McCane is a shoo in for the Presidental race.

May 7, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Linda in Va

Geez I so over hearing "my friend" from McCain.

May 7, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Gary, Detroit

Why don't you get angry about all the American corporations sending jobs overseas ? Why don't you get angry over China's refusal to stop their currency manipulation ?

May 7, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. RON

the bible says be angry and sin not....

I dont trust Mccain......he will push for another war ..... he will kill us all if he is prez...

May 7, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. Nunya

Nice comparison of apples and oranges...

There is a big difference between being one out of 100 senators where you know going in that you have to deal with others on that basis and being one out of one president. It's a fundamentally different balance of power involved.

May 7, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Terp08

I don't know if I should feel sorry for him or laugh! lol

May 7, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Madrugada Jones

This is so tired. McCain takes money from lobbyists. He's cool with torture. He's fine with being in Iraq for a hundred years. I'm glad the Democratic nomination is all but Obama's so the media can now turn the light of truth on this guy. We need you, Tim Russert!

Cartoons here: http://spinachflame.wordpress.com/

May 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  10. skip

Hey CNN, you forgot the last paragraph:

"Moments later John McCain ripped the microphone out of the podium and pummeled the voter with it before aids and security personnel were able to subdue the hot-headed Senator. "I should have done that to Lieberman and Feingold and Kennedy years ago!," McCain shouted as he was dragged from the room. "Take that, my friend."

Just kidding, of course. But somewhere in a parallel universe . . .

May 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. Gary Toylander

MCCain should be mad. We all should.

May 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. Carlos Navarro

Give it up, Hillary. Our good-ol-boys here in NC weren't fooled one bit by those speeches you gave from the bed of a pickup truck. They aren't as gullible as you think. They know that people who raked in 100 million in eight years aren't the kind who drive around in pickups or have friends who do. As Lincoln put it: "You can't fool all of the people all of the time. So give it up. You and your husband Bill–your de facto running mate—have run out of tricks.

C. Navarro
    DAvidson, NC

May 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  13. Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio

That is just what we need in the White House...Gerorge Bush on steroids!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. Uncle Sam

When his critics complain about Sen. McCain's temper, I am reminded of a story told about President Harry Truman. When asked why on occasion he gave his colleagues hell, he replied, " I just tell them the truth and they think it's hell!"

Americans for McCain '08

May 7, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Bitter Allen Hissein from Visalia

McCain is toast. He can only win 75% of the vote in an election in which he has no organized opposition.

May 7, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. Evie

To understand just how hotheaded he is, consider the fact that he called his wife a trollop AND the "C" word... in PUBLIC!!!

Yeah, that's a man who respects others. He treats his own wife like that? Despicable.

May 7, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  17. White Independent

Maybe these were times when he didn't get his afternoon nap or he forgot to take his pills. I know when my grandpa doesn't get his nap he can be a real bear in the evenings. Sometimes he forgets his pills and his blood pressure gets out of whack and makes him irritable.

May 7, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. GloriafromPA

I'm not worried about a war-monger with a temper. Are you?

May 7, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. Matt

Grandpa McCain....You should have given it to Huckabee

May 7, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. a no flagpin wearing american that thinks

Now what is the big difference between being angry and bitter?

May 7, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Maxine

McCain....are you kidding me? He gets mad everytime someone asks him about getting mad.

He can't remember who he is half the time......and yes we should be proud of what he has done for this country...but so have a lot of VETS, John what are you doing for them?

May 7, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. tblno

Obama is the best cand. out there, he gets my vote.

May 7, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. McWorried

John McCain – Hothead senile conservative
    Barack Obama – greenhorn elitist liberal

Once again we get to choose the least of two evils

May 7, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. mama4obama

Just look up the history of McCain and temper tantrums. I shudder at the thought of him being in charge.

OBAMA 08

May 7, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  25. el oh el

that whole exchange sounds scripted-

May 7, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |