May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Don

I worry less about his temper than his willingness to compromise with Zionists (Lieberman), Religious zealots (Farwell) and Pro Life enthusiasts!

May 7, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. Ted (NC)

If Obama wins the Dem nomination it's either a Safe America with McCain or an Unsafe America with Obama.

I read a report that terrorists around the world are celebrating in the streets after news Obama is closer to the nomination.

May 7, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Frank, Missouri

Old man yells at cloud ...

May 7, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Wendyalane

Holding Senator Obama responsible for the actions and views of his church minister Jeremiah Wright is like holding the catholic parishoners responsible for the actions of their ministers who have molested hundreds of children.

May 7, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Women for Obama

I'm less concerned about his temper, and more concerned about his policy opinions!

May 7, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio:

Correction: George Bush IS on steroids! (LOL)

May 7, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. Sophie

oh wait now he says the american people are angry (bitter)? what a dolt

May 7, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. After further review,Texas

John should have expressed his anger when he got shafted in 2000.I have no respect for this loser now.

May 7, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. hoang, UC Berkeley

Hillary, she's a FIGHER.
    I'm voting for her in November, no matter what.
    GOTTA BRING MY PEN TO THE POLL!!!!

May 7, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Sure

I feel the Obama supporters (and possibly the Obama campaign) are underestimating the force McCain has; look at how Clinton and her campaign underestimated Obama. Just because the electoral map favors democrats does not mean anything!

May 7, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Firm Support of Obama

DON'T LET HIM ANYWHERE NEAR THE 'HOT' PHONE HE'S HOT ENOUGH AS IT IS...

May 7, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. tap

there is a place for pople with such a caracter ,its the nursing home
    at 72 he needs diper and nurse

May 7, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Democrats Unite

McCain has post traumatic syndrome...nuff said

Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite Democrats Unite

May 7, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. Doug R.

Not only does grandpa McCain have a documented temper problem, he also has problems being honest and telling the truth.

May 7, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. No More Years, Lake Forest CA

John McCain hasn't been this angry since his pet T-Rex died.

May 7, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

bigben:

Yes, I agree with you. Obama is stupid.
    But he's mopping the floor with Hillary.
    So what does that say about Hillary???

We shall see just how stupid John McCain is when Obama smokes him like a blunt!

May 7, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. S

McCain, are you now admitting the American people are bitter?

May 7, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I can see how it could get mad.
    I'm pretty PO'd right now over the sad choice of candidates for President who have survived for me to vote for.

I think I'll just stay home November 7, 2008– because clearly no matter who wins–we're up the creek!!

Boy do we need a third party.

May 7, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Jed in Texas

Wait till John hears Hillary tell the fellas in West Virginia about makin moonshine,eatin squirrels and huntin deer from the back of her pickup truck.

May 7, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. Fred Flintstone

***Uncle Sam***

When his critics complain about Sen. McCain's temper, I am reminded of Mr. McGoo stubbing his toe.

May 7, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. Sue F

So he says he gets mad at overspending, hum, well then he should realize that the American People are mad as hell and were throwing all the bums out, bye bye McBush!

May 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  22. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

to "bigben"-

Stupid? Obama is "stupid"? Never heard that one before. Please explain to me how someone so "stupid" is where he is and you are not...

May 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  23. No McSame

Gramps was the same way at his age. GRUMPY.

May 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  24. Democrats for Clinton or McCain

McCain can count on my vote in November if Obama is the Democratic nominee – that's a PROMISE!

May 7, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  25. Edward

Just what we need. A hot-headed war-monger that actually sings songs about bombing Iran.

It does not get any scarier than that. I couldn't even imagine Bush doing that...

May 7, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |