May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ranjii

We definitely do not need someone who flies off the hook and has his finger on the nuclear button.
    Imagine Mccain losing his temper over Iraq not getting better and saying nuke Iran.....you need to retire old man...leave the business of running this country to the people and generation with the strenght, wisdom and enrgy to do it.

May 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. paul

whatever obama is, stupidity isnt one of them...

May 7, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. RYAN

30% of Americans that will vote for you 're living inside a cage....

100 YRS WAR
    GAS @4.50
    Economy in recession

May 7, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Will-South Dakota

Maybe somewhere in McCains geneology he's related to Bobby Knight.

May 7, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Alex

Age is not a big concern for me...if he's 150 and he can get the job done, who cares? What DOES concern me is his temper. I don't want the kind of man McCain is with his finger on the button. I want somebody who is cool and collected. Somebody who can think before he acts. I feel Obama is that man.

May 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

If its only temper it would be OK, but he is also a violent man, a vindictive man and in the end a petty man.
    Not really presidential material.

May 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Sharon Minnesota

Well, Well, it looks like before the dirt is shoveled over Hillary's live body, we are going to start using the Obama street tactics on John McCain. The real Obama/J. Wright spirit is rearing it's ugly head again. It's not going to work. Overcoming Evil with Good will prevail.

Hillary Clinton or John McCain for President

May 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Alex

May 7, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. Bayou Joe

You Obama fools and Clinton bashers have one thing in common,
    you fail to understand the real reason we reject both of them for our country. They, Obama and the Clinton's have no respect for hard working Americans and treat all of us as ethnic, racial, gender etc etc, groups, not as the Americans that we are. You disrespect our leaders, deride people who are successful and want to destroy the American way of life. That is why we will vote for McCain in 08.

May 7, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Alex

I like his honest over Clinton's lies. He is human being. When a politician says anything to get elected it means he or she has lost his or her value of being human. The important point is both of them do not have the level head Obama has. They also have one thing in common, i.e., they are politician of the past where as Obama is a man of the future.

May 7, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  11. MP-Pennsylvania

we are bitter and angry

I see nothing wrong with saying that

what is wrong is corruption, favoritsm in government and media

May 7, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. tom

i am more scared of a nuclear senor moment

May 7, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. rachae

How come when Mccain says Americians are angry their isn't the same backlash against him. Their isn't much difference between angry and bitter definition.

May 7, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Stop calling me,,, "My Friend" -I'm not..

...Dear John,

This is NO COUNTRY for OLD MEN... especailly ANGRY Old Men..

May 7, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Richard - York, PA

All I can think of is the scene from "A Few Good Men" when Tom Cruise faces down Jack Nicholson in the courtroom and Nicholson goes ballistic, screams at Cruise, says "I don't need this" and begins to walk away from the bench, the judge orders him back to the stand, and then the MP's are ordered to escourt Nicholson from the court.

This scene just may happen in real life if Barack Obama faces John McCain in the General Election!!

May 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. Parmonkular

A repeated argument I hear from Hillary Supporters against Obama is that he won't win the general election, but it is your votes that you are revoking that might cause that to happen.

Hillary supporters, please answer me this:

Are you really going to choose to either not vote or vote against Obama just so you can be right? Are you going to be responsible for 4 more years of Bush just to say I told you so?

May 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Stop calling me,,, "My Friend" -I'm not..

Dear John,

This is NO COUNTRY for OLD MEN.... Especially ANGRY old men..

May 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. jimmy vekmen

MCCAINS TEMPER MAY BE WHAT WE NEED IN DEALING WITH IRAN AND TERRORISTS.. HE SURVIVED PUNISHING IMPRISONMENT IN VIETNAM. HE IS 72 YEARS OLD AND MY SERVE ONLY ONE TERM AS PRESIDENT AND LET HIS VICE PRESIDENT RUN FOR THE SECOND TERM.

May 7, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Mel

What about getting angry over the lives which the senseless war in Iraq is taking from us, and the vast sum of money being spent there, and all this
    in the face of the growing need for several services here in America and all around the world. We should never trust an angry old man with such vast power and authority. He might get us into more trouble than we can handle.

May 7, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. Tejano

The people I like in my life and fighting for me all have tempers. They don't take crap from no one. I don't either and I hope that McCain shows his temper during the campaign. Wimps like Obama and apologists for my country, such as his wife, make me sick.

All my Hispanic, Chicano, Latino, whatever you want to call us will go for McCain in November.
    No Bama in our Whitehouse.

May 7, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Watching every move

You tell 'em old yeller!

May 7, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Interesting

McCain is giving a canned non-answer. He must have done something to make a fellow republican say that publically.

May 7, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. Chief lagosboy, NJ

Grandpa McCain....You Sir, are a liar! and a warmonger!

Our President Obama 08' & 12'

May 7, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. Ferdinand Morena

His temper is a concern of mine too. I have enough reservations with Cheney's temper. I wonder how much that temper affected the fights in the war room between Cheney, Rumsfeld and Tenet.

McCain's temper and some of his changing positions really make me doubt supporting that man.

May 7, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Jean

Mcbrain is a loud mouth loser

May 7, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |