May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bayou Joe

We are angry and bitter, with crooked politicians and left wing nuts that want something for nothing. The Obamas and Clintons of this world that are more concerned with foreign countries and how they view us rather than what is good for and about the Untied States will never control the presidency.

We love our country, we love McCain and George Bush. Come November we will let you know what we think of theleft wing Democrats and their view of America.

Give them hell McCain.

May 7, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. Bill McDonald

The only thing wrong with this years presidential race are
    the Democrates and Republicans! Both parties are losers.
    Yes, the American people want change, change from the
    corrupt, useless two party system. We should have a
    third selection on the ballot so that we can reflect a
    "no confidence" vote in our present system. Both the
    D&R's had the hell scared out of them when Perot got
    19% of the vote in that election. Since then they have
    done everything possible to eliminate a third party or
    independent canident.

May 7, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. H-ROD

Mccain could not beat Obama in any election any place anytime on anyday !!!!!!!!!! yes Obama can!!!!!

May 7, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. Darth Vadik, CA

Hey McCain, you're not the guy you were in 2000, you have given in, you have sold out,

SO STOP THIS BIPARTISAN TALK CRAP.

YOU GET ANGRY

WELL I GET ANGRY TOO,

AT YOU FOR KEEPING OUR BOYS AND GIRLS DYING IN IRAQ...FOR ANOTHER 100 YEARS

YOU CRAZY OLD MAN,

GIVE IT UP

May 7, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. Victory for Hillary

I – a democrat – WILL vote for John McCain if Obama is the nominee.

I would rather have an honest, moderate Republican than the empty suit Obama and his fanatic friends.

May 7, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. I have spoken

Why are folks suggesting that Obama will lose to McCain in the Fall? I beg to differ wholeheartedly. I think that McCain loses hands-down. He can't even read a teleprompter.

May 7, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Joyce memphis, tn

This article is about McCain's temper, not Obama or Clinton. If you want to post something regarding the two, please do so on the right blog...THANKS!!!!

May 7, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. Yale Locklear

I'm with Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, cold chills and all!

May 7, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Jack from IL

For Senator Obama to imply that “A McCain presidency will be George Bush’s third term” is about as accurate as saying “We will be attacked by our enemy in our country if Obama is elected president.” Neither are necessarily true, and Senator Obama should know better than to spread such blatant lies.

May 7, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. FEDUP

Call him old, his mother is going strong at 95. He may well be the next President, since it looks as if Obama will be the nominee. I trust McCain a lot more then I trust Obama...

May 7, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. rachae

He isn't just angry with a bad temper. But he is also wrong on all of issues. He has no plans and doesn't understand the economy and too closely attached with Bush.

May 7, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  12. Steve-Jacksonville, Florida

Johnny Mac continues to bore the hell out of the electorate

May 7, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. wait a minute

I would rather have McCain with a bad temper than Hillary with silent calculations behind my back.

May 7, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Barbara Fischer

McCain is an out and out liar! Most of the time it seems he didn't get the memo about things, names of organizations, time, and many other events. I think he needs to quit while he still remembers who he is. Also, his "100" year war, is stupid.

May 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. TyWebb

Look for a bi-partisan ticket with Byrd.

May 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. Where are we going?

After reading most of these posts, I have to agree that
    "Youth is wasted on the young".

May 7, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. tony

he doesn't know anything about the economy...what is there to get angry about?

May 7, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Bronzeknave

I'll believe that he's ready for the job when he releases his medical records–including any mental health records.

May 7, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Will

Can we dig up Ross Perot or someone to run? These people are putting me to sleep.

May 7, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. Jamaal Kansas

McBush has a Temper it Doesn't matter he won't get close to that white house seat that he craves so much

May 7, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. Mickie in PA

I would not trust McCain who is a warmonger and I believe still extremely angry about VietNam and out to prove the US can win a war. He would love to "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" and don't be fooled by him telling you it was a joke. He believes the US should rule the rest of the world.

May 7, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  22. Karen - Branson MO

I'm concerned too about McCain's temper flareups. Obama is so composed even under attack, but McCain gets very indignent. We don't need a president who is flippant like Bush nor beligerant like McCain. We need the dignity Obama brings. Especially since we have a lot of world leaders with short tempers already.

May 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. Andre

It will be an easy victory for Senator Obama in November. John McCain is an honorable and decent man, but he is not attractive enough to be president.

This is one of those elections where I, for one, will stay at home.

May 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. pat

He was so rude towards a potential voter during a speech yesterday, I can only imagine how he would be if he won the election. Who needs more negative actions?

May 7, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. ktown

big ben..really? that's what you comment about? i think even people against obama would still agree that he is in fact, quite intelligent. c'mon man, get your head in the game here.

May 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |